It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Propaganda war: trusting what we see?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Propaganda war: trusting what we see?

news.bbc.co.uk

Israel has tried to take the initiative in the propaganda war over Gaza but, in one important instance, its version has been seriously challenged.

The incident raises the question of how to interpret video taken from the air.

Israel released video of an air attack on 28 December, which appeared to show rockets being loaded onto a truck. The truck and those close to it were then destroyed by a missile.
This was clear evidence, the Israelis said, of how accurate their strikes were and how well justified. A special unit it has set up to coordinate its informational plan put the video onto YouTube as part of its effort to use modern means of communications to get Israel's case across.

The YouTube video has a large caption on it saying "Grad missiles being loaded onto the Hamas vehicle." As of Saturday morning UK time, more than 260,000 people had watched it.

Different version

It turned out, however, that a 55-year-old Gaza resident named Ahmed Sanur, or Samur, claimed that the truck was his and that he and members of his family and his workers were moving oxygen cylinders from his workshop.

Ahmed Sanur is challenging Israel's claim that rockets were targeted

This workshop had been damaged when a building next door was bombed by the Israelis and he was afraid of looters, he said.

The Israeli human rights group B'Tselem put Mr Sanur's account on its website, together with a photograph of burned out oxygen cylinders.

Mr Sanur said that eight people, one of them his son, had been killed. He subsequently told the Israeli newspaper Haaretz: "These were not Hamas, they were our children... They were not Grad missiles.".

The Israeli response was that the "materiel" was being taken from a site that had stored weapons. The video remains on You Tube.

But the incident shows how an apparently definitive piece of video can turn into something much more doubtful.
(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD Note: Please Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

[edit on 1/3/2009 by semperfortis]

[edit on 1.3.2009 by On the level]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Dunno this seems like the tactics the Nazis employed during WW2. A lot of dis information and smoke and mirrors. Ohhh the irony ehhhhh.
The Israeli propaganda effort is being directed to achieve two main aims.

The first is to justify the air attacks. The second is to show that there is no humanitarian calamity in Gaza.

Both these aims are intended to place Israel in a strong position internationally and to enable its diplomacy to act as an umbrella to fend off calls for a ceasefire while the military operation unfolds.

Israel has pursued the first aim by being very active in getting its story across that Hamas is to blame. The sight of Hamas rockets streaking into Israel has been helpful in this respect.

It has also allowed trucks in with food aid and has stressed that it will not let people starve, even if they go short.

Israel appears to think its efforts are working.

One of its spokespeople, who has regularly appeared on the international media, Major Avital Leibovich, said: "Quite a few outlets are very favourable to Israel."

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/3/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Heres the oxygen tanks will add the video soon

Here is the video

[edit on 1.3.2009 by On the level]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Both, Hamas and Israel use propaganda with the purpose of gaining (political) support from certain people or groups. Israel has been very effective in America and largely controls the media. In Europe they have been less successful since we've a more objective mainstream media. Moreover, A Dutch TV crew in Gaza experienced some Palestinians dramatizing with the sole purpose of changing the public opinion.

One Israeli soldier was very right by saying that Israel's strongest weapon is that of the American public opinion. It allows Israel to do whatever it wants since the US blocks any resolution against Israel anyway.

The soldiers I mentioned earlier on:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
greate find. star and flag.

hope it will put some light on what is really going there. as I know from other threads (one I did start by myself) it is a lot of ATSers blind on the way it is driven in Gaza area by Israelis.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well, If you look up the shape and size of both standard gas cylinders and these grad missiles, you'll already see that what was loaded on these trucks aren't grad missiles.

They are narower and longer then a gas cylinder and have tailfins, which are clearly lacking in the video's.

I'm still of the opinion that Israel's only decent cource of action to do what they state they are doing is to use Mossad to get intel and send in the IDF to finish of or capture Hamas operatives.

The way they are using is designed to cause maximum collateral and they are obviously using any and all excusses to kill, whomever ends up in their choosen line of fire.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Its not just israel (or the palestinians)

look at the recent events in South Ossetia - Georgia attacked the area , which had many years ago been given russian citizen ship - the russians then ame in to stop the fighting with alot of force.

as we have seen on here Georgia admitted to starting it!

and yes faux news et all - well it was a disgracefully obvious rubbish they were pandering (and yes russian tv was obviously biaesed the other way) so the truth was somewhere in the middle

the problem with gaza is that western media get killed when they try to report on events.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Another star and flag. It seems that Israeli propaganda can not stand much scrutiny. Instead of the 'Pallywood' dirge we get from zionists, maybe they should have a cold hard look at Israeliwood.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I dont know what will happen in Gaza now, I really think Iran will strike Israel and then we could all be in for a very poor year. If this is part of the American Governments masterplan to invade Iran then I think it is a poor one as I do not see Iran going as quietly into the dark as Iraq. I think we will see full scale nuclear war and if there is an American strike on Iran then I would predict a dirty bomb being set off int either Washington or New York. Sad times ahead

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Ive been saying it since day one of that Pallywood mess...there is an Israeliwood factor as well.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Can people stop saying 'pallywood'.It reminds me of Sara Palin.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don't think anyone here is surprised by this

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Note to the mod semperfortis:

I dont think I have sensationalised anything, it is Israeli propaganda and is the same heading as the source however have added the subject first as if read on its own seems very general. I have added only a few lines and changed none of the original content. It is sourced from the BBC News website. Sorry if I have led anyone down the garden path however is hardly like qutoing from scorcha faal is it

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Your confused there is ten times more propoganda coming from hamas and palestine then from Israelis. There is no way with the goliath muslim watchdog in that area that nothing exscapes thier press, on the flip side if they want to egg something on they will pull video from years ago up and do a little cgi touchup and then repost it as todays news. case in point rawstory.com...

I dont have a dog in the fight, but im now blind. I would compare the Palestinian/Hamas propoganda machine to the Hitler/Nazi machnine and if you cant see these its only because your a cog.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Sort of like this:

littlegreenfootballs.com...

Seems that a video was posted that was suppose to be showing civilians that were killed by Israel in the attack. Come to find out, that wasn't what happened.

More here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is an excellent article!

It's good to see that a state sanctioned press like the BBC is trying to take an honest journalistic approach to what's going on here.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Sort of like this:

littlegreenfootballs.com...

Seems that a video was posted that was suppose to be showing civilians that were killed by Israel in the attack. Come to find out, that wasn't what happened.

More here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you for that Jerico. I did check out some more links that followed regarding this and agree with this. It definetely seems to be fake. Though I'm not sure if you'll get many here to support your view since it might go agains how they interpreted the events and are more interested in being "right" rather than finding out the truth (what ever that truth may happen to be)

On my count though, you'll get a

I don't take sides on this conflict because quite frankly, it's irrelevant. Taking sides tends to blur peoples perceptions of the truth and the facts anyway because they feel it "helps" their "side" me... I'm just interested in the truth. Cold hard, undeniable truth. Whatever that happens to be.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I submitted my view about palestine in very mitigated terms to mideastweb.org and got an agressive and arrogant answer, apparently this is another israeli propaganda website that is trying to look impartial. Before believing what you read, check out who the provider is and where exactly this website is operated from. Search for background information before you contact them. Don't answer them after you know what it's about.
Haaretz is recruiting israeli patriots to "work" on "problematic" forums and blogs.
Just to remind you that there is an intensive effort going on and that some signs point to more war in the middle east - Iran maybe. Massive armament shipments are being delivered to Israel right now, is this a good sign for their pacifist intention ?
Peace to all of you, this is what I hope for the civil populations of both sides.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

wrong video - thats the attack which has been shown to be false and not this one - this video shows IDF from the air attacking a truck , there is a ground video showing the same attack as well , and the ground video clearly shows what was said - it was oxygen cylinders.

talking of fake video`s - how about the fake israeli video used to support the attack on the UN school? shot in a different school , in a different city in a different year.

yet the IDF used it to justify the attack on the UN school

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Yeah. I saw your attack on that school. An inert artillery round. Since when does Israel use inert rounds for their attacks?

Of the two sides, I'd give the Israelis a leg up over the Palestinians, or Gazans.

Those guys lie so much, they have to get someone else to call their dog for them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join