page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
Best in terms of pure numbers: China
Best trained soldiers: UK
Most funding/Technology: USA (Russia or UK in far second)

i agree but i have to say that the uk forces arnt that technology unadfanced i mean look at our lynx helicopter that fastest in the world
and our seaking or merlin best anti sub helicopter in the world

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
the UK is very advanced - i think that was more a reflection of funding, because the US spends many times more then anyone else.

the only complaint i could really make against UK tech is the rifle they use. It looks cool, but from what I've heard it's a POS.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
yes the rifle is bad but it works (sometimes)
the sa80 is a fantastic weapon u just cant use it indoors
also please note my eariler statement about the uk ok?
just wonderin what rifles does each country use?

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
list of rifles and who they are used by - last updated in 2000

What was your comment about the UK? Sorry can't find it.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
about there being 4 countries in the uk not just england
(i get a bit touchy about that)

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
For shear operational success, chutzpah and doing the seemingly impossible with miminal forces and miminal casualties, I've got to say the Israeli defense forces get my vote. what other Army and Airforce has done so much with so little?

They have driven off invasions by well supported and armed adversarys simultainously, not once but several times by using superior tactics against forces that far outnumbered them.

The Israeli airforce decimated the syrian airforce in a rout over the Bekaa valley that made history.

They have successfully pulled off many spec-ops operations such as the Enttebe raid and the raid on Osirak.

Nobody in their area of influence will take them on military to military allied or not because of the determination and tactics used.

Israel today has the power to take on any adversary short of Russia and the U.S. due to their medium size nuclear arsenal and the existance of SLBM on their subs. Even China, UK, France would be hard pressed to prevent a determined Israeli attack, you piss these guys (and gals) off and they will do something about it, maybe just not in the conventional sense, thats what makes them #3 to me.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
For shear operational success, chutzpah and doing the seemingly impossible with miminal forces and miminal casualties, I've got to say the Israeli defense forces get my vote. what other Army and Airforce has done so much with so little?

They have driven off invasions by well supported and armed adversarys simultainously, not once but several times by using superior tactics against forces that far outnumbered them.

The Israeli airforce decimated the syrian airforce in a rout over the Bekaa valley that made history.

They have successfully pulled off many spec-ops operations such as the Enttebe raid and the raid on Osirak.

Nobody in their area of influence will take them on military to military allied or not because of the determination and tactics used.

Israel today has the power to take on any adversary short of Russia and the U.S. due to their medium size nuclear arsenal and the existance of SLBM on their subs. Even China, UK, France would be hard pressed to prevent a determined Israeli attack, you piss these guys (and gals) off and they will do something about it, maybe just not in the conventional sense, thats what makes them #3 to me.

I agree - at the very least you HAVE to CONSIDER them for the #3 spot. Thats why I listed them on the first post. I don't think the average person understands their skill in war. I believe, as you pointed out, what makes them so dangerous is that they are very unpredictable - unlike most countries, they seem to relish attacking before they are attacked.

One thing I'd like to point out though is that since they are given billions of dollars by the US every year, as well as weapons and equipment, saying they have little may be a bit off base. They have very few weapons, true, but the ones they have are superior to those of the rest of the middle east.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
about that hing baout the air force thing i refer u to a cretain event in british history "battle of britain"

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I really don't think that Israeli military forces are "all that". When you look at the capabilities of their neighbours, it's really an uneven match. Militarily they really haven't proven themselves against good opposition and although they do have the advantage of being one of the only nations to get day to day combat training, they really haven't managed to sort out the Palestinian problem. Put Israel up against a modern technological nation and then maybe there can be a claim to them being something special.

On the other hand, their intelligence services are probably amongst the best in the world.

I would place China second. Sheer numbers and the speed of their technological advance means that they have leapfrogged the Russians. It's easy to place Russia second in our minds because it was our recognised foe and closest competition for decades - this means that China has largely been ignored. You also have to remember that as Russia was the intended enemy, weaponry evolved for specific scenarios. Some of this weaponry is not relevant to modern day tactics. For example - the UK has probably the most advanced fleet of submarines in the world - it's job was to defend the North Atlantic as a nuclear deterrant. With the demise of the Cold War, the submarine fleet is really only now useful for launching Cruise. Nuclear war between nation states is becoming an irellevancy and the submarine fleet is not having half the money put into it now that it was given during the Cold War.

For third best military, I would go for Russia. Their forces are degrading but it takes time to drop from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Maybe in a few years time they will drop further down the list, but at the moment, the Cold War has supplied enough power to keep them in 3rd place.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
i dont think china is actually better than russia because frankly the russian navy is really good and the chinese well they're navy is face it (v)
the chinese army may be bigger but it is not better size isnt what matters its tactics and training i mean the russian infantry are the best equiped in the world
but the chinese dont have actually that good an army
thier airforce may have numbers but frankly numbers in an air war dont really count in my eyes

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
If China and Russia were to goto war, navy would have little to do with the conflict, except for maybe air support.

China has the economy to support a war, Russia would all but collapse in an all out war with a top five power right now. This fact alone, the ability to make and sustain war based on economy, makes China's military better than Russia's.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
I really don't think that Israeli military forces are "all that". When you look at the capabilities of their neighbours, it's really an uneven match. Militarily they really haven't proven themselves against good opposition and although they do have the advantage of being one of the only nations to get day to day combat training, they really haven't managed to sort out the Palestinian problem. Put Israel up against a modern technological nation and then maybe there can be a claim to them being something special.

On the other hand, their intelligence services are probably amongst the best in the world.

I would place China second. Sheer numbers and the speed of their technological advance means that they have leapfrogged the Russians. It's easy to place Russia second in our minds because it was our recognised foe and closest competition for decades - this means that China has largely been ignored. You also have to remember that as Russia was the intended enemy, weaponry evolved for specific scenarios. Some of this weaponry is not relevant to modern day tactics. For example - the UK has probably the most advanced fleet of submarines in the world - it's job was to defend the North Atlantic as a nuclear deterrant. With the demise of the Cold War, the submarine fleet is really only now useful for launching Cruise. Nuclear war between nation states is becoming an irellevancy and the submarine fleet is not having half the money put into it now that it was given during the Cold War.

For third best military, I would go for Russia. Their forces are degrading but it takes time to drop from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. Maybe in a few years time they will drop further down the list, but at the moment, the Cold War has supplied enough power to keep them in 3rd place.

The IDF has (I believe) the 4th largest military in the world (in terms of numbers, I know they are around a million). They have U.S. tech - in many cases, they get the tech before the US even gets it! Their AF is combat proven, as are their ground forces - they have enjoyed the same level of dominance in the middle east that the US has. Put it this way, if i'm the US about to go to war, and get to choose 2 of my allies to go to war with, Isreal and UK are the 2 I pick.

As for Russia being third, sorry - they are far and away number 2. I would go so far as to say they are closer to being number 1 then they are number 3. China has not come close to "leapfrogging" Russian tech - that is almost laughable.

They buy all their stuff from Russia! Check out their airforce...Russian designed aircraft. The stuff they have made on their own has been a poorly reverse engineered combo of US and Russian stuff, and to be frank, it sucks. If Russia and China were to go at it, Russia would OWN the sky, and all those GI's would be dead. It's that simple.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by oscrogo
If China and Russia were to goto war, navy would have little to do with the conflict, except for maybe air support.

China has the economy to support a war, Russia would all but collapse in an all out war with a top five power right now. This fact alone, the ability to make and sustain war based on economy, makes China's military better than Russia's.

Thats what Hitler thought during WWII - frankly, the Russians are an amazingly reziliant people - They wouldn't NEED an economy during a war. They would all work for free. Plus, like I mentioned, Russian leaders know what they are doing, China well, hasn't been in a war that I can think of. Look at the post I had a little bit back - China couldn't even invade Taiwan right now - much less the Russian Bear.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
he he the russian bear i always liked that name
and the american eagle or the ...............umm chinese dragon or umm can any 1 else think of another?

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Russia's economy was in a much better state before WWII than it is now. Also, the USSR benifited from Germany's stretched supply lines and equipment that was not suited for winter fighting at all (Germany was pretty much kicking the Commie's ass, t34 and all, up until the end of 43).

There is NO WAY Russia could sustain a prolonged war effort now, they would run out of money extremely fast... It would be hard enough for them to recommission some of their armour and air divisions, and forget about their navy.. China's economy is booming and their industrial capacity will soon exceed Russia's (if it has not already). China would simply out produce Russia to win a war...

It does not matter how battle hardened and tactically sound you are, if you do not have the money to back you up, you will not last long in a war...

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by oscrogo]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
well that isnt technicaly true u know
technicaly speaking if u have a large stockpile u dont need money AT THE MOMENT but for a prolonged war they would simply get loans
but the sheer number of weapons the russains have would be able to sustain them for a while at least

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
China China's the third they are pretty strong

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
thier also pretty under amred

D

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Don't underestimate China. They have been modernising for the last 3 decades and their defence spending is increasing every year.

As for the third best military. I would probably say Israel or the UK. The Australian Defence Force could possibly be, if it weren't so small.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
isreals def force is really quite good, thier intel services are the best in the world
the australians are actually quite good thier asas teams are as good as the british SAS

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join