It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help - computer problem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I think I need to do something drastic too, but I'm not sure how.

I've started to put my work onto discs, but honestly there's not much. I've got another computer for the important stuff. There's some pictures and photos I'd like to save though.

My main worry is getting back onto the internet. I don't know how to do it, my housemate who set it all up has left.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Are you on a wireless or are you plugged in directly via DSL/Cable modem?

Edit: Again I only have a vague recollection of Windows OS, but if I remember correctly once you re-install the OS I believe there is a step by step tutorial to connect to the internet.

[edit on 1/2/2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I've got a modem.

I don't know how to uninstall - but I've got a laptop that needs fixing, it just turns off without warning. If I got that sorted out I could use it for the internet.

I could try and get in touch with aol and see if they can provide the software again.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

AOL won't be able to help you with re-installing your OS which I assume is either XP or Vista. They will be able to help you if they are your Internet Service Provider to reconnect to the internet. Just make sure before you re-install that you have written down their access telephone number so your modem can dial it it after reinstall. If you have the original AOL install CD you wont even need to call them.

Do you have your original OS install disks that came with your computer?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Sorry, I'm probably being really thick. The OS is the computer not the internet, isn't it?

I probably would have the discs if there were any.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

No. The OS (Operating System) is the operating software. In the case of Windows PCs, it is either windows xp, windows vista, or perhaps an even older version such as windows 98. When you purchase a pc the OS is 99% of the time pre-installed, and the CDs or DVDs of the OS are included with the box.

What we are talking about here is essentially restoring your computer to its original state. Having said all that, to the best of my recollection, re-installing an OS is not as easy on a windows pc as it is on a mac. That is to say since windows is built on a DOS platform a re-install requires a little bit of computer skills. Not much but enough to require the user to make some choices about partitions and others whilst in DOS mode. I say this because I don't want you to start the process, accidentally mess it up and have a completely non-functioning computer. So perhaps you may want to get someone who has done this before to help you. If you have another working computer in your house that is connected to the internet I can try to find you the link of a website that can help you through the process step by step. If not, better be safe than sorry and seek out some assistance.

Your other alternative would have been to use the "system restore" feature. The problem with that is that you have now run so many cleaning tools that chances are that the restore points have been deleted.

Bloody PCs, they are a real pain in the bottom. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I really wish some of our Windows experts would chime in to back me up or to discount everything I said.

I don't want to be giving out erroneous advice.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I have to say i agree with schrodinger at this point. If the problem is un-identifiable then it will be nearly impossible to fix it. I would read through 411-spyware prior to doing a reinstall because you may find your issue exactly and they will tell you how to fix it.

Did they identify it on 411-spyware? If so what was their defintion?

If you choose to do a re-install there are some things to know. Depending on the manufacturer of your computer it should have come with a "restore disk" or Windows disk.

Restore Disk - It will likely have its own thing depending on the manufacturer of the computer, but should guide you through the process.

Windows disk - If you have XP or Vista, you boot from the windows cd. Most computers have it so all you have to do is put the CD in and restart and it will start to load from the windows disk. It will guide you through the process for the most part and give you the option to reformat and re-install.

If you have a computer from a major manufacturer (eg: dell, gateway, compaq, sony,) They likely have a tech support and be willing to guide you through the process to an extent. If it is custom built then you will probably have to do it on your own. Microsoft has a guide to installing xp Here and i am sure they do the same for their other Operating systems. If you have a copy of windows bought from the store then they may be willing to provide support, but if it is OEM or came from a computer manufacturer then they will charge for support because your computer manufacture is supposed to provide it.

Be careful about buying stuff or accessing personal information until you fix this problem incase it is taking your info.

Once you finish dedicate to a piece of software to prevent it from happening again. I reccomend Spybot Search and Deystroy. It is free and is constantly being updated but others may like something else. There are alot of free utilites out there so i wouldn't reccomend buying one.

411-Spyware is an excellent resource to get information but they will try to sell you something so i would avoid buying from them. They provide excellent info for do-it-yourself removal.

Hope this helps!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dantrav

Am I right in remembering that when you do an OS re-install the first thing that comes up is a DOS menu asking you to choose how to re-partition the disc?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Sort of. Win95, Win98, WinME, and win2k used dos boot disks to start the process of the install where you partition and so on. With that you have a basic command line structure (eg; a:\fdisk)

WinXP and vista have semi graphical interfaces to assist in the process. It is still pretty basic but you don't have to know all of the commands for the basic dos command lines and such. It does a better job of guiding new users through the process.

If you have a mass-manufactured computer that came with a "factory restore disk" it may be even easier. Some of the big manufacturers don't include a windows install disk but instead a disk that simply re-images the hard drive to the way it was when it left the manufacturer. That is the easiest but rare nowadays.

Hopefully OP has an easy way out on this. I personally have experienced a malware called virtumonde and it made me want to pull my hair out because it wrote itself everywhere.

The good thing from all of this is reinstalling the OS typically corrects any other software related problems and refreshes the system. Its just an initial pain to get everything back the way you want it.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dantrav

The good thing from all of this is reinstalling the OS typically corrects any other software related problems and refreshes the system. Its just an initial pain to get everything back the way you want it.

True, I suppose the bad thing is the hours you have to spend re-installing service pack.
Still worth it if the OS has been infected.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Most "newer" computers, windows, comes with a "Preinstalled" partition that is the OS Recovery...

I know that all of my Vista machines do.

No disk, just the restore partition and in the Control Panel is an option to "Recover Disk"

That "Re-Installs" the version of windows automatically

Semper

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dantrav

Sorry I didn't list the 411 findings before - there were so many I didn't know where to start.
Here goes:

184 infections altogether including:

Memory - 3, Registry - 28, Cookies - 115, Files - 38

These few are the first they listed and looked like the dangerous ones:

Trojan.Vundo
Trojan-Dropper.Delf
Trojan-Downloader.Matcash
Rogue.Virus Remover 2008
Rogue. AntiSpyware Master
Backdoor.TDSS

I have contacted my ex-housemate to see if he still has the AOL disc and I will be prepared to un-install and re-install. This computer is a few year's old so I'll see what discs I have.

One good thing came from doing the scan - I started up my computer with no trouble afterwards.

The only date the computer offered for a system restore is December 31st at just after 2am, which I think is just before the problems started.

Unfortunately, I can't get the system restore to work.

I will copy all the new information everyone has given me and read it very carefully.

Thanks again for all the trouble you have all taken for me.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If you locate them on that site they will tell you how to remove them from your computer. It is just a painstaking process, for example www.411-spyware.com... That link shows you how to manually remove antispyware master. If you go to that site, seach and follow the removal instructions for every enrtry it will fix quite a bit without a fresh install. The only catch is that you will be getting into the sytem registry and if you don't do it correctly that will also mess it up warranting a windows re-install.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Hi, it's berenike

My computer completely froze and I have to accept that it's gone for good.

I am in the library and can't log on.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me. I hope to be back online soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join