It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NHL 2009 WINTER CLASSIC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Do you all remember last year's winter classic? The PIttsburgh Penguins pull off a dramatic shootout win against the Buffalo Sabres. The NHL Winter Classic has returned today. The 2009 winter classic will have the Chicago Blackhawks, the youngest team in the NHL, against one of the older teams around, and 2008 Stanley Cup Champs, the Detroit Red Wings. The game will be played at Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs baseball team, where the ivy grows. This will be an awesome game, and i'm very happy to see that the NHL has decided to do this a second time, and hopefully they will continue the tradition.

Happy New Year everyone

2008 NHL Winter Classic-wikipedia

2008 Winter Classic Gallery

2009 NHL Winter Classic-wikipedia

and by the way.....GO LIGHTNING

[edit on 1-1-2009 by spidy]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
They need to figure out a better way of doing this.

The thought of a game at Wrigley Field is marketable, but viewing the game is mediocre at best. The camera angles were weak most of the game and most of the seating was further from the rink than any seat in any NHL arena. Some of the best seats at the Winter Classic would be comparable to the worst seats in a NHL arena.

This annual games need to be more than just a spectacle.

The one in Edmonton a few years ago had this problem. CFL stadiums are wider than NFL stadiums and viewing the game was next to impossible. Last year's was good, the best of the three. The NFL stadium is almost perfect for these. Probably the best that is offered. The baseball field was a terrible format. The shots from overhead showed how much distance there was between the seats and the ice. As a fan, I'm not liking that.

I love the idea of the winter classic and it is a concept I want to see remain. But they need to consider more than just the marketing and the spectacle of it all. It needs to be a good hockey game that both the viewers at home and the people who spend their hard earned dollars for a ticket.

Not so sure if Wrigley provided a suitable viewing experience.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
yea, that was a problem, for people who were actually there. The game last year was more reasonable, at least the Buffalo Bills' stadium was shaped like a rink, so the seating made more sense

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I love the idea of the Winter Classic seeing as hockey is an outdoor sport. There is one problem that I have with it though. The only good location that they to have had no problem with was the game between the Penguins and Sabres back in Janurary. That game itself was played at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo. Chissler has a point being that C.F.L. stadium seating is set further back than what the seating at NFL stadiums are.

One thing I see that the NHL needs to improve apon is where the seating is actually located. Wrigley Field was indeed marketable to NHL fans. It's just that baseball stadiums have that shape so that you can see the whole baseball field, not a hockey rink. I think what the N.H.L. should do next year is see if the seating can be moved from the stands down onto the field.

As for the camera angles, the angles were bad because NBC has forgotten how to step up cameras for baseball stadiums.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

The camera work was pathetic. Did they all forget how to hit the zoom?
AP

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

GO HABS GO

Canadiens will play against Calgary next february with a winter classic

Hope our futur Capt Brian Gionta will kick Calgary butt while its snowing

it will be awesome

this 2010-11 season will be our 101th in total with 24 Stanley cups

another 1 and it we will have a 1/4 of century of winning cups

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a9adea74a664.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 9/21/2010 by Ben81 because: correction

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Ill hopefully be attending the Heritage Classic, but ill be cheering for the Flames, hehe.
Im wondering about the weather in February though.
If we get a chinook, it could cause problems with the ice.

Hopefully it all goes well, cant wait!

new topics

top topics

join