It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much thinking 'can make you fat'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Too much thinking 'can make you fat'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Researchers found the stress of thinking caused overeating with heavy thinkers seeking out more calories.

The research team, supervised by Dr Angelo Tremblay, measured the spontaneous food intake of 14 students after each of three tasks.

The first was relaxing in a sitting position, the second reading and summarizing a text, and finally completing a series of memory, attention, and vigilance tests on the computer.

After 45 minutes at each activity, participants were invited to eat as much as they wanted from a buffet.

The researchers had already discovered that each session of intellectual work requires only three calories more than the rest period.

However, despite the low energy cost of mental work, the students spontaneously consumed 203 more calories after summarizing a text and 253 more calories after the computer tests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Betcha $20 thinking will also "cause": wrinkles, cancer, mental illness, heart problems, suicide, late bill payments, lost dogs, and eating your own relatives.

Puh LEEZE.

How about a news article that states thus: " Thinking and not doing anything else makes your butt fat, so go out and exercise it and eat right?"

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I see, a health warning about thinking. So the authorities do not want the sheeple to think because it's bad for our health. I suppose it's better than a bullet in the back of the head or being found dead in ladies underwear and an orange stuffed in the mouth.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think it might be more linked to the thinking about being stressed.

Stress causes funny things to happen to a body chemical wise. Stress also causes many to over eat or do other things that are unhealthy and that lead to obesity.

Raist

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Awesome... We have been given a new way to call a person fat politely.... Now we can just say "Your a heavy thinker"

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Are they sure that thinking doesn't lead to putting on weight because you tend to move less when thinking?

The other thing they don't say they did was get an average intake of calories for that specific person. Maybe they naturally eat more??? In addition, a higher metabolic rate will mean you need to eat more as you burn more, but you won't put on weight for doing so.

There is no standard person and no standard intake required for a given amount of work, only approximations.

IMHO this test proves nothing.
You could argue that the additional calorific intake is insiginificant given the above variables.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That is ridiculous. Whenever I think and put my mind to it I actually lose weight. I weigh about 143.5 pounds and I just think about losing weight and eating healthy and I do fine. I think this survey was flawed.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Haha.. Now I know this is rubbish! I am a heavy deep thinker. Thats all I do is think! Even while at work, I think and I am always in deep thought.

I weight 130 pounds! And I have been 130 since highschool!

So for the last 15 years of my life I have been the same weight. Reguardless of how much I think!

What is not rubbish.. Are people who dont think.. Sit on the couch and eat chips all day, are the ones getting fat!! LOL

Thinking is a good thing.. Dont let these mind controlers tell you any differently.. They are tugging at emotions!

No one want to be fat.. But if you are fat.. Whats bloody wrong with it?
Nothing.. I think Fat is beautiful!!! So these people can take their status quo bullocks and stick um where the sun dont shine!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Based on their premise I am guessing these researchers must be VERY thin...

Sustained intensive thinking (problem solving) apparently does make you burn more calories, and I don't care if it has been scientifically proven or not. I know it from experience.

And why, pray, none or very few of the "heavy thinkers" in the past were fat? Madame Curie wasn't (oh right - radiation!), Einstein wasn't (oh right- ... well something), etc., etc.

Is it maybe that now even a pound or two over the minimum body fat index qualifies as "overweight", even in research labs?

What a pathetic world...

top topics

join