What is the 3rd best military ??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
I'd have go with the UK. They have carriers, so they can project force, better than anyone, except the US and maybe better than Russia. They have great technology. The US has adopted a lot of it. They have a 1st class intelligence network. They probably have some of the best training around and probably the best special operations force out there. Plus, I think they are professional and have always beat the odds it seems

I'd agree - they have great force projection, and what they lack in numbers thhey make up for in training and tech. The SAS kicks major ass.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hmm...my belief is, that if you have the will to win, you shall. Now, in technology, the USA no doubt. Budget? USA no doubt. Now then, China would win in hand-to-hand combat (2 million strong), However, the US's technology could easily wipe them out. N.K. is nuclear, but what are they gonna use them for? If they nuke someone, they get nuked, simple as that. Nukes, I believe are more propaganda and just for bragging rights more than for actual use. The more you have, the more intimidating you look. Now, Russia. Russia shouldn't be acting like a superpower anymore, because they aren't. However, they aren't pushovers, either. My vote for best special forces group in the world would probably go to Spetnaz or the SEALs, or maybe even SAS. Like Fry said, it is relative, it depends on what you are judging on. Now, in records, the U.S. is 11 - 1 (if you count Vietnam as a loss, we pulled back, however, it is a little known fact, that we actually won a good majority of battles that we were in, in direct combat. The Vietcong defeated us using traps, not in direct combat. Actually, we (U.S.) almost always defeated the VietCong in direct battles. Thats fact, look it up. So, if you count vietnam as a loss (I consider half and half, considering we pulled out (because of political stand points), yet we defeated them numerous times in statistics. 11 - 1 is pretty damn good if you ask me. I don't know other countries 'stats', but I think 11 - 1 is great.

2 Cents.

-wD

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
"there was a site i cant rem it but it had the worlds army lists in order and u know what shocked me?
britain just beat the mexican army i mean come on the bloody taiwanese army was better than us
(small note i couldnt c any of the real powers of the world)"

Maybe its a list of the world's biggest military instead of power? The British military is pretty small, that could be the reason.

I think China would probably be the third strongest military. They're a pretty big, it doesn't have 200 million troops, but has a huge available manpower from it's 1.3 billion people.

Someone said that N.Korea could be on the list, but I think the S.Korea has a slightly stronger military. Not that they would be on the #3 spot, probably 7 or 8.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by gooking]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
And, Japan has a decent defense force, especially some of it's modern naval ships.

To give you an idea though of how large the US Navy is, or could be, I read somewhere if they were to activate their inactive ships, subs, carriers, etc, that fleet alone would be the 3rd largest in the world. Behind itself and Russia.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
India has the second largest navy after the US. With over a billion people in the country look out for them in the future.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooking
"there was a site i cant rem it but it had the worlds army lists in order and u know what shocked me?
britain just beat the mexican army i mean come on the bloody taiwanese army was better than us
(small note i couldnt c any of the real powers of the world)"

Maybe its a list of the world's biggest military instead of power? The British military is pretty small, that could be the reason.

I think China would probably be the third strongest military. They're a pretty big, it doesn't have 200 million troops, but has a huge available manpower from it's 1.3 billion people.

Someone said that N.Korea could be on the list, but I think the S.Korea has a slightly stronger military. Not that they would be on the #3 spot, probably 7 or 8.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by gooking]

I'd say N. Korea is over S. Korea with it's man power, the south has US weapons though.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The only problem with Japan being powerful and all is that they can't make an offensive attack move. This came about after WW2 when they surrended to the U.S., one term out of the many was that Japan was NO LONGER able to use their military force for offensive attacks. The only reason they would be able to would be in the use of defense. So I would count them out...

-wD

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
India has the second largest navy after the US. With over a billion people in the country look out for them in the future.

I totally agree!
IMO, if there is another WW, it will be china/india, not the US.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
That would be interesting. India has a history of being invaded by land. Their navy wouldn't help them much then. It would be an even fight. And look at the #'s. A truely heavyweight battle. One third of the worlds population at war, with only 2 countries involved.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
The only problem with Japan being powerful and all is that they can't make an offensive attack move. This came about after WW2 when they surrended to the U.S., one term out of the many was that Japan was NO LONGER able to use their military force for offensive attacks. The only reason they would be able to would be in the use of defense. So I would count them out...

-wD

Not trying to call you out or anything, but didn't Japan send a small number of men to Iraq? Or am I wrong?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
That would be interesting. India has a history of being invaded by land. Their navy wouldn't help them much then. It would be an even fight. And look at the #'s. A truely heavyweight battle. One third of the worlds population at war, with only 2 countries involved.

Yeah - the navy wouldn't play that big a part. Probably they would use the carrier they have (or do they have more then 1? I don't know) for support or to counter attack. 2 Nuke powers sitting next to each other with huge populations each looking to expand it's power. Could get interesting in the next 20+ years.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Japan does have troops in Iraq. As do many other countries that most people don't know about.

Japan's troops are working on reconstruction efforts which don't violate its law. They have however stated if N. Korea was about to launch against them they wouldn't rule out premptive action.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
Japan does have troops in Iraq. As do many other countries that most people don't know about.

Japan's troops are working on reconstruction efforts which don't violate its law. They have however stated if N. Korea was about to launch against them they wouldn't rule out premptive action.

I wouldn't doubt it - in fact i'd say the US not only would allow it, but attack N. Korea as well.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
200 million is a estimated draft number incase of a war. Im sure if china was attacked they could muster more people than 2 million considering they have over a billion people in there country

-no offense taken

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
ahhh - I see. Sounds about right to me. I just wonder how you equip, train, supply and transport 200 million troops.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
yea your right I dont think it would ever be possible for them to properly arm and train that many. Perhaps every ten guys would get one gun and wait for the first one to die then take his weapon like in the movie Enemy at the gate or something.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
China is the sleeping giant, always has and always will be.

USA has the better technology but will crumble if it has to fight a real army.

N.K just has a crazy leader.

I'd put India up there with China.

Russia would be #1 if they could find all their nukes.

Israel???? LOL. Israel is the baby America. Israel isn't doing anything without America's support.

South America is all shot to #, no major power there.

U.K has a good Navy.

And the way Spain is right now, I wouldn't be suprised if they are a top 5 power in 4-5 years.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
China is the sleeping giant, always has and always will be.

USA has the better technology but will crumble if it has to fight a real army.

N.K just has a crazy leader.

I'd put India up there with China.

Russia would be #1 if they could find all their nukes.

Israel???? LOL. Israel is the baby America. Israel isn't doing anything without America's support.

South America is all shot to #, no major power there.

U.K has a good Navy.

And the way Spain is right now, I wouldn't be suprised if they are a top 5 power in 4-5 years.

Again - lets keep Russia and US out of this - when ever they come up it goes down hill. BTW you are wrong about Russia - they cannot project their power, and thus are not on par with the US.

Israel, in case you didn't know, has a great military. They have well over a million inlisted, have nukes, and - like you pointed out, have US weapons. Hence why they could be top 5/8.

N.K. has nukes and like 2 million in the army, plus about 50000 artillery units (though they are all aimed south).

I didn't know about spain - could you explain?

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
yea your right I dont think it would ever be possible for them to properly arm and train that many. Perhaps every ten guys would get one gun and wait for the first one to die then take his weapon like in the movie Enemy at the gate or something.

Yeah - I was about to say pull it off a la Russie in WWII

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
i have to point out that britain has a small actual force but we have hundreds of reserves
also u know that the country with the most ships in it / produced is japan
also the uk has the most elite fighting forces in the world aka trained past the standard level
also where else in the world do u find people from napal fighting huh?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join