It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For people who can control their dreams

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This might seem off topic but it's not, really
I'm looking for the librarian, from 1987 who told me about the Dream People/Police. U2U me if you see this.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
seems like i've always had visions and been able to control my dreams. i thought everyone could for years and years. pretty much i just start to dream and make it go the way i want if i want; i always know it's a dream though and my imagination seems boundless. when i was younger i used to fly; i'm sure of it and probably still could if i tried. i don't know if it was astral projecting or not but i could fly where i wanted to go, usualy leaving from a window. it was so real i was sure i could do it whilst awake but alas
my son finds missing things or comes up with solutions to difficult problems (they even ask at work sometimes) while sleeping.
my mom and sis have phrophetic dreams including kennedy's death
plus the rest of the famliy is the same and it sure does come in handy

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Hello Guys, I just wanted to add my experience to this thread.

Since I was a child, ( about 12 yrs old ), i,ve been having a recurring dream. Its seems to be about civil unrest. No vehicles are driving round the streets and there are rocks and stones strewn around the roads and in my dream I find a couple of people hidden behing some bushes. They are cowering and frightened (I am terrified by the way too, (in the dream)).

I manage to get them to a safe place somehow and the dream is always in the same place, on the same streets in the town I grew up in, in North west England. Its a lot more in depth than I have explained but not to bore you I just gave an outline.

Also when I go to bed I take ages to get to sleep I think,and have to put myself into a dream to get there, sleep that is. I seem to be able to make my own movie, film, and seem to wake up in the morning still in the dream I started to get to sleep in the first place.

I,m 39 now and still find getting to sleep very hard like I cant turn my mind off.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Kind regards Albert

I would like to add that over the years I have had dreams that came true. I have told family members in the morning about the dream and that it will happen today and it always has. Only it has only been on a very few occasions in 25+ years but it still has my whole family wondering!

[edit on 4-1-2009 by albertfothergill]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Deadline would you give me/us some advice on how you have gotten to that point with your dreams and astral projections? Does the lightning from your hands do much damage to what it hits? I have managed to catch stuff on fire once.

I'm just wondering if you had some sort of progression to the abilities you hold now and if so what it was like.

Also I cannot do telekinesis when somebody is grabbing me or touching me at all really, I have to have a little distance and feel basically safe to do this. How did you deal with this? My dreams really seem to have limits. I have hit invisible walls while flying and had to turn around. Stuff like this. Would love some advice from someone like you.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I lucid dream almost daily. I wake up often at night and figure that is why I enter the lucid dreaming state often. Believe it or not I think snoozing my alarm multiple times in the morning helps me achieve this as well. A bad habit.

Anyhow over the last few years it has become more frequent.

Jimmy

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I've been able to have lucid dreams quite frequently over the past couple of years, but I seem to be on a roll lately and have had one nearly every night for about a week now.
Anyways, a few things I've found-
Usually the dream progresses as such that I realize I am dreaming, and at that point make the choice to either alter the direction a dream is taking, or ride along and see what happens. I wouldn't exactly describe it as being able to "create reality" when I choose to alter it...I'd compare it more to a door that you choose to either open or leave closed. One fun time I had was when dreaming that I was in Daytona Beach, driving in a car past the speedway. I literally went "wait a minute" and turned the car around and drove right out onto the track. I'm sure it wasn't the EXACT track layout, but was close enough for my mind. Not sure what would have happened had I let the dream go on its own. I'd guess you could compare it to one of those movie DVD's with the alternate endings.
If a dream is going a direction I don't like, many times (not all) I find that I can realize this and change it. In years past I was terrified of tornadoes, I overcame that fear long ago. But it is funny how I will still have dreams with tornadoes in them...but now instead of being a nightmare, I pretty much kick the things butt. Or avoid it, make a game out if it. Kinda hard to explain.
One thing I seem to be seeing a lot of lately is flying dreams...which are a blast. In one I had a few weeks ago I was some kind of superhero and flying around...almost like starring in my own movie.

One thing I have found that helps is taking natural melatonin supplement. This is a natural sleep aid- helps you stay asleep once you get there. It is said that taking it also increases your vivid dreaming...I would agree. You can find it at your local drug store or supermarket.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hopefully this helps out the OP somewhat.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by md11forever]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I have had occasional lucid dreams. Sometimes it is fun just to see what I can do, like flying. Since I don't "practice" at it and hone it, it is really only a semi-lucid state.

For me it feels somewhat UN-real. That is the first clue that it IS a dream.

Mostly what happens is that when I am having a nightmare I become aware that I'm dreaming and I take control of the outcome. I almost never have nightmares any more, but if I do it usually ends with me winning whatever battle there was. Usually at some point, when things in the dream start to get bad, I just go, "Oh, wow, I'm dreaming!" - And then I just fly away.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by OuttaHere]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
Deadline would you give me/us some advice on how you have gotten to that point with your dreams and astral projections? Does the lightning from your hands do much damage to what it hits? I have managed to catch stuff on fire once.

I'm just wondering if you had some sort of progression to the abilities you hold now and if so what it was like.

Also I cannot do telekinesis when somebody is grabbing me or touching me at all really, I have to have a little distance and feel basically safe to do this. How did you deal with this? My dreams really seem to have limits. I have hit invisible walls while flying and had to turn around. Stuff like this. Would love some advice from someone like you.

Many of the things I do in my dreams have the same effects you would expect them to have in the physical world. When I throw lightning or fire from my hands, often at cars, they explode. I also can lift, move, throw, or any other movement just by using my mind, which is one of my "reality checks" to make sure I am dreaming.

Over the years I have made progress, and at first I was only able to barely keep my composure and would get too excited thus ending the experience. Now, they often lasts on average of twenty or so minutes, and I can get a lot accomplished depending on what I try to do. Asking questions of the entities in the dream world and receiving answers is quite interesting, because often times I get answers back that I would have never thought of myself. I'm not sure what this proves, but it does raise a few questions in my mind.

Astral projection on the other hand I am still able to fly, walk through walls, and talk to entities - but its nowhere near as cartoon like and very real. I have actually thought certain projections were really parts of my days due to the fact that they are often extremely life like. Often when projecting I call for my brother who passed away last April, and sometimes he comes, other times he doesn't. When he does, we converse and talk about life, death, and all that is in between. I am not sure if it is all in my head, or not, but either way it is a profound experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I love my dreams. When I have a bad day, I go to sleep and enjoy the world where nothing goes wrong. Where you have no worries, no cares, and no limits. The feeling I would probably think would feel a lot like the liberating feeling that zero gravity would produce, to no longer be bound by things we are constantly held down by.

Both astral projection and lucid dreaming are something anyone can learn. I have met many skeptics but they tend to find my experiences a bit more believable then most. I'm not sure why, but I hope that one day I can guide someone who is completely unmoved by the thoughts of such a place - and to one day, have them experience it first hand. That is my goal here on ATS. Nothing comes close to how liberating the feeling of the dream world is, and the only part I would change is the fact that it ends.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I'm very new to lucid dreaming, but I have read a lot about it recently and it actually triggered me to ask myself "am I dreaming now?" while dreaming.

The other night I had a dream that was so weird it triggered awareness, I was at my parents house, in a glassed in outdoor patio rooom, and all of a sudden a horse was trying to buff its way in through the sliding door. I went wtf? I looked around and I see three cows with huge alien like eyes standing next to the wall, and I thought how the hell did they get in here? And then came the realization, wait a minute this must be a dream... Well if it is a dream I now know I should be able to do anything, for example fly up and touch the top of that light post out there, and all of a sudden I started floating up towards the light post.
Half way up there I lost control and started falling though, which triggered me to wake up.

Only a minute or so, But man what a cool experience. Understanding that you must be dreaming and taking an action on it. Can't wait to try to experience more stuff like that.

I started voice recording my dreams for recollection too, but sometimes I am too lazy at 3 am...

I'd really like to try to trigger an OOBE, who cares if it is real or a form of lucid dreaming, it's cool either way.

Anyway take a listen to this dude on youtube www.youtube.com... he talks about a lot of good common pointers. Think I got the original link from some other thread here.

[edit on Jan 5 09 by mimer]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by daxman
There are alot of threads on dreaming these days. What i want to know is are things like lucid dreaming and OOBE actually real?

There real yes. I've had lucid dreams all my life and started having OBE's about 3 years ago.

If so do you have the ability to control what happens in your dreams and actually create a "reality" ??

Most of the time when I become lucid, I'll start shifting things around and showing off and fly. For example I'll point up into the sky and say what I want to happen so I'll shout 'big ufo slowly comes across sky making vibration noise' and then with that I'll turn around and a big ufo will slowly come into view and fly above me' its amazing to witness and the thing that really baffles me is the level of detail and noises etc...

Are some dreams better than your real life meaning its gutting when you wake up and have to live actual reality??

Some lucid dreams can be really dark and eiry and have an unpleasant feel about them but most are amazing and so when you wake up after you've been flying about above city's etc.. you wake up and wish you could just go back to where you were. I've had a few lucid dreams where I've done this though where I'll wake up and even go to the toilet and then slip back into the same place and carry on.

Has anyone ever got trapped in a dream for what seems like days/weeks unable to wake up seeming losing all control??

Not sure. I've struggled to get out of a dream before and instead of waking up in my bed as expected, I found myself waking up in a hospital as someone else with a lady sat at my side. I squinted my eyes again and woke up normally. Really wierd that one.

I have experienced sleep paralysis but all i see is black, no noise, i just try to scream or kick myself out of it. I dont find it particulary enjoyable like some members do.

Sleep paralysis is where you want to be because you can go either way. If you relax and go with it, you'll enter a dream or alternatively you can slowly mentally sit up and project outwards leading to an OBE.

Im going to start practicing dream recall as this dream stuff interests me.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by daxman]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have around 1 or 2 lucid dreams a week - the key thing is being able to realise you are dreaming and do something to trigger/instigate the state from observer to leader.

For me, it's knowing a few things that are impossible, the main one being, I can't actually fly. In a dream, the moment I get a chance to think 'is this a dream?', I try and fly. If I fly (now, more often than not, it comes with practice), I know it is in fact a lucid dream. The dream world is then my own.

It's not all good though, as even with full lucid dreaming abilities, I find real world concerns filtering in. It's not unusual to end up with me trying to protect friends or family from 'bad things' - the difference being I have a full set of 'dream abilities' to deal with them

Rather than being a passive dream where I just have to watch things unfold, with the lucid, I can actually intervene and change the 'story' so to speak.

That said, on the times when it is all good, sometimes the experience can be incredible, and I swear I end up in touch with other people dreaming. OoBE is not far, but that is a story for another time when it is not quite so late.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I dream in my sleep. And I can see dreams going bad. But I wake up and realise that dreams are ther to be understood, not for ether control. We can all control our dreams.........

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'v had a few dreams lately where I'm completely aware that im dreaming but I just cant seem to fly or control anything. I even said to someone in my dream 'why cant I do anything?' and he just looked at me baffled.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I do have night terrors often, I also have very lucid dreams where I can
influence the direction of the dream. But what is a dream?!

Since I learned years back that what our eyes see is simply light waves
coming from objects and interpreted by our brain as color, distance etc.
When we touch those objects, again our brain is sent signals that tell us
what it feels like. My understanding is that what we see, touch, smell, feel
and hear are a collection of signals put together. What we see happens in
the back of the brain or the minds eye. What you are seeing/reading now
is seen in the minds eye nanoseconds from when your eyes first actually
saw it.

Does this make sense?! This what a teacher once explained to me years ago. I will bring this now into my idea of what dreams are.

Well dreams seem to have sight, sound, colors, smells etc. Where are these
signals coming from to tell our brain that we are seeing this?! Stored
memory on our natural hard-drive?! Maybe.

My explanation is that when we are sleeping our brain is receiving signals/
waves from everything around us and our brain puts these jumbled
and incomplete waves together along with our bodies natural memory
to create these images, sounds and feelings.

Since understanding this or at least telling myself this is how it works, I
have had better dreams, more lucid, most positive since part of me knows
that I am dreaming and I can force the direction of these waves into good dreams

Sometimes the sensation of a bad dream can be quite exciting. And I do
enjoy a scary dream now and then. I often keep telling myself as walk
through my bedtime meditation that I want scary dreams, i think of
zombies or the mafia after me. Usually these things come to fruition.

So with that being said, I think I can influence my dreams direction but
immediate decision making in my dream is something have not mastered.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
As long as I can remember I've always and continue to be able to control my dreams I don't have any special way of triggering it it just happens its almost like stepping through a doorway. when I go to sleep its like I'm waking up in my dreams just like you would normally in the morning almost like an alternate reality or dimension I can do anything I please in my dreams but there seem to be certain rules like I can fly if i want but there is still gravity and other people in my dreams seem to have free will still I cant control others in my dreams they do as they please just like in real life they seem to be able to think for themselves. there have been a few dreams that I had that seem way too real like they were reality but then I wake up in my bed all confused and sometimes scared but it doesn't take long to realize whats going on. I remember one dream in particular i was visiting family nothing out of the ordinary just visiting(the only thing that I did notice was the house my family was in in my dream wasn't the house we were living at at the time it was a completely different house) I remember spending the whole day hanging out playing games even making a sandwich and eating it(it actually felt like I was eating the sandwich) eventually it seemed to get dark I said I was going to bed as but soon as I closed my eyes I heard my alarm clock go off and when I opened my eyes I was in the real house we were living in and for like 5 minutes I couldn't figure out why i was in s different house than in my dream
but I realized it was all just a dream that just felt too real for the rest of the day I kinda felt lost even though I knew it was a dream from time to time I get real vivid dreams that throw me off I've always been curios about why they are so vivid but anybody I've tried to talk with about doesn't seem to care or they just tell me its just a dream and don't bother looking to much into it. I think its more than just dreams I kinda think dreams are types of doorways that give us insight into what could be and our true potential we as human beings tend to limit ourselves for some reason.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Lucid dreams are most definitely real (at least as real as anything else is!) As far as OOBE's are concerned, despite never having experienced a significant one, they are real too.

In a lucid dream you are only limited by your imagination, and probably more importantly, your strength of belief in your boundless ability.

Some lucid dreams, and regular dreams for that matter, can far exceed the emotions you experience in waking life, and many fall well short, ending almost immediately.

Personally, I don't get trapped in lucid dreams anymore because it's rare that I ever get to the point where I want the dream to end, however when I was kid I used to have some difficulty to awaken on demand at times, and tried resorting to inflicting pain on myself, which usually did the trick.

I read a post here on ATS a while back where a guy had a lucid dream that lasted 3 years! When he awoke only 10 hours had passed in waking life, but as you can imagine, he had great difficulty remembering events in the recent past.

I have been lucid dreaming all my life, and always thought it was a normal thing that everyone did until a few years ago when I noticed people asking questions like the ones you ask in the opening post. I have developed this skill considerably in the last 3 or 4 years and to this day I actively endeavour to further explore the astral plane through the gateway provided by lucid dreaming.

Prior to this period of development, I often hypothesised how amazing it would be if I could lucid dream at will and control every aspect of the dream. At that time almost every dream I could remember was a lucid dream, however my dream recall was so poor that I would go months at a time without recalling anything. All of a sudden I noticed that I was recalling at least one dream per night for a period of six weeks or so, at which point I decided to start recording my dreams. This opened my eyes to the possibility of turning my hypothesis into a reality. Since that time, over the last 3 years or more there would be no more than 5 nights where I have been unable to recall a single dream, and the number of lucid dreams in that period would be in the hundreds.

After a year or so of recording my dreams in detail, I felt my dream recall was sufficient that I could abandon the practice of recalling every detail. It got to the point that I was getting up several times per night to record the details and became a real burden. Now I average between 10-20 dreams each night. As far as lucid dreams go, they vary, sometimes I might have them every night for a week and other times a might go two weeks without any, but a couple each week is probably the average. I attribute my success in no small part, to the year or so I spent recording my dreams immediately as I woke up.

In order to have lucid dreams there are many things that seem to aid their frequency. Being a natural lucid dreamer is obviously a distinct advantage, but by no means is this a pre-requisite in my opinion.

Being too tired seems to have an adverse affect on the chance of having a lucid dream. I find that I usually have a deep sleep for about 5 hours initially and then wake before going back to sleep. This seems to be when the vast majority of lucid dreams occurs. (After I'm well rested)

I also seem to find that once I have one lucid dream, it is much easier to have multiple ones right afterward on the same night. I think there may be a link between remembering your surroundings just prior to waking from a lucid dream and stepping back into the same dream when you return to sleep.

Try to notice trigger points in your ordinary dreams regardless of whether you become lucid or not. I often wake up the next morning and kick myself for not realising I was dreaming when a common dream event occurs that I should have recognised. Often I remember questioning it in the dream, but due to the nature of dreaming, I am so convinced that I'm awake I dismiss it. This moments are the key to becoming lucid.

Make sure you have a reliable and manageable reality check procedure which becomes habitual in your waking life. I'm not a fan of incorporating an attempt to fly in this routine as the main pre-requisite of being able to fly is believing you will fly, so if you think you're awake this is unlikely to help you achieve lucidity. I suggest a continuity check. Try and see if you can piece to together your recent past couple of hours that have led you to your current position. For example, "I woke up this morning, had breakfast, a shower, get dressed, drove to work and here I am at my desk." It is rare that a dream will be able to satisfy this check. I also try and ask simple questions such as "It's 9am in the morning, should it be dark outside?." Just try not to complicate things too much, otherwise you'll be hesitant to go through the routine all the time in your waking life. keep it simple and reliable, and go through the routine at regular intervals throughout the day. Once you develop a sufficient number of triggering events, they will happen frequently enough during your waking life, that you need only do the reality check when these events occur, or when something out of the ordinary happens.

Don't be discouraged and learn to embrace whatever dream situations you find yourself in. Lucidity and OOBE's aren't the only worthwhile experiences out there. Many times, even when I achieve lucidity, I am unable to control the dream to any great extent. You just have to roll with it and take advantage of the opportunities that do present themselves, without pondering those that don't.

I apologise for the long and tedious post, but hopefully there is some information there that may assist you.

Good luck!

[edit on 17-1-2009 by speaker]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I've come to the conclusion that dreaming/OOBE/astral traveling are very similar. A dream is astral travel. You shift onto one of the other planes of existence EVERY NIGHT OF YOUR LIFE. Once you realize that, then it becomes a simple matter of practice. that's where I'm at now: writing my dreams down, meditating daily, and practicing. I'll let you all know how I do.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've had a dream once about 1 or 2 months ago, where it felt like i was in this dream for 3 or 4 days. it was crazy. I was in another world, and people called me "Heather". It was scary because each time i tried to tell someone that my name was megan, they laughed at me. Hm.. I should make a thread about that.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

There are alot of threads on dreaming these days. What i want to know is are things like lucid dreaming and OOBE actually real?

Only have one OOBE and it was pyschadelic induced, so I couldn't confirm that, but I will tell you a OOBE is awesome... although mine was more of a third person perspective watching myself walk around while I was actually concious @_@

If so do you have the ability to control what happens in your dreams and actually create a "reality" ??

Yes, I have the ability to control what happens in 70% of my dreams.... It's rather uncomfortable, but it's been an ability I've had since maybe 4 or 5. It is a reality, but you know that you are in a dream world, so it's rather..... interesting shall I say? I mean you can really take it as far as you want.... I've done some very wild things in my dreams.

Are some dreams better than your real life meaning its gutting when you wake up and have to live actual reality??

Never had one of these.

Has anyone ever got trapped in a dream for what seems like days/weeks unable to wake up seeming losing all control??

Oh yes, I had a dream that I was trapped inside of a coma, and I kept waking up in different spots, finally I was on a train going somewhere, and I jumped out of the train and about the same time I hit the ground I was rolling over when I woke up, like I was actually trying to jump out of the train....

I have experienced sleep paralysis but all i see is black, no noise, i just try to scream or kick myself out of it. I dont find it particulary enjoyable like some members do.

Haven't had sleep paralysis for about 5-6 years... very interesting situation, feels like you're falling off your bed when you wake up.
Im going to start practicing dream recall as this dream stuff interests me.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I've had quite a few experiences like this, the most recent was similar but slightly different, I had a dream I was flying at a relatively fast pace, between 50cm-1m above the ground. When I awoke, it took I would say close to half an hour for me to understand that I couldn't fly..In the dream I had also actually felt air rushing around me and had really great vision within the dream.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join