It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asthma Inhalers BAnned, 2009

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This makes me so angry. I have asthma .
These new devices cost a LOT, imagine that, and have to be cleaned, or will clog. How nice when you are having an attack. This needs to be stopped

cleantechnica.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I have Asthma too and I hope you know that the inhalers they have out now you still have to clean the containers just the same. If you don't then it starts to look dirty and they can clog too.

Besides you should have known about the switch earlier like in February. It's too late for you to start complaining now.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I have not heard of this until today.

I have never cleaned mine, and they work fine. I have one in my cars, home,
purse etc. I wish I knew I would have stacked up.

They may as well ban hairspray, fridges, whip cream cans, etc too.

All in the name of the global warming scam.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by amatrine]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

Cant belive they still had things with CFC's in them anymore - good move in my oppinion - especially considering how many suffer from Asthma, smalll changes like this in America (Huge) could make a diffrence

Dont worry though, if you do end up with the America's equivalent to NHS, then i dont think you need worry too much about the cost.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

It's not too early for me to start complaining. This is the first I've heard of this new rule. I'm getting tired of all this green crap already. I want my daughter's inhalers as they've always been. To heck with the planet.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I've had a prescription for albuteral fro the past few years and my share of the cost was around $17.00 I'm not sure if my insurance had covered these anyway.

I've had two so far and because I hardly ever used it, they both expired according to the expiration dates. I wonder if that date really matters anyway. I would think that there are still a lot of these older ones on the market they would than have to return.

It would make more sense that no new ones were made after this date, just as it was with R12. (which is now recycled)

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Global Warming is not a scam. You should be happy that the inhalers have changed because the new ones are better for the environment. I know for a fact that if the environment around you is clean then you breath better.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Confused.......... i thought CFC's Banned already.??

encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com...

Must be in the phasing out process of the ban:

encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com...

[edit on 31-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980
Confused.......... i thought CFC's Banned already.??

CFC's are banned. However, there are some who don't like the fact the there inhalers don't contain it anymore.

There are also some people who don't like the idea of new inhalers being pushed on them because they are too green.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Better for the environment, but not as effective for people. Nice.
A lot more people smoke , that use inhalers.
This to me rings of profit for the drug companies.

I will not go into a global warming argument in this thread, but with a lot of research and comparing, I do not believe it is so.

Anyway, being that I am someone who is allergic to a lot of things,
including other inhalers like advair, I have something that works, and I do not want it messed with. You better believe if anything happens to me, as a result of these new inhalers I am going to sue. But oh yeah, that's rite, can not sue for very much anymore, when it comes to medical issues. I have severe asthma, and those inhalers give me enough time to get to the ER sometimes. If something less effective does not even get me there, what good is it? They take my light bulbs, and flourescent ones cause headaches with me, ( So I stocked up) Now they take my inhaler, what is next?

What the hell happened to people being protected. The whole darn world is starting to sound like paypal. The customer is not protected yet you have to use it. ( ebay made paypal only option)

Some may see it as no big deal, but hey I still consider my life a big deal.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The FDA must have allowed then to use the compound in medical devices.

Nice.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Global Warming is not a scam.

Well, there is someone who believes the opposite. This article was just published today:
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

Environment minister Sammy Wilson: I still think man-made climate change is a con
Wednesday, 31 December 2008
Environment minister Sammy Wilson

Spending billions on trying to reduce carbon emissions is one giant con that is depriving third world countries of vital funds to tackle famine, HIV and other diseases, Sammy Wilson said

In addition, my wife and one of my daughters use the inhalers, and they were not told by doctors, pharmacists, or anyone that this change was taking effect. It's amazing how the government went out of their way to warn people of the change to digital broadcasts, but couldn't do the same for a common prescription item used by millions.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

I just checked with Astra Zeneca. Their inhaler, Pulmicort Flexhaler, has not contained CFC for quite some time already.

Here also, is what I found concerning those that already comply:

DPIs deliver a fine powder to the lungs . Examples include the quick relief/long acting medication Foradil®, the controller medications Asmanex® and Pulmicort® flexhaler, and the combination inhalers Advair® and Symbicort®. DPIs do not contain CFC or HFA, but some contain tiny amounts of lactose, which is a type of sugar.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Is this just being introduced in the US? I haven't heard anything about it on this side of the Atlantic and I'd like to know more.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

There is an inhaler called Combivent it's what I take and it's really good.
However, it costs about $30 to $40 with my insurance. Without insurance it would cost a person over $100 just for one inhaler, but to me the cost is worth it.

I don't know if you use Combivent or not, but it's not going the same route as the regular inhalers...not that I am aware of. This inhaler contains two medicines, the same two that some hospitals give someone when they are having an attack. The two medicines are ipratropium bromide and albuterol.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketgirl
Global Warming is not a scam. You should be happy that the inhalers have changed because the new ones are better for the environment. I know for a fact that if the environment around you is clean then you breath better.

could you point me to the scientific proof of it not being a scam?
pretty sure they now call it climate change because the earth has stopped warming

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
No have not heard of that one. There was one they tried to put me on, and it was also over 100, and my deductible was not met so stayed with what I have.
Now I will loose that option. I really do worry if something happens and I can not afford one.

Rite now I take albuterol, and I also use Spiriva. Sprivia is not instant though.

Will have to ask about that one, which is fine when my deductible is met.
But otherwise I am in trouble.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
No have not heard of that one. There was one they tried to put me on, and it was also over 100, and my deductible was not met so stayed with what I have.
Now I will loose that option. I really do worry if something happens and I can not afford one.

Rite now I take albuterol, and I also use Spiriva. Sprivia is not instant though.

Will have to ask about that one, which is fine when my deductible is met.
But otherwise I am in trouble.

In my opinion, Combivent works better for me. I guess it works better because it contains two medicines.

I hope that if your doctor decides to put you on the same inhaler, that you will be able to get it because asthma is nothing to play around with.

Alyeah, do you by any chance that allergy shots?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I went in for allergy testing, and the testing put me in the hospital.

The side of my arm where they did mold testing, every single one swelled up over the size of a dollar coin, followed by an asthma attack, and severe cellulitis.

No way will I get the shots when just the test amount did all that! I am not kidding when I say I am allergic to everything. I am about two steps away from being a bubble woman,lol

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I read this awhile back. I also have asthma and as far as I know it's really only a couple of brands that are salbutamol only that are being canned.

The ones which contain steroids AND salbutamol are deemed safe. Adviar being the one that they tote as being safe and is (in canada 80% more expensive than plain salbutamol puffers or discus.)

It works 80% better though and regular prescribed dosages actually makes the use of emergency puffers (salbutamol only) much less.

use of only salbutamol can actually CAUSE an asthma attack. It's a short period medication works fast but lasts not terribly long.

Wheras advair lasts twice as long, used as prescribed it is extremely effective. It is very sad that it is so astronomically expensive compared to salbutamol.

In canada without medical insurance the full price is 157 bucks for 150 metered doses. A buck a puff at 4 puffs per day - get's expensive.

I only have partial coverage and I have to meter out my doses to match my damn budget. Sad but true.

If I have a serious attack I will use the ventolin (salbutamol) once and wait 15 minutes depending on how I feel I either do a second round of 2 more puffs. If after 30 minutes I'm still wheezing I't s a visit to the ER - THAT is covered 100%. I have a serious attack about 3-4 times per year and usually when i get a cold. Even using the steroid can't ward off all attacks.

I hate the cost of the Most effective medicines - it's wrong. The Advair can't cost anymore than the salbutamol to produce and package yet it's 80% more expensive???? Pharma Nazi's.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join