It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Scary Technologies of 2008

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Over on howstuffworks.com they put out a list called "Top 5 Scary Technologies of 2008". I remember reading on all these topics here on this site over the year. It's funny how much has happened and how much of this stuff has since slipped from my thoughts.
Thier list is as follows:
5. Hearing Voices at the Store
4. Law Enforcement takes your labtop
3. Cyberwar
2. The Technologocal Singularity
1. The Large Hadron Collider

So if this were a top ten list what else should be on it? It will be good for us to reflect back and apply what has been introduced to us to reality.

Howstuffworks.com

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I agree with the 4 of them but not the collider, that thing is gonna help us understand so much about our universe. So long as it's used right, i don't really believe it can cause massive black holes or any sort of catastrophic event.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

But some of the concerns around the LHC if true would be pretty scary and the potential implications of opening this box are so huge, I can see why it would be considered scary.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I never stopped thinking about that audio thing since I first heard of it's use. I want one bad.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree with you and also believe as long as it's used right. But honestly... How often is something used for the right reasons or for the betterment of mankind?

Real money is in war, disease and "cures" for those diseases...

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I agree with the first three.

However, I personally don't believe A.I. will become sentient any time soon, or maybe ever. The human brain is a complicated tool to understand, let alone mechanically re-create. When, or if scientists realize that machines with consciousness is unfeasible, they'll see that cybernetic organisms are superior. Man and machine together is the future.

As for the LHC, there is nothing to fear from it. The possibility of micro black holes is so unlikely that it may well be impossible. And even if they are created, they will decay quickly. It is really just a machine to probe and understand the cosmos at a deeper level. Besides draining all the power from Geneva, I don't expect any apocalyptic scenarios being caused by it.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Not Scary? She didn't agree:

INDORE: A 16-year-old girl in Madhya Pradesh allegedly committed suicide after watching news on channels about possibility of the end of earth following the atom-smasher experiment in Geneva that began on Wednesday.

Source

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I was hoping others could add something new to list. If not scary then perhaps something that will have a negative impact in your opinion.

top topics

join