It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ads Have Eyes!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The Ads Have Eyes!

spectrum.ieee.org

How low, then, do you think most people would place a company that wanted to help advertisers learn more about you than you’d agreed to tell? That’s just what TruMedia Technologies, headquartered in Tampa, Fla., proudly claims to do with a facial recognition–based system it has developed for digital advertising screens in airports and malls.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Now when we are walking about minding our own business and the ads we look at will be looking back at us! A scary thought indeed! I personally am opposed against such a measure it is an invasion of our privacy.

Now a days however, companies are doing more and more to invade our daily lives to get more information out of us. Is there no one left who would defend our privacy rights!?

No matter, companies will continue to do this and our rights will diminish over time.

spectrum.ieee.org

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Reminds me of when I was a teenager. I used to wish the posters of my favorite rock stars had cameras where the star could see me,lol

Would have paid for the service then,lol

They adds may have eyes, now we can mess with them ,lol They want to see us, but we can control what they see. Even if it is me peeing on the add,lol

Ama

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
amatrine- Now that I never thought of! lol I could imagine a couple thousand people abusing the system and messing around with the ads. It would be chaos for the cameras.

"Lets all play a game. Find the camera on the ad and destroy it!" lol

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Some parts of the idea are pretty good (the research side). Letting a customer know how long somebody views the ad, if they are male or female etc would be pretty valuable information.

They are taking adsense to real life.

Too bad it will fail.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
when i was a teen and ate at the golden arches from time to time, i'd take the pickle from my burger and stick it to the security camera's lense.

as you leave the store look at the counter with the split camera's displayed and truely was like looking through a pickle - seeds n all

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneInDarkness

Now when we are walking about minding our own business and the ads we look at will be looking back at us! A scary thought indeed! I personally am opposed against such a measure it is an invasion of our privacy.

spectrum.ieee.org

It's no more of an invasion of your privacy then a person looking at you and manifesting a thought about you based on your physical characteristics.

It's just a machine that will realize you are fat, and display an ad for diet pills, or a machine that sees that you're a child and shows you a video game ad.

It's merely a very specialized branch of artificial intelligence. Nothing to be afraid of.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So... not only will big brother will be watching you... but big viral advertiser will be watching you as well!

AM I being paranoid enough?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

AM I being paranoid enough?

The answer around here will always be no.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Lol, agreed. I still think this is taking it too far. We have too many spam ads sent to our computers through, not exactly legal, programs. Do we really need to be sent ads in this physical world. Next they will be trying to broadcast advertisements into our brains.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneInDarkness

"Lets all play a game. Find the camera on the ad and destroy it!" lol

*It would be a good place to put my chewed gum after it's lost it flavour... right on the lens.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Lol, I really wouldn't doubt it. People will mess with this system. I mean they have to watch it so it would be making fun of them and their system.

new topics

top topics

join