It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caroline Kennedy Is Paterson's Choice: Officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Caroline Kennedy Is Paterson's Choice: Officials

www.huffingtonpost.com

Officials say the daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy will be the governor's choice to fill the New York Senate seat being vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Two people close to Gov. David Paterson tell The Associated Press they believe Caroline Kennedy will be his choice, but the governor cautions he's still looking.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-1-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It seems semi-official: Caroline Kennedy will be New York's next senator. She has lived in New York most of her adult life, so she's not just a transplant from Massachusetts using NY as a political opportunity.

In an earlier thread of mine, people debated her qualifications for the seat. Some people were for and some against based solely on the fact that she's a Kennedy.

Although she hasn't been a highly visible or much of a public person, she has had a lifetime of public service. That should be almost as important as holding an elected office.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Not qualified? Not Much of a Public Person? Unknown until recently? Reminds me of Obama, I personally think she will be a great Senator. Especially with what you stated a lifetime of public service and I agree 100% thats what all public officals should be required to perform, Public Services.

Awesome Star and Flag for you my friend.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Sweet Caroline dah dah da could believe ...

Yeah go Caroline! I think she will be great!! She's a sleeper for the people a ringer for the working folks. Go Caroline!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Yeah!! Let's appoint another rich person to office!!!! They know how it is to struggle paycheck to paycheck.

If anyone should get that seat it should be someone who doesn't have much at all...not someone who has had everything handed to her since she was born.

Get over the Kennedy's. A last name doesn't make you anymore righteous than the next BSer.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

They murdered her Dad and Uncle. Think about that for a moment...

I think Caroline knows how things work just like her Daddy and she is picking this time to come out in defense of his ideals.

Sure rich folks make politicians one way or another. But our Caroline is already rich...so I think she wants a better world for her kids. I think she has within her the essence of her Dad and an entire era that was derailed by violence and contempt.

It is only a couple of years and New Yorkers will put it to a vote. No one is more right for NY at this time than Caroline. So go girl!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Yeah, I agree 100%. Caroline will make a great Senator. I will look forward to following her progress.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Being poor isn't a guarantee that a person will be a good or even an honest public servant. It certainly might put them more in touch with the average wage-earner--Barack Obama has come from humble beginnings and I think that's an asset.

But being rich is not necessarily a sign of an evil-doer either. There are many rich people who are effective advocates for those less privileged, and many rich people who backed Obama in the last election. Most of the Kennedys have devoted their lives to the service of their country, and Caroline comes from that tradition.

Prejudice based solely on class is prejudice all the same.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
My dad used to say that the Kennedys had so much money that they wouldn't be involved in less than honest situations and he thought they would do good for the average citizen.

In my opinion, the same would be true for Caroline Kennedy.

And maybe it doesn't hurt that she'd be an amateur politician for a while.

God knows, the political pros seem to screw up everything they touch....

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There is something about Caroline Kennedy that I like (cue the Camelot theme now)...but methinks, "um", that the Cuomo kid (NY AG) is a little more qualified. But the definition of politics is "the pursuit and exercise of power" so qualifications is secondary (eg, the current Illinois Governor)....

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMythLives
Not qualified? Not Much of a Public Person? Unknown until recently?

My thoughts exactly. Although I think she is qualified, I think it's great we are getting some people in government who have done public service and haven't been politicians all their lives.

I understand people saying she shouldn't get the job just because of her name, but her name shouldn't be held against her, either. She's an intelligent, educated, caring person who wants to serve the people of New York.

Desert Dawg, that's a great point. Why would she be corrupt? She's got more power and money than anyone needs already.

Congratulations, Caroline!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
So many other people from that state were better qualified ...
oh well, the Kennedy name wins out. No surprise.

At least she isn't a carpetbagger like Hillary.

(I can already see the Caroline 2016 for POTUS buttons.
)

top topics

join