It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Related links/data for active yellowstone thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have come across a great source for Technical White Papers and want to share it with those that may not be familiar with it or those that may want to continue their education in this area.

The SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System

Quoting the site "The SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) is a Digital Library portal for researchers in Astronomy and Physics, operated by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) under a NASA grant. The ADS maintains three bibliographic databases containing more than 7.4 million records: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Physics, and arXiv e-prints. The main body of data in the ADS consists of bibliographic records, which are searchable through highly customizable query forms, and full-text scans of much of the astronomical literature which can be browsed or searched via our full-text search interface. Integrated in its databases, the ADS provides access and pointers to a wealth of external resources, including electronic articles, data catalogs and archives. We currently have links to over 8.1 million records maintained by our collaborators."

In order to get more than just abstracts of articles you will need to create an account which is relatively easy to do. Click on the "Sign On: link in the upper right corner of the page, on the next page, click on the "Account Setup" link in the ifrst sentence, it will ask for an email address which you will use as your account name.

Once you have everything set up, type "Yellowstone" into the Search area and this will bring up a list of 200 abstracts and show a total of 874 documents available, some of the more recent papers are located down around document 98 with interesting titles like...

98 2008AGUFMGP43B0817S
58.058 12/2008 A
Spritzer, J. M.; Sheriff, S. D.; Hinman, N. W.
Interpreting Faults and Fractures in Hydrothermal Basins With High-Resolution Aeromagnetic Data in Yellowstone National Park
99 2008AGUFMGP11A0686H
58.058 12/2008 A
Harlan, S. S.; Morgan, L. A.
Paleomagnetism and Rock Magnetic Properties from Quaternary Lavas and Tuffs of the Yellowstone Plateau Volcanic Field
100 2008AGUFM.V51D2067T
58.058 12/2008 A
Taira, T.; Smith, R. B.; Chang, W.
Seismic Evidence for Dilatational Source Deformation of the Yellowstone Accelerated Uplift Episode
101 2008AGUFM.V51D2066S
58.058 12/2008 A
Smith, R. B.; Farrell, J.; Gettings, P.; Puskas, C. M.
Temporal gravity and mass changes accompanying the 2004-2008 unprecedented uplift of the Yellowstone caldera

Happy Reading!

Maeve

Edited to insert link.

[edit on 1/3/09 by maeveoc]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This probably does not need to be said especially with the links to the add-ons for Firefox but I really want to give a shout out to Mozilla Team for being the first to come up with tabbed browsing via the Mainstream Firefox Browser (let's not get technical about the original Mozilla Browser hehe) they have definately made my life much easier these past few days.

Keep up the great work Mozilla Team!

Firefox 3

Namaste,

Maeve

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
Awesome, thank you. Could someone also provide a little synopsis of the last week? How it was figured out, what's happening, what could happen? I know it's all in those links but it would save a lot of people a lot of time.

it started here on ats for me with this
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by huntergatherer
This afternoon and evening there has been 14 quakes at the park. While this may somewhat normal, I dont understand as to why all of these quakes are centered in Yellowstone Lake. Alot of red squares from USGS. Any seismic activity there raises red flags, but this seems to weird.

it was being watched and discussed here on ats before i saw any msm news outlets covering it.

here are the earthquakes that have happened in yellowstone in the last week
www.seis.utah.edu...

id give u a synopsis but there are many others who could do an better job then me. ive just been watchign all these guys do the work. good job everyone who is giving so much time up for this 'event'.

peace

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
To those wondering about the forum post about the "son of a geologist" that was deleted and thus returned a 404 error. I happened to get a quick glance at the source of the story and it was from a forum post that was over 4 years old.

It was bogus, that is why it was deleted.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
BTS Thread for Yellowstone Free Style Chit Chat:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
news.aol.com...

Provides some information regarding the whole issue.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Instead of having a thread that is hard to reference ("look at page 4"), I've setup a Wiki for this exact information.

It is user editable, so anyone can go in and add information as they see fit.

wiki.info2intel.org...

-K

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
great compilation. thanks all!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Not sure iof these are of any interest ...

Seismic Evidence for Dilatational Source Deformation of the Yellowstone Accelerated Uplift Episode
This report was before the swarm

The dilatational deformations that we detected are very important for hazard mitigation efforts in volcanic fields because such deformations may eventually cause hydrothermal explosions that are considered to be a serious volcanic hazard.

Hint: "select all" to see hidden letters, whatever they are ...?
2008 Fall Meeting

Seismic stations by name or codename? The bottom list has some interesting names
Data at IRIS DMC

Quakes in other locations have an effect on Yellowstone

Study by Robert Smith - QUAKE IN ALASKA CHANGED YELLOWSTONE GEYSERS From 2,000 Miles away.
A powerful earthquake that rocked Alaska in 2002 not only triggered small earthquakes almost 2,000 miles away at Wyoming's Yellowstone National Park - as was reported at the time - but also changed the timing and behavior of some of Yellowstone's geysers and hot springs, a new study says.

While other large quakes have been known to alter the activity of nearby geysers and hot springs, the Denali fault earthquake of Nov. 3, 2002, is the first known to have changed the behavior of such hydrothermal features at great distances, according to Smith and his colleagues. They say the magnitude-7.9 quake was one of the strongest of its type in North America in the past 150 years.

Scientists once believed that an earthquake at one location could not trigger earthquakes at distant sites. That belief was shattered in 1992 when the magnitude-7.3 Landers earthquake in California's Mojave Desert triggered a swarm of quakes more than 800 miles away at Yellowstone, as well as other temblors near Mammoth Lakes, Calif., and Yucca Mountain, Nev.

link

[edit on 4-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
How to convert Amplitude to Magnitude

www.seismo.unr.edu...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
For those considering purchasing protection from volcanic ash and gasses and would like a few links to some good products, these are my choices.
Just my opinion, share yours too if you'd like. Don't forget some goggles too!

Good Mask - North 5500 - $12.49

Better Mask - North 7700 - $24.49

Organic Vapor, Acid Gas and HEPA100 Filter

There are even better masks than the following ones, but these are good for those who want "Just a bit more"

Military M-40 Mask

Korean K1 Mask

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Here is a def. interesting link to an article posted by MischeviousElf on the "what's going on at yellowstone thread:

For all those interested in a very well respected and silenced by the USGS Geologist Jim Berkland discussing the recent swarm on the 6th Jan 09:

Here is the Coast to Coast 1 hour interview about the swarm at Yellowstone,

It is an MP3 Download format, and not uploaded by myself but by a C2C archivist, full commercials please do listen to them.

Jim Berkland C2C Earthquake Swarm Jan 6th 09

Kind Regards

Elf.

Thanks Elf!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Integrated Geoscience Studies in the Greater Yellowstone Area—Volcanic, Tectonic, and Hydrothermal Processes in the Yellowstone Geoecosystem

Version 1.0

Posted December 2007

Bathymetry and Geology of the Floor of Yellowstone Lake, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana
By L.A. Morgan, W.C. Shanks, G.K. Lee, and M.W. Webring

Another YS Lk Article...nice LARGE maps of lake bottom/depths...REALLY NICE!

pubs.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Installing GEE (Global Earthquake Explorer) in Ubuntu 8.04 (gnome 2.22.3 desktop)

Be sure you have sun-java6-jre package installed using the synaptics package manager (approx 30M)

Click on “Places”
Click on “Home”
Create a new folder called “gee”

Download tar.gz from www.seis.sc.edu...
Extract and put folders “bin” and “lib” in your newly created “gee” directory

Make a new text file called GEEstart in your home directory (the same directory you have your new gee folder in) and edit it as follows:

#!/bin/bash
cd gee/bin
export GEE_HOME=/home/lernmore/gee
./gee

(be sure and replace lernmore for your own name/account)

open a terminal, (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) type the following

chmod +X GEEstart

(that makes it executable)

Click on the new GEEstart file in your home directory and select Run

note: There may be an easier way to get it to run, but I couldn't get it to take editing profile or .profile. , and it was a no-go "out of the box".

You get the idea...

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
For Google Earth Users try this page and set the to:/from: dates and use the google earth in 3-d link above it I used 12-15-08/1-13-09..
Really detailed map

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Here's a interesting post on Interpretation of Drum Recorders for those of US who have questions on how to read them and what we're seein'...
quake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 1/14/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Yet Another REALLY INDEPTH article about the YS plume...
faculty.gg.uwyo.edu...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
The "Classic" BBC Movie Super Volcano

www.youtube.com...
A Short Yellowstone Clip from First Science.tv

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
U.S. Geological Survey

GROUND WATER ATLAS of the UNITED STATES
Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming
HA 730-I
by R.L. Whitehead

Contents of HA 730-I, published in 1996

pubs.usgs.gov...

PS: I believe sometime in mid February 2009 NASA has ordered a "URGENT" Thermal imaging low orbit flyby to look for increases in thermal emissions..

[edit on 2/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join