It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

How real are the Gods?

page: 1
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Except the Sumerians, what other ancient civilizations thought their gods were real?
I mean, humanoid flesh and blood, real. I had this question posed to me and I couldn't really elaborate. The argument was that the ancients thought that the gods were spirits, like in Native American mythology.
Any takers?



[edit on 1-1-2009 by tungus]




posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The ancient Egyptians, especially the Old Kingdom believed their gods were flesh and blood. They refer back to "The First Time" when the gods ruled Egypt.
Constantly Watching



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
How real are you when you plant a seed... or help an injured animal back on its feet.

how real are you when you forgive and accept somone into your home as a friend? How real is your love?



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I would say most considered their gods capable of being humanoid flesh and blood when they chose to appear that way.



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
That is a pretty broad question and I think almost all at one point thought their gods were real flesh and blood how about the Titans They were children of mixed human and gods.
Also the Aztec, Mayans, Toltec, and Olmec, the list huge.

Not to mention the Egyptian gods



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
how about the Titans They were children of mixed human and gods.

The titans werent children of mixed humans and gods. They where concieved by Gaia and her own offspring. Its just one inbreed bastard after another. It was the later olympian gods that then started banging humans


Either way you're right, one really need to narrow the field... Technically ALL civilizations thought their gods where real. Otherwise they wouldnt be their gods!!!

[edit on 1-1-2009 by merka]



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
That is a pretty broad question and I think almost all at one point thought their gods were real flesh and blood how about the Titans They were children of mixed human and gods.
Also the Aztec, Mayans, Toltec, and Olmec, the list huge.

Not to mention the Egyptian gods


I agree, this is pretty much what I said, but the person I was talking to is struggling with the idea that someone came to this planet (whether on spaceships or materializing from other dimensions), and genetically modified the existing species to create humans to serve/work for them. She also feels that if this is true, then it negates the Creative force of the Universe, which is invisible and what we generally understand as God.
So, she asked, what other civilizations other than the Sumerians thought their gods were real, like human real, because she thought the Native Americans and other ancient (Non-Christian) cultures thought of the gods as nature spirits. I didn't have a satisfactory answer so I posted it here. Any web links?
Thanks.


[edit on 1-1-2009 by tungus]



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
how about the Titans They were children of mixed human and gods.


The Titans were not mixed human and gods...they were gods, just different from the Olympians. You are thinking of Demi-Gods.



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Don’t want to sound like a prick, but is this the right forum for this thread?

Perhaps the OP posted this in the wrong forum, or forgot to explain how his question pertains to Aliens & UFOs?



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
People seem to think that their knowledge and understanding comes from somewhere other than god.

You are the result of this life... the numbers are not separate from the equation... neither is the anwser.



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf
 


if only everyone asked themselves that question



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   


I agree, this is pretty much what I said, but the person I was talking to is struggling with the idea that someone came to this planet (whether on spaceships or materializing from another dimensions), and genetically modified the existing species to create humans to serve/work for them.


An ancient culture believing their gods to be flesh and blood does not mean that they were actually aliens coming down and creating humanity.



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tungus
 


I think this is a great thread and posting S/F


Now if we can keep the Bible/Quran/Tanakh Thumpers at bay we should have a great topic.

I think a better question mite be why would they
A. Need a god?
B. Why associate them with being human?
C. Why do they describe them in such odd details?

More in a moment sandwhich time brb



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by danx
Don’t want to sound like a prick, but is this the right forum for this thread?

Perhaps the OP posted this in the wrong forum, or forgot to explain how his question pertains to Aliens & UFOs?


Give me moment "sandwhich making going on" I'm getting to that exact point brb



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by danx
Don’t want to sound like a prick, but is this the right forum for this thread?

Perhaps the OP posted this in the wrong forum, or forgot to explain how his question pertains to Aliens & UFOs?


Perhaps I didn't express my opinion on the matter. I believe that superior species at some point in this planet's history came here and genetically altered the existing primates to create what is now humans.
So, that would make them "aliens" and if they came here on spaceships that would be filed under "UFO". Hence, this forum.

I was pointing out in a conversation that the Sumerians thought that their gods were real, like physically real, and the reason for the existence of the "Blackheads" aka the "Sumerians" is that the gods needed workers to attend their gardens. I forget now where I read that... So, the question I got asked was what other civilizations other than the Sumerians thought their gods to be real...


[edit on 1-1-2009 by tungus]



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tungus
Perhaps I didn't express my opinion on the matter. I believe that superior species at some point in this planet's history came here and genetically altered the existing primates to create what is now humans.
So that would make them "aliens" and if they came here on spaceships that would be filed under "UFO". Hence, this forum.

Yes, you didn’t explain this at all in the original post.

I believe my question was neither offensive, nor out of line, taking into consideration that you failed to mention this perspective of your question.

Not really sure why SLAYER69 is all up in arms for having asked this, though...

I guess when it comes to religion, people do get extra-sensitive.



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There are quite a few, so here are a couple:

Tuatha de Danna were the ancient inhabitants of Ireland. The Celts believed they were flesh and blood. The Tuatha de Danna also interbred with humans. Their offspring were called Daoine Sidhe.

The ancient Greeks believed their gods (Applo etc.) were flesh and blood but lived in the sky. They also believed that their gods interbred with humans. The famous Akilies was the offspring of one such union.

Indians (Asian) believe Gautama Buddha was man that they now venerate as a god.

As I said there are others, but these are probably the best known.



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by danx

Yes, you didn’t explain this at all in the original post.

I believe my question was neither offensive, nor out of line, taking into consideration that you failed to mention this perspective of your question.

Not really sure why SLAYER69 is all up in arms for having asked this, though...

I guess when it comes to religion, people do get extra-sensitive.


No I didn't. My bad. The question you asked is not offensive, I am glad you asked. It gives me an opportunity to explain what I mean.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by tungus]



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchNLearn
Tuatha de Danna were the ancient inhabitants of Ireland. The Celts believed they were flesh and blood. The Tuatha de Danna also interbred with humans. Their offspring were called Daoine Sidhe.


Kind of sort of. The surviving stories of the Tuatha de Dannan were written in the Christian era, and were regarded as humans (albeit extraordinary). They were probably once worshipped as gods, but later Christian revisionism may be closer to the truth.


Originally posted by WatchNLearn
The ancient Greeks believed their gods (Applo etc.) were flesh and blood but lived in the sky.


Actually they lived on Mount Olympus.



Originally posted by WatchNLearn
They also believed that their gods interbred with humans. The famous Akilies was the offspring of one such union.


While such things did occur in Greek myth (look at the exploits of Zeus), Achilles was not the product of such a union. Achilles was the son of a mortal man and a nymph, not a god (there was a difference to the Greeks). It wasn't until about 1900 years ago that Achilles took on more-than-human abilities in the folklore.



posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
people tend to ignore the ancient hindu texts.
i suggest reading the mahabharata, as they indicate
the same things the sumerians, hebrews and christians do.



[edit on 1-1-2009 by undo]




top topics



 
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join