It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth and its neighbours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
That give an idea of our tiny tiny place in this universe.

Earth and its neighbours:

The rest of the planets (N.B.: Pluto is no longer a planet):

Our Sun and the planets:

Our Sun compare with other stars (the small ones):

Our Sun (small dot of 1 pixel at the tip of the arrow to the left) compare with other stars (the big ones):

And obviously, there are billions of billions of galaxies each having billions and billions of stars in the Universe:

And somewhere in all of this.... You.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Im not so sure that first pictture is accurate im sure Mars was bigger than that and pluto was smaller

oh well could be wrong but still its pretty amazing and makes you wonder why we are so small because compared to other planets or balles of gas we are tiny

[edit on 2-1-2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

According to Wikipedia:

Earth mean radius: 6,371.0 km
Mars equatorial radius: 3 396.2 km or 0.533 Earths
Pluto mean radius: 1,195 km or 0.19 Earths

So I think, the photo is about right.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Oh well learn something new everyday

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I sometimes think about how we could be "microscopic" in size in relation to other "things" our universe. Sometimes I have weird thoughts about how we kill living things that are microscopic, i.e., bacteria, dust mites, etc. etc. Could it be possible that there are other life forms out there that we seem just as tiny and insignificant to? Well we do have souls and I don't think that dust mites do. Do they?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It ain't what you've got it's the way that you do it!

Even a single atom can do amazing things eh?

reply to post by Anti - Government

Don't worry, I started my "Tinwiki" article this evening, so soon, we'll all have somewhere for these kind of planetary references.

cheers...nerb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

planetary diameters:

sun.. 1,392,000 km
mercury.. 4,879 km
venus.. 12,104 km
earth.. 12,756 km
earth's moon.. 3,475 km
mars.. 6,792 km
jupiter.. 142,984 km
saturn.. 120,536 km
uranus.. 51,118 km
neptune.. 49,528 km
pluto.. 2,390 km

[edit on 2/1/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Amazing! Personally, this video is what finally knocked my noggin loose about how absolutely insignificant we really are.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I was thinking the other day about a childrens book i read in school many years ago.
Basicly a young boy makes a space rocket or something and fly's into space only to realise that the earth is a playing marble as are the other planets, And the universe is the inside of the pocket of a giant.
Upon talking to the giant he learns that the giants planet is just a playing marble inside a universe inside the pocket of another BIGGER giant.... And that giants planet etc....You get my drift.

I was gonna relay this story on it own thread but the OP fantastic thread came along so i thought i would post it here....

Food for thought. But Star and Flag OP!

[edit on 2-1-2009 by dangleb3rry]

new topics

top topics

join