It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the bias AGAINST Hip Hop?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Lets put it this way.

Every genre has its flaws. Lot of rock (Older stuff, GNR, Van Pink Floydd, etc) along with Rap/Hip Hop/RNB EACH has talks about drugs.

I will use one of my parents for example. He loves rock. He despises rap. Why? They are gang-banging druggies. Doesn't matter what it could be singing about - he hates it.

Could it just be my city (I live in Cincinnati - very "segregated" city) or do some or most of you experience this too? I personally feel amongst older generations there still is a pretty large chunk of racists - and some even pass it along to their kids.

I could name PLENTY of songs from both genres that speak of love and change, while PLENTY of songs from both genres also talking about getting with some girl and doing drugs (whether you think they are bad or not is one thing - my point is that in societies eyes they are illegal and harmful).

Is it older generations not being open to newer things? Is it the fact that there are still that many racists around? I'm thinking its those two unless someone would like to enlighten me.

Just to note - If you just don't like rap that is one thing. I can not stand some genres so do not think this applies to ALL bashers.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Every genre does have it's flaws, and I would also like to state that in some instances racism is involved, but overall, I would say that rap has devolved into something atrocious and beyond repair.

When I was growing up "gangsta rap" was new and very popular. I was an avid listener of Tupac, Dre, Ice Cube, Snoop, Geto Boys, Scarface, etc, etc. I loved it all, and despite the overtly violent and shocking nature of the lyrics, they all had a story to tell. Often times they had important social commentary in their songs. The songs were a means of catharsis, a way to express they way they felt about their situations in a nonviolent, positive way, even if they were rapping about situations that were by nature extremely violent.

You do not see that these days. What you get instead is a bunch of immature, decadent, losers that grow fame based on their over blown egos as opposed to hard work and talent. They use beats we have all heard many times over the last twenty years. Those that are acclaimed are only acclaimed because they are better than the rest of the pack, not because they have something special to offer. Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Lil John, and the rest are nothing put a pale reflection of what hip hop used to be about.

As much as rock has been circling the bowl the last few years. I would have to say that rap is already been flushed and is currently residing rather happily in the sewer, and frankly at this point, it's probably where it belongs.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by Osiris1953]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You cannot call Hip Hop music. There are none. Just words. Besides, its getting too old. Something new has to come about.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brothers
You cannot call Hip Hop music. There are none. Just words. Besides, its getting too old.

There's too many retro rock bands now which goes back to the initial premise. Rap is art, as is Punk.

Something new has to come about.

You need new music technology for this. Not much going on there.

Finally: Some rap is actually good..... Others don't agree.... with me.......

[edit on 2/1/2009 by redled]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You could say why the bias against any form of music or any thing else, It's down to personal choice, you don't like it don't listen, I don't like classical music, but I don't go around hating on people who do

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I enjoy the cranking out of phat beats.
Street cheats feats noncomplete.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Want the honest answer as why there is a bias against hip hop??

Race and social status. Nuff said.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I don't like wearing caps with the sticker still on the brim which has not been broken in, and I also don't like wearing my pants down below my thighs.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
There's a forum dedicated to music over at BTS

I don't see conspiracy angle.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Angry Potato

I always take the stickers off of my caps, and my jeans don't go above my thighs, think you need some new threads man, leather is not a good look

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I hate leather. I don't think I'd be caught dead wearing it. Besides which, I meant that comment in jest. Just don't go poppin' caps, dawg.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think alot of people are put off by rap just because of the lack of instruments used. I know I am. I see these guys ripping older rock songs, for lack of originality or musicianship. The music I listen to is mainly for the music and not so much about lyrical content.

I want to hear the guitars, the (real)drums etc. not electronics and computer programs. I believe real and good music has a soul and I respect good players even if I don't neccesarily like the genre of music.
Programmed beats have no soul or human feel.

I feel the same way about most current pop music, like Britney et al. Rap and the like is over/mass produced by the suits now just like "glam metal" was back in the 80's. Producers grabbed and signed every band who had long hair and threw them in the studio and on mtv for the $. Now Rap has replaced the grunge metal... numetal... next until something new is born where the first few "artists" will be immortalized and the rest will be talentless replicas shoved down our throats.

The public has no time for anything real anymore, everyone wants instant gratification and what is more instant then mass production... regardless of quality.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Maybe it is all the wannabe "thugs" that identify themselves as hip hop artists and fans?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

There is a difference. Some of the music speaks directly to your soul. Take Sean Daley, aka Sluggo, he's a white guy from Minnesota. No one expected him to speak his mind so clearly:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Sorry there Mr potato those looked like leather pants and I'm not going to be popping any caps this morning

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Who cares if there's a bias against hip hop? That bias is probably the only reason the majority even listen to the stuff. I think there are already a few threads on this at BTS, where this one should be.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think this video sums it up.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hannamtong

pretty freakin much. Now a bunch of people are going to come out of the woodwork and say that's not representative of all hip hop, even though this is what they actually listen to.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
That's not even me in my avatar, man. I'll never be as cool as DiGiorgio.

Anyway, on topic, most of the good rap you'll hear away from the radio and MSM. It's not my genre of choice, but I can't deny that it does take some skill to rhyme like them. Just stay away from the TV crap and you'll find that a lot of the hip-hop artists that haven't made it on TV aren't trying to rap for the glamour.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I'll agree with you on that. There is some pretty good stuff out there, but most of what I've heard is horrible. Someone post some good stuff?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join