It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ways to make money while living off grid/own land...?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Maybe I’m looking at this from the wrong perspective. But I’ve always thought of survival plans as being worst case scenario plans. Commerce and trade plays an almost nonexistent role in my mind. If you are talking about living off the grid then using the internet and other trade infrastructure is really counterproductive. Essentially you are just talking about living without electricity in our current society. I actually have a 50 acre farm (or I should say my parents do) in Northern CA that sits along a navigable waterway (Sacramento River). My “phase 1” bug out plan has always been; in the result of major catastrophe, terrorist attack (WMD) or other service disrupting phenomena to get me, my immediate family and a few select people out of the city’s and out to the farm. Once there we can go “off grid” to some degree. The farm has its own well so water is a minor issue. We can generate our own power (until fuel stores run out) and fish and hunt for food. The problem really comes after society goes for an extended amount of time without government services. Once infrastructure breaks down stealing and looting will become a major issue. Once people start looking outside of the cities for their stealing we could have a problem. I’m not sure how long the farm would be defensible. Once people are hungry and they learn that you have what they have not, we could have problems. Now if you want to have a discussion about what cottage industries will prosper or be useful in times when society are breaking down; mechanics, repairmen other people that can help get people off the grid will start being more valuable than a computer technician and most definitely more valuable than a banker. If you are thinking survival don’t make a plan that relies on anything but YOU.

<< 1   >>

join