It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peter Popoff! The miracle healer...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Just did a search and im amazed theres just one post and one thread on him

A quick reminder this evangelist healer was famous in the 80s as a person who could cure you and make you rich, he had many programes showing you `healing ` people.. that is till a certain james randi claimed to debunk him,

Now he is back........
and as you`ll see business is as good as ever

comments please......

ps take it as you will but when i saw one of his videos claiming he is `touching out to make everyone watching this broadcast rich` i actualy got that very weekend a cheque for a thousand pounds from an old friend whod owed it me for 2 years and i never thought id get it back.....

comments please

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
He's a scammer. The reason he went into hiding in the 80s was due to a news crew exposing his scam.

Before people attend his event, he collects their information: name, address, illness, etc, on a card.

Then when he says that "God" is speaking to him, one of his assistants whisper's the person's information into a mic that sends the signal to his ear piece about the person's info. Peter then says that God told him that (person's name that submitted) needs his help from God, and that God wants Peter to heal(person's name).

The news crew brought in a device that allowed them to listen in on the signal and they recorded everything that was said to Popoff, causing people at his church to stop coming.

Today, he gives out "free" handkerchiefs or "holy water" and includes a letter with each one that if the person (who receives the handkerchief or holy water) doesn't return the envelope with a check for X amount of sum (usually $1,000+), then God will not allow the handkerchief/holy water to give them a miracle.

The handkerchief is of course not holy and just a peice of cloth and the "holy water from Jeresulam" is nothing but tap water.

He spends less than $0.05 buying the handkerchief and makes a $1000+ profit on each one.

Other televangelists run the same kind of scam, and those who are gullible enough to buy into their scheme spend their life savings on a false cure.

Here is the exact letter and scam he sends you if you ask for his handkerchief: www.christianissues.com...

Here's a video showing one of his scams exposed:

Here are some links you will find interesting: www.religionnewsblog.com...

www.jesus-is-savior.com...

People who respond to his scam: www.christianissues.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Kelly Media Group (KMG, Inc.) was founded in 2003 by Jason Cardiff. Kelly Media Group is a direct marketing agency. Anyone who has ever received junk mail in their mailbox will know what direct marketing is.

Kelly Media’s website states,”Why would you chance the future of your business on an advertising company that has to outsource your mailing campaigns to a 3rd-party fulfillment house. It is imperative that you place your direct mailing endeavors into the hands of a proven direct mailer, like Kelly Media Group.”

Why would you chance your future of your business on a fraudulent bag of manure like Jason Cardiff is a better question.

One of the areas specifically mentioned on Kelly Media Group’s website is “Church Marketing”. And boy does Kelly Media know how to market for the church. You see, the founder of Kelly Media, Jason Cardiff, also happens to be the son-in-law of Peter Popoff.

Peter Popoff, who in 1987 was making $4.3 million per MONTH, is a self proclaimed televangelist and claims to be a faith healer. He was a widely popular minister in the 1980s.

Yes, Peter Popoff, disgraced faith healer, and his collaborator wife, Elizabeth, are on the air trolling for dollars. On cable infomercials, Popoff promotes the Peter Popoff World Outreach Ministry, pleading for viewers to order his book, Prosperity Thinking: God’s Dynamic Forces That Bring Riches to
YOU! and get his new free, tiny vial of “Miracle Spring Water.” Intercut is scenes from his revival show where he lays hands on the afflicted, allegedly curing all sorts of medical problems (wink! wink!) and, oddly, supposedly freeing a woman’s jailed son.

Also intercut are scenes of Elizabeth reading “testimonials” of the cures from viewers healed by the
water or by Popoff through the TV.

Popoff, was exposed by James Randi on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in 1986. Randi and friends found out that Elizabeth was transmitting information to Peter, who wore a hidden earpiece
camouflaged as a hearing aid (very strange for a man who could supposedly cure all manners of illness).

Randi said, “I explained how Popoff had sent Reeford Sherrill (his ‘front man’), Volmer Thrane, and his wife, Elizabeth, into the audience in advance, equipped with transmitters to gather and broadcast the needed data backstage to the reverend.”

During the show, Elizabeth would prompt him again on the problems claimed by certain people in the audience. It then looked like he knew a person’s name and affliction as if given the information by
God! During one part of the revival section of the new show, Popoff gets worked up and touches the foreheads of afflicted persons, who usually fall backwards into the arms of one “volunteers”.

Youtube hosts numerous videos of this fraud, including James Randi on the Johnny Carson show in which Popoff’s wife Elizabeth, can actually be heard revealing audience member’s names and their illnesses to Peter via radio signals sent to the earpiece. Elizabeth can be heard to say, “Hello, Petey. I love you! I'm talking to you. Can you hear me? If you can't, you're in trouble, 'cause I'm talking as well as I can! I'm looking up names right now."

In one recorded session Elizabeth Popoff speaks: "Reeford's got a hot one!" (Laughter.) "Reeford's so excited! He came running in back here and scared us half to death! You ready for a hot one? Okay! Want a hot one? Hot one! Hot off the press! Ruby Lee Harris. Ruby Lee. She is standing in the far back where there's no chairs. (Long pause) "...Ruby Lee Harris. She's against the back wall. She's got lumps in her breast. You might want to whisper it - have her walk down! Have her run up there. Run! Oh! Look at her run! (Loud laughter) "she's got knots in her breast." (Laughter and giggles.) A home run! A home run!" (Then, later on, giggles are heard, and Pam speaks.) "At any rate, she should kick him in the face!" (giggles) (Elizabeth speaks.) "Pam says to make her - Pam thinks that you shoul

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sickening, Absolutely Sickening.

When I see people like this, two things come to my mind, one, they are deceived or, two, they don't believe to begin with and know fully well, what they are doing. Where this man is concerned, I think the latter applies to him.

I remember when Popoff was exposed by Randy. I guess all it takes is letting a few years slide, memories to fade and then resurface in the same old snake skin.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Can't remember the title, but Steve Martin was in a film that exposed many of the tricks of these charlatans... As well as entertainment, it was enlightening....

ps take it as you will but when i saw one of his videos claiming he is `touching out to make everyone watching this broadcast rich` i actualy got that very weekend a cheque for a thousand pounds from an old friend whod owed it me for 2 years and i never thought id get it back.....

Check in "The Secret" as to why this may have occurred....
It may not be it either, but certainly more plausible....

I would imagine that anyone with a true psychic healing ability would likely keep it more or less to themselves...and only use it as discretely as possible, so his friends don't think he's weird....and use it only to relieve suffering when he thought he could do so....

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
There is a simple rule anyone can follow when it comes to Evangelical "healers."

If you can't tell if a person is trusting or not, ask yourself why would a person who makes millions of dollars/pounds ask people for money to heal them? Much less, anyone who claims to work for God would do it for free, would they not?

top topics

join