It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the tower of babel a stargate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I’ve always found the account of the tower of Babel in Genesis 11 strange for the following reason…

Because we have space ships, we know now that no tower is going to reach heaven, and God obviously knew that already because he’s, well, God.

And yet, God was alarmed enough to scatter the builders all over the earth and confuse their language so that they couldn’t complete the tower. That says to me that God thought they might be successful.

So that’s when I got to thinking that maybe the tower wasn’t an ordinary tower, maybe it was a very fancy spacecraft far beyond our technology and the word ‘tower’ was used because those who translated the Bible didn’t have a word for spacecraft.

Anyway, I decided to have a look at the story again…

Genesis 11:1-9

Gen 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
Gen 11:2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
Gen 11:3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
Gen 11:4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
Gen 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
Gen 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Gen 11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
Gen 11:8 So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
Gen 11:9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

After reading the bit about brick, stone and mortar, I figured it couldn’t be a space craft, so I decided to see if I could find the answer through the original words…
Here are translations of the original words used in the above passage for the bolded words…

Shinar
שׁנער
shin‛âr
shin-awr'
Probably of foreign derivation; Shinar, a plain in Babylon: - Shinar.

Tower
מגדּלה מגדּל
migdâl migdâlâh
mig-dawl', mig-daw-law'
From H1431; a tower (from its size or height); by analogy a rostrum; figuratively a (pyramidal) bed of flowers: - castle, flower, pulpit, tower. Compare the names following.

So from the above translations, we know that the tower was in Babylon and sounds like it could have been a kind of pyramid.

As it happens there is a ziggurat in Babylon which is kind of like a pyramid, Wikipedia says the following:

en.wikipedia.org...

The Mesopotamians believed that these pyramid temples connected heaven and earth. In fact, the ziggurat at Babylon was known as Etemenankia or "House of the Platform between Heaven and Earth".

What is the probability of Etemenankia actually being the tower of babel? What if the ziggurat was supposed to be some kind of portal? That’s when the theory of a stargate started forming.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this. I know there are some people on this forum who are in love with the idea of pyramids and ziggurats beings stargates and have probably done a great deal of research which they might apply.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by the siren

Check out Stargates are real, the tower of Babel is also discussed there and analysed in great detail.
And the conclusion is that it indeed could have been a Stargate.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Maybe it was a Space Elevator.

The space elevator concept is based on a structure stretching from the Earth's surface, up through the atmosphere, all the way to geostationary Earth orbit -- 22,300 miles (36,000 kilometers) high above the equator.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It is widely believed and accepted by scholars today that certain stories and events in the Bible are taken from earlier Sumerian accounts. This one is no acception. There is a direct correlation between the two towers and one that is always worth looking into. We do know that during the reign of many ancient rulers, particularly in the area of Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq, etc) great mounds and temples were erected in dedication to the Gods. In fact, during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, one such ziggurat was built: Etemenaki, or "Platform of Heaven and Earth". This tower is often associated with the Tower of Babel. Mostly because of the fact that it is the only structure that really meets the biblical description, but also because Babel and Babylon and closely linked in language.

To go the theological route, something else that is interesting to note is that the Tower of Babel was destroyed by the wrath of God. The Etemenaki was destroyed by strong weather and earthquakes. One and the same? Worth thinking about.

As for the theory about God's need to destroy the tower, I don't think it hinged so much on his fear of some "stargate", but rather the fact that the people had not bothered to included God's thoughts in this decision of theirs. In fact, they had cut him out entirely. This kind of self-ruling ecumenical pursuit was completely against everything God wanted. The Bible covers this repeatedly. I can see how it might have just ticked him off.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

It's either a spaceship of some kind or it's another flaw in the Bible.
People back then didn't know much about our universe - they thought that stars were white balls that were 'caught' in the heavens, like a spider caught in a web. They also thought that they could reach the 'heavens'.
This is most likely what is being referenced - a fable formed off the mistaken beliefs of ancient civilizations.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthParadox

It's either a spaceship of some kind or it's another flaw in the Bible.
People back then didn't know much about our universe - they thought that stars were white balls that were 'caught' in the heavens, like a spider caught in a web. They also thought that they could reach the 'heavens'.
This is most likely what is being referenced - a fable formed off the mistaken beliefs of ancient civilizations.

Well, I wouldn't put much faith in our understanding of the universe even now, if the only answer for the ruined ziggurat in Babylon is either, "spaceship" or "flaw in the Bible".

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdenKaia
Well, I wouldn't put much faith in our understanding of the universe even now, if the only answer for the ruined ziggurat in Babylon is either, "spaceship" or "flaw in the Bible".

I was simplifying it lol.
I just think it's much more likely that it's a flaw.
Just as the Bible also makes reference to the earth being flat several times.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Eh, that really depends on who you are talking to. Personally, I've read most of the arguments made about this "Bible says the earth is flat" business, and personally, I'm not really seeing it. Here is a link and an external source regarding the main two passages commonly referenced for the argument:

Seely offers two citations in support of a ‘flat earth’ view that we need not spend much time on: Daniel 4:10, 11 and 20, and Job 37:3. The Daniel passage is actually a statement by a pagan king, which doesn’t mean that the Bible endorses that view. And it is a vision, and is therefore not intended to be a picture of reality any more than Pharaoh’s dream of cannibalistic cows and even cannibalistic ears of wheat (Genesis 41). And Job 37:3 hardly requires a flat-earth reading — it merely states that lightning occurs all over the earth. Even if it did teach a flat-earth reading, it would prove only that Elihu believed such a thing — not everything reported in the Bible is endorsed in the Bible.

Link

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EdenKaia

Well not to derail the thread, but I was actually thinking of the verse where it says that the Devil takes Jesus up to an "exceedingly high mountain" in which he can see all the kingdoms of the world. No matter how high a mountain is, you can't see all the kingdoms of the world because our earth is not flat.

However you could argue that it was not meant to be taken literally
It just seems like all the flaws in the Bible are "not to be taken literally" lol...
But whatever... I guess it's up for interpretation.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swordbeast

Check out Stargates are real, the tower of Babel is also discussed there and analysed in great detail.
And the conclusion is that it indeed could have been a Stargate.

Thanks for pointing out that thread. It's really interesting. I'm only on page 34 and see at present there are 168 pages, so I will be reading for a while before I get to do any replies...but I'll be back.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

It is widely believed and accepted by scholars today that certain stories and events in the Bible are taken from earlier Sumerian accounts.

I'd agree that a lot of people seem to think that. I don't however.

When I was in college, one of my subjects was typography, in which we were told that the first written language developed was cuneiform.

If that is the case, then naturally the Sumerians would be the first to write down stories, that other nations only had an oral version of.

To go the theological route, something else that is interesting to note is that the Tower of Babel was destroyed by the wrath of God.

I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression that God dispersed them before they could finish, but didn't destroy what they had done. Do you perhaps have a scripture for reference?

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthParadox

Well not to derail the thread, but I was actually thinking of the verse where it says that the Devil takes Jesus up to an "exceedingly high mountain" in which he can see all the kingdoms of the world. No matter how high a mountain is, you can't see all the kingdoms of the world because our earth is not flat.

In my mind there can be one of 2 explanations.

Possible Explanation 1
The verse where the story starts (Matthew 4:1) says that Jesus was led up of the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. If he was not there physically but in spirit, then anything is possible.

Possible Explanation 2
The version in question (Matthew 4:8) says:
"...sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world"
The word used for kingdom is ...

βασιλεία
basileia
bas-il-i'-ah
properly royalty, that is, (abstractly) rule, or (concretely) a realm (literally or figuratively): - kingdom, + reign.

...Not every city has a king, therefore not every city is a kingdom, so he wouldn't have needed to see all the way around the world.

Even so, I think I'm going with option 1.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy
Maybe it was a Space Elevator.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a space elevator. It's a pity the image links in that article don't work.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by the siren

To go the theological route, something else that is interesting to note is that the Tower of Babel was destroyed by the wrath of God.

I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression that God dispersed them before they could finish, but didn't destroy what they had done. Do you perhaps have a scripture for reference?

Not from the Biblical account, but in other theological references yes, God did destroy the Tower.

Abydenus was a Greek historian, of whose works we only have surviving fragments, such as:

BUT when the judgements of the Almighty God
Were ripe for execution; when the Tower
Rose to the skies upon Assyria's plain,
And all mankind one language only knew:
A dread commission from on high was given
To the fell whirlwinds, which with dire alarms
Beat on the Tower, and to its lowest base
Shook it convulsed. And now all intercourse,
By some occult and overruling power,
Ceased among men: by utterance they strove
Perplexed and anxious to disclose their mind;
But their lip failed them; and in lieu of words
Produced a painful babbling sound: the place
Was thence called Babel; by th' apostate crew
Named from the event. Then severed far away
They sped uncertain into the realms unknows:
Thus kingdoms rose; and the glad world was filled

This piece comes from the Sybilline Oracles and has quite a bit more if you were interested. I'm sure there are a few more, but they illude me at the moment. I know there was something by Matityahu, who wrote the Antiquities of the Jews, but I don't remember if that mentioned the Tower's destruction or just the people being scattered.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It also says that the people built it with tar; bitumen which makes me think they thought they'd live their lives the way they saw fit and tried to make a structure that would withstand the next flood. They gave God the preverbial finger. And notice too, it says Nimrod was the first king and as such built this very large structure...I think some people even today refer to him as the great architect...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Good thread. Exactly who Nimrod is happens to be a bigger mystery than most people realize.

And though not directly related to your question, a another part of the bible that always stood out to me was that after the flood, god somehow made it so that spirit creatures could no longer materialize in human form and get busy with our women, creating nephilim (which Nimrod may have been one of). Was this done by "decree" alone, or did he change the laws of physics? Or did he cut them off from some sort of physical device?

So, our theories come together herein: was Nimrod's tower simply a "stargate"? I would answer, "mostly". I have a pet theory though, that whatever I describe above, be it a decree, a change in universal laws or a physical device that removed the "angel's" ability to appear in physical form in this realm is related to a "god-machine".

It sounds like far-out sci-fi, of which I am an unashamed fan, but I think this machine or technology may have been responsible for creating dog-headed humanoids, sphinxes and other mythological creatures. This blatant disrespect for the ecosystem and gene-pool of the planet may have angered the "creator" enough to pull the plug on the device.

But Nimrod, whoever the # he is, knows enough about the technology to give a real honest go at turning the machine back on. Several times.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by the siren
yet, God was alarmed enough to scatter the builders all over the earth and confuse their language so that they couldn’t complete the tower. That says to me that God thought they might be successful.

So that’s when I got to thinking that maybe the tower wasn’t an ordinary tower, maybe it was a very fancy spacecraft far beyond our technology and the word ‘tower’ was used because those who translated the Bible didn’t have a word for spacecraft.

I agree with you. I think that is exactly what the people of Babel were trying to do was that this tower was a sort of launching platform for a ship or a spiritual gateway. Now mankind had this technology before the flood as well, but they knew better than to try and use it to actually go to the throne room of God. Before the flood they would only use their ships and gateways for exploring the solar system, much like we use today's spacecraft. These pre-flood peoples I believe even had colonies on the Moon, Mars, and even Venus. They built the pyramid structures to focus energy into their interplanetary gateways in order to use them.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: the siren

It was a portal, a star-gate directly into the higher realms of existence. It was the Sub-Sub-Creators not GOD, as a single entity , who made the portal impossible to work, the tower was laid out in some ancient sacred geometry shape, spiraling into the sky, it had a specific configuration and specific people working on it for it to work. And just before they finished it, everyone was yanked... Yahweh is the Creator of this Earth, not GAIA as many peep refer to Earth. But there's also higher creator in our system which is the Sun, unfortunately I have no idea what is the name of Sub-Creator - SUN. A real wise and old super psychic told me the story the way he saw it in his remote viewing...

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AzuriteStar

u still have access to this super psychic? would be great to have them come do a thread on ATS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join