It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. vacates Baghdad palace ahead of handover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

U.S. vacates Baghdad palace ahead of handover

news.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD (Reuters) – U.S. officials withdrew on Wednesday from the Saddam Hussein-era palace they have occupied in Baghdad since 2003, a sign of the change of power when their troops come under Iraqi authority at midnight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The U.S. force in Iraq, now more than 140,000 strong, has operated since 2003 under a U.N. Security Council resolution which expires at midnight on New Year's Eve. From January 1, U.S. troops will operate with authority granted by the Iraqi government under a pact agreed by Washington and Baghdad.

The pact -- viewed by both countries as a milestone in restoring Iraqi sovereignty -- requires U.S. troops to leave in three years, revokes their power to hold Iraqis without charge and subjects contractors and off-duty troops to Iraqi law.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm glad we are finally able to start bringing our troops home and that the Iraqi government is ready to stand on it's own.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
They're not coming home. They will stay in the region and be transferred to Afghanistan.

Obama's Bring Then Home was just a slogan to win votes.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by jam321]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You're probably right, but surely they won't send the whole bunch of them straight to Afghanistan. They do have to send them home sometime and barring anything drastic happening there is not a need for another 140k troops to be in Afghanistan.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

The pact -- viewed by both countries as a milestone in restoring Iraqi sovereignty -- requires U.S. troops to leave in three years, revokes their power to hold Iraqis without charge and subjects contractors and off-duty troops to Iraqi law

Does this mean that off duty women soldiers will have to wear burkas?

Of course I'm joking.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
To tell you the truth, I hope they quickly wrap up the war in Afghanistan as well and bring all of our troops home. They deserve a big break after all they have been through. Let the Covert operations and the CIA take over the fight against terrorism.

on your thread.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Muundoggie

I don't know. I suppose we'll find out if there is an article in a few days about a female soldier being arrested for not wearing one though.

reply to post by jam321

Me too. The troops and their families have been through enough already, not to mention the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan who have lost homes and loved ones, and I for one am far past ready for these wars to be over already.

Thank you, by the way. The article needed to be posted, though I'm sure the thread won't get much attention since it doesn't condemn the US or the troops.

new topics

top topics

join