It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet or alien craft?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ok, this is a really long stretch, but I just read this article on astronomy.com, and started wondering how those molecules could possibly form naturally in a comet. I believe there's a possibility, but the comet is Hale-Bop, and with that cult saying it's an alien craft, and it turns out to contain anti-freeze...Dunno, what do y'all think. I don't really buy my own idea, but I figured I'd present it.

Jacques Crovisier (Paris Observatory) and his team report the discovery of ethylene glycol in archived radio spectra of Comet Hale-Bopp (C/1995 O1). The ten-atom molecule, HOCH2CH2OH, which is used as antifreeze in cooling fluids for automobiles, "is the most complex chemical species ever identified in a comet by means of spectroscopy," say the scientists. Hale-Bopp, an unusually active comet, produced 1031 water molecules � enough to fill a couple of Olympic-size swimming pools � each second when it passed through perihelion in early April 1997. In terms of the relative number of molecules formed, Hale-Bopp produced 0.25 percent as much ethylene glycol as it did water.
So what's antifreeze doing in a comet? Ethylene glycol is the chemically reduced form of the simplest sugar (glycolaldehyde) and has been found in interstellar clouds (such as Sagittarius B2) and meteorites (like the Murchison and Murray carbonaceous chondrites). Its discovery in Comet Hale-Bopp "makes it even more compelling that volatile cometary matter retains a significant interstellar signature," the team writes, saying that it strengthens the connection between cometary and interstellar material. Their work appeared in the March 18, 2004, issue of Astronomy & Astrophysics.

astronomy.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Where do you think all that anti-freeze those cult members drank went ;-)

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by senshido
Where do you think all that anti-freeze those cult members drank went ;-)

ROFL!!!!!

Grey Pilgrim

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well, it wasn't the cult that originally stated the comet had an anomaly travelling along side it. That person was the now deceased amateur astronomer Chuck Shramek along with other amateurs who saw the same thing. Pictures of the anomaly showed up in at least one Hubble Telescope image and several japanese observatory images. The japanese observatory images are what convinced the Heaven's Gate Cult that there was indeed a UFO travelling along with the Hale Bopp comet. I must say I agree with that assessment from everything I have seen regarding the anomaly.

Now whether or not it was something to commit suicide over was entirely subjective on the part of the members of that cult.

top topics

join