It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study links mammoth extinctions with comet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This article in USA Today is about a comet that smacked into North America 12,900 years ago. The results of it could also of triggered massive flooding, accounting for flood mythologies. An interesting read:

www.usatoday.com...

This also helps Graham Hancock's case in "Fingerprints of the Gods", which he tells of a catastrophic event over 12,000 years ago that wiped out an ancient civilization. The article mentions comets, so there were possibly more than one.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Howdy Kidflash

Yes this has been discussed here before, you can also read the basics of the theory in the book, The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes by Firestone (who is mentioned in the article also), West and Warwick-Smith.

Hancock got his idea from this or an earlier version of the theory that had a supernova impact N. America at that time. What Hancock did was to add to the theory the destruction of a 'civilization' for which there is no evidence.

It will take around 10-15 years of more research until the effects of this impact/explosion are better known.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

This is the latest study, and it seems something may have happened. I also know that Mr Hancock used the theory about the continents shifting. That one is a stretch for me, but I do think the theory of an older civilization is interesting to merit looking for.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Oh something DID happen, the research shows that. This study looks at one part of the puzzle, the nanodiamonds.

Yes rapidly shifting continents is a bit change but an unknown civilization is a possibility.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Howdy Kidflash

Yes this has been discussed here before, you can also read the basics of the theory in the book, The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes by Firestone (who is mentioned in the article also), West and Warwick-Smith.

Hancock got his idea from this or an earlier version of the theory that had a supernova impact N. America at that time. What Hancock did was to add to the theory the destruction of a 'civilization' for which there is no evidence.

It will take around 10-15 years of more research until the effects of this impact/explosion are better known.

Better known, yes. But it is a known, and it is provable.

It is the crux of the discussion that TWISI and I put forth to you a few months ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Howdy BFFT

Yeah I couldn't remember the name of that thread. If you could it might be useful to link it to this thread.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I started this thread as the article is new, and it does mention more than one comet. I wonder if it is possible they could have impacted in other continents? All cultures do have a cataclysmic type war in their mythologies. A comet hitting the Earth would sure feel like a wrath of the gods.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

It certainly might. I found this interesting article about a future strike but it gives parameters that might apply.

Another interesting piece of trivia, they suspect that up to 600 asteriods have hit the earth since the age of dinosaurs.

An impact

The thread that led me to that article

Space science thread

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Howdy BFFT

Yeah I couldn't remember the name of that thread. If you could it might be useful to link it to this thread.

You couldn;t rmember the name of the thread because the title drove you insane

Anyway, here it is

To sum, it basically puts togther this emerging data that is proving (full-stop) that there was a cometary impact event over the N.A. ice shelf in the discussed timeframe. BFFT and I merged that with an old theory of cometary impact specialst James Marusek that stated that if such an impact was ever found to be true it would be the trigger event for the 'global flood' event that most cultures carry as a story of their preshistory.

There is lots of good stuff on there about all of this, not the least of which are some of BFFTS postulations about possible geo-thermal ramifications, plate tectonics, and the atomsphere.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Howdy BFFT

Most certainly:

Science Proving 'Global Flood Myth' true - Dating for Prehistoric Civilization Legitimized!

and

Cuban 'Atlantis' Cover-Up Solved?

[edit on 2-1-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Science Proving 'Global Flood Myth' true - Dating for Prehistoric Civilization Legitimized!

The impact or shall we say the event wasn't indoubt. What was in doubt was your linking it as you did above to global floods and a unknown civilization.

[edit on 2/1/09 by Hanslune]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Really? Because I pretty clearly remember you coming out with you had read an old Firestone book that had postulated this event and it was debunked. You may want to revisit that thread and read your words.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Oh you proved this event caused global floods and you found this unknown civilization...I must have missed that.

I believe you are referring to another claim that the idea of an impact in North America "was a new idea". Is that what you are thinking of?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I was going to start a thread on this too. Scientific American recently posted a far more objective report on the latest findings. No 'swarms of meteorites' but a decent explanation of the evidence.

I also tend to agree that the flood myth is based on real events. That it was anything mystical, religious or other than natural doesn't ring true for me. It predates the written word and would have been passed down generations through word of mouth and oral story telling traditions. As I interpret it, this period of time was without a meaningful value of the passage of time.

There wasn't a 'year' or even a 'zero' to count from. As such, it seems reasonable that the event could maintain it's reality to each subsequent generation but lose any meaningful way of describing *when* it happened. The signposts and event markers that allow us to put time into perspective would be absent to ancient mankind. In a purely oral tradition, how can one discern between 3 generations ago or 25 generations ago?

In this light, the 'great flood' is naturally a matter of perspective to the small populations that existed at the time. Humans tend to gather in the resource rich areas of river basins and coastlines. If there was an impact event that caused sea levels to rise and displace populations, is it reasonable that they would interpret it as a 'world event?' I think it is. Their world view would be extremely narrow by modern standards. A Burma scale tsunami would be a major world event when interpreted by a small population. The survivors would certainly record the event through verbal tradition whilst the event would lose it's origins. The lack of geological evidence of a 'great flood' is accurate. The world wasn't submerged or flooded. This doesn't mean that humans at the time didn't regard a sea rise as a 'great flood.'

As we became more centralized in population clusters and time and history began to be recorded, the shadow of this past event was written down. It's legacy is the comparable myths that are found across the Northern Hemisphere.

Edit to add PS/ disclaimer. I'm a little rhetorical in parts, I don't mean to be. It's just ideas and speculation.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Well written, that probably describes it as it was. One comment thou, on time. Those humans who lived in areas with season would have kept track of the onset of winter.

Many tribal groups use to keep the age of people by 'summers', 'springs' or 'winters'

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hiya Hanslune,
I'm only speculating and offer no conclusions. It's all just very interesting to me. My understanding about earlier humans is that there are marks on bones and in caves that might represent time. I remember a bone portion found at a Neanderthal site (years ago) that was interpreted as being (possibly) a record of the passage of the moon. The evidence seems indicative rather than conclusive, but still very interesting.

When I try and imagine the mindset of early man, I think of the aborigines of Australia. They had no meaningful reference to the passage of time before it was introduced to them by explorers/invaders. What really gets my interest is a linguist, Danial Everett. He has been visiting a protected tribe in Brazil for years. The tribe has no concept of marked time. They have the language of 'now' and 'before' but don't differentiate how one time can be more 'before' than another.

You can find out more here.

Any counting of time relies on continuity of knowledge. In a thread of yours, I think we touched on how knowledge of reading and writing is kept secret by the priesthood or powerful. If this was always the case, it only requires a small amount of disruption in the passing on of that knowledge to lose it. An obvious example of this is the loss of the Hindus written language. It was kept to a minority and died. Likewise, a civilization as long-lived as the Egyptians required the finding of the Rosetta Stone to be able to translate.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yes like the loss of Rongorongo knowledge at Rapa Nui. Or the Incan string language.

Yes the antler/bone I believe was marked by what some thought might be cycles of the moon. - the Ishango bone which some take as a measure of menstruation.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This guy must have stolen my theory.

I've only told a few people and they are all stupid, so I know he didn't hear it from them.

Perhaps he has been using Remote Viewing or something worse in order to read my innermost thoughts. I wonder if he can access them at any time, or just when I'm thinking a specific thought about mammoth extinction and Global flooding caused by an asteroid strike that also lead to the destruction of an Advanced ancient Human culture from which the Pre-Deluvian Mythologies are derived.

It couldn't just be a coincidence could it?

I bet it is. Ahh Shucks....

new topics

top topics

join