It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Those Drivers Education Films?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I was just wondering today if they still play those drivers ed scare films to kids these days when they are taking driving courses.

They were basically short films created by highway patrol depicting graphic crashes etc. One such title was Red Asphalt. They made quite a few, but I don't know if they still show them to kids or just bad drivers.

Do you think they actually had an impact?

Should kids be FORCED to watch them?

Should they continue to be made?

I have seen tons of them, and they are basically all the same. They are really done without taste which is disgusting considering the subject matter. If you have seen the early Red Asphalt videos you will know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Well, I understand those films aren't the most pleasant thing to look at - but they do tend to drive the point home. (no pun intended)

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
They are a bit scary, and unrealistic, yes... but... yes I agree with the above poster they do drive the point home.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I don't know about driving lessons in the UK, but they do show them at schools now...or at least they can for people coming up to driving age.

No, it had no effect except to make me feel sick, I didn't need to see the things I images I saw that day, I'll never forget them...but they will have no effect on my driving.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm 17 had my license about a year now. I had to watch the red ashpault films in drivers ed.

They had no lasting impact on my driving habits whatsoever. I wanted to puke yes but, they are not going to keep from texting while driving or driving under the influence.

We definitley shouldn't have to watch them. They wouldn't show that in a theater because it would offend people. So why are millions of teenagers forced to watch them just so they can drive.

O but I forgot teenagers are ignorant and stupid and have no idea what they're talking about.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is pretty much the response that I expected, it didn't have an impact on driving habits. Pretty interesting.

I wonder if any studies have been done?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'm 18 and have had my license for a while, I saw ALL the Red Asphalt films. I doubt it had any effect on my driving personally, however, I know that it effected the driving of my classmates. I do think that students should have to watch the films, because whether it effects your driving or not, you should be fully aware of the possible effects of your own poor choices.

I don't really think the films are done "in bad taste", and I really don't think they're offensive. Like it or not, that could be you. I think it's more of an informative issue. You were presented with the information that allows you to make your own decision about drinking/texting/doing drugs/whatever while driving. Now it's up to you to make the choice.

The Red Asphalt films didn't offend me or scare me or sear unwanted images into my mind. I think they're a better tool than someone saying "Don't do_____because I'm saying it could be bad". This actually SHOWS how it could be bad.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

They do use these in the UK for people who have committed speeding offences. Depending on the police man who pulls you, you are given 3 points on your licence and a choice of either watching a graphic video or paying the £60 fine. Not surprisingly, most opt for the video.

new topics

top topics

join