It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remarks of Senator Barack Obama on the Confirmation of Judge John Roberts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Remarks of Senator Barack Obama on the Confirmation of Judge John Roberts

This White House continues to stymie efforts on the part of the Senate to do its job. I hope with the next nominee who comes up for the Supreme Court that the White House recognizes that in fact it is its duty not just to the Senate but to the American people to make sure we can thoroughly and adequately evaluate the record of every single nominee who comes before us.

I see he learned from the White House then...

The bottom line is this: I will be voting against John Roberts' nomination. I do so with considerable reticence. I hope that I am wrong. I hope that this reticence on my part proves unjustified and that Judge Roberts will show himself to not only be an outstanding legal thinker but also someone who upholds the Court's historic role as a check on the majoritarian impulses of the executive branch and the legislative branch. I hope that he will recognize who the weak are and who the strong are in our society. I hope that his jurisprudence is one that stands up to the bullies of all ideological stripes.

I do too Barack, I do too...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
An interesting, if not somewhat ironic, OP. Well presented and worthy of the read.!

I too hope that in the final analysis the balance and values of the Supreme Court serve the lofty purpose of the institution, generally speaking.

This is however, nothing upon which to hang one's hat. That purpose is mandated and self-evident in the execution of the courts authority. And we approach the matter as if a successful appointment to the Supreme Court were a royal decree and once there, they lose citizen status, and become operatives of unassailable power. Part of the problem with biased or disingenuous justices lies there.

I agree that it is necessary to maintain checks and balances, but in the end, the government has used this branch of the organization to overcome the will of the people, far too often, in my opinion.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by Maxmars]

join