It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas Missiles Put Israel Nuclear Plant in Battle Zone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Hamas Missiles Put Israel Nuclear Plant in Battle Zone

www.foxnews.com

Hamas missiles have put Israel's top-secret nuclear plant in a battle zone, the London Times reported.

Dimona houses Israel’s only nuclear reactor and is believed to be where nuclear warheads are stored. Israeli officials say that Hamas has acquired dozens of Iranian-made Fajr-3 missiles with long range, making many fear it is only a matter of time before the nuclear installation at Dimona falls within its sights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The secret is out now, surely they have enough sense to move the nuclear war heads elsewhere or lets hope so. Does anybody have an idea of how sensitive this so called top-secret place would be to such rocket attacks?

Rocket attacks from Gaza have forced Israelis to flee in ever greater numbers and military chiefs have been shaken by the size and sophistication of the militant group's arsenal.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Sounds to me like they're attempting to boaster the threat level of Hamas to improve support for whatever action Israel takes against them. Not implying that the threat hitting the nuclear reactor and possible warhead storage facility is false but we all know that more fear = more support.

BTW, I'm not here to debate who's right and who's wrong but more to discuss the possibility of such a rocket causing a nuclear detonation within Israel as the story seemed to suggest.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I got a feeling Israel thought about that possibility a while back and got the perimeter surrounded with the proper system to knock the rockets down. However, the chances are there for the protective system to fail. Either way, this crisis just got elevated to a new level.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Does anyone think that IF one of these Iranian missiles that Hamas has was to hit the nuclear plant than Israel would have good reason to go after Iran as well? I mean, Hamas wouldn't have been able to attack this nuclear plant if Iran had not supplied them with the missiles.
Iran would have known that Hamas will use them against Israel.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by Muundoggie]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Arn't these things unguided? Meaning a direct hit would really be chance.

And also reactors by their very nature are built very well, can't really see a 45kg warhead doing much damage. I could be wrong.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
This is just more Propaganda from the media...I find it very hard to swallow that Hamas would fire at a nuclear plant when they would know the fall out would kill them also....

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by duffster

---

Stuff like that makes hAMAS worth eradicating -- quickly !!

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'd say there would be little chance of damaging any nuclear warheads if they are there. They would (or should) be highly secured in a bunker type complex. But the chances of damaging the reactor could be very real. We don't need another Chernobyl.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
this crisis just got elevated to a new level.

Good point
Now we are in a much more serious scenario of just how far Israel will go you start messing around near the nukes people tend to get a little nervous.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
what are people trying to say?
Israel doesn't have neclear weapons, if they did surely they would have signed the NNPT and kept the few under strict lock and key so as not to be of any danger to anyone, now if they have hidden illegal weapons scattered around the country. it would be their own fault if one was hit by a stray unguided missile which has as much accuracy as a bottle rocket.

if you are going to leave set traps around your yard, it is only a matter of time until someone accidently triggers one.

maybe that thought should have been taken into consideration when aquiring illegal weapons.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by duffster
This is just more Propaganda from the media...I find it very hard to swallow that Hamas would fire at a nuclear plant when they would know the fall out would kill them also....

Nobody ever said Hamas was intelligent.
I hope it was a lucky shot a fluke.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Israel does have nukes. But no one calls them out on it because they all go crying Anti-Semitism.
And the US is their puppet.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
I'd say there would be little chance of damaging any nuclear warheads if they are there. They would (or should) be highly secured in a bunker type complex. But the chances of damaging the reactor could be very real. We don't need another Chernobyl.

Anything like Chernobyl is unlikely to happen again, even if they got lucky enough to damage the containment building. Nobody on the planet uses reactors anymore that can intensify when water is lost. The odds they could even hit one is probably astronomical.

All about nukes, courtesy of Berkeley

video.google.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
There is no way a hit by a 100 pound warhead would penetrate the containment building at the Dimona site much less both it and the reactor vessel.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I think it is important for all of us to take a deep breath, and breathe, and call someone and rejoice in new year musings....

Okay, now, HAMAS and pea-shooters aside, this is dangerous. ISRAEL, of coarse being of the most pure of mind and of sound ethos, are most trustworthy will their nuclear weapons. We must protect that at any cost. Thus, we must up the antee, we must nuke GAZA, neutron-like I am thinking. No fallout. The reason we must do this is freedom will prevail. Liberty and liberty-loving people will not be held to the whims of terrorists. I for one am glad we are on the good side.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Hamas really, really, doesn't want to do that. You go creating a radioactive problem, or even threaten to cause a radioactive problem, you're going to find you yourself have a very short half-life.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Arn't these things unguided? Meaning a direct hit would really be chance.

And also reactors by their very nature are built very well, can't really see a 45kg warhead doing much damage. I could be wrong.

I think the worry here would be that Hamas "sets their sights in on the facility" and launches multiple high numbers of rockets into the area and one shot might be the lucky one for them. I suppose just the multitude of rockets going into that area could cause a decrease in security to there is possibility too.

Originally posted by dooper
Hamas really, really, doesn't want to do that. You go creating a radioactive problem, or even threaten to cause a radioactive problem, you're going to find you yourself have a very short half-life.

Lets not forget we're talking about suicide bombers here.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Israel has about twenty days or so to do what they feel they have tto do, re hAMAS. Including myself, we all have our opinions but I suppose if we were living in the area (either side), I'd wonder would we feel the same, knowing our family could be hurt or worse at any given moment?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Holy crap!

As I write this, there is a ground assault occurring in Gaza.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

What?! It's begun?

Oh no... those civilians are still in there, they have no-where to go... literally... if they try to escape the strip they'll be shot by Israeli or Egyptian border guards.
And Hamas doesn't wear uniforms... there's going to be high civilian casualty rates.

As for the original article, it's not newsworthy. You can't set off a nuke like you can with explosives. You have to deliberately trigger a nuclear warhead to explode, which requires extremely precise electronic timing to do... you could shoot at a nuclear warhead all day long, and the most you'll do is ruin it's ability to detonate by hitting the precisely timed triggering circuit.

So yeah, anyone who knows about nuclear technology knows this is just plain propaganda. The layman who knows nothing about nuclear tech is supposed to think "Oh my god, they could set one off..."
They're counting on you being uneducated and believing there's a danger.
Mostly because they know you've watched too many Hollywood movies, and haven't got the mental stamina to research how it actually works.

Now, as for the ground offensive, I'm going to start checking sources.

[edit on 2-1-2009 by johnsky]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join