It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Literal Interpretation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Christian people please respond:

Tell me, why is it that christian people tell me to my face that I will go to hell because I question the Bible (a book with many obvious flaws)? When I say, I do not believe some stories such the story of Noah and his ark to be true. I don't feel that there was an Adam and an Eve. Why am I criticised for my opinions? I am criticised for not using a literal interpretation of the old testament.

Then, when I do use the literal interpretation of certain things in the bible that "contradict" what some people believe, I get explanations of how these are just metaphors or analogies and need not be taken literally. I mean...you christians must be really smart to know when and where to take things literally and when not too. Im just a moron or something. Satan must be tempting me to stray from the Lord I presume. Of course God does not temp anyone. Even when he temped Abraham, christians knew that the Bible later said that never happened. So they changed the word temp to test. I have a worksheet from a church Bible study that goes into great detail on the difference between temp and test. How nice of them to change the bible...and then teach it as if it was absolutely true and literal.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm not christian, but from what I have observed people seem to interpret the bible in a way that is of relivence to the individual reading it. Simply because of the translations, highly subjective language and mutations over time, one cannot really argue that two different readers may have very different interpretations of the writing.

So what is the correct way to read it? Unless you can find an original copy in the original language and understand the nuances of the way that language is commonly used at the time of the bible's conception, then you/we will probably never know for sure.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
A good REL (Religion) 101 class would certainly do great wonders in helping people interpret what they are reading in the Bible. Historical context in relation to its literary meaning to those who wrote it and to whom they recorded and wrote makes a world of difference.
Literialism is a mistake.

seekerof

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Funny I was thinking the same thing, but opposite. You see when athiest "some not all" hear I am a Christian they call me blind, hmmm, you atheist must be really smart to know when and where to take things literally and when not too. And as for the contridictions , there was a great thread on them , I suggest you read it and submit your own, and see if someone can explain it to you.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
You must live in a rough neighborhood, being that christians constantly come up to you and tell you that you're going to hell! Is my sarcasm as good as yours?

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Didn't you hear , he live in 17th century England

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebeagle
You must live in a rough neighborhood, being that christians constantly come up to you and tell you that you're going to hell! Is my sarcasm as good as yours?

I am complaining about this because I recently had a huge conflict in my life directly related to this. I had a girl who I dated and would have married tell me she loved me more than anything in the world (as I loved her) and then walk away because I was not sure about God. Whoa...no sarcasm....just the brutal reality that is christian life.

Oh by the way...I am not an athiest Info....if you were referring to me. Thanks for your educated imput though...(and there is the sarcasm)

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that Kabbalists wrote most of the Bible; so studying Kabbalah might help in understanding many of the interpretations.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Oh, forgot this.

www.gnostickabbalah.com...

The Eurocentric Biblical depictions are a little annoying but a great site nonetheless.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople

Originally posted by thebeagle

I am complaining about this because I recently had a huge conflict in my life directly related to this. I had a girl who I dated and would have married tell me she loved me more than anything in the world (as I loved her) and then walk away because I was not sure about God. Whoa...no sarcasm....just the brutal reality that is christian life.

Oh by the way...I am not an athiest Info....if you were referring to me. Thanks for your educated imput though...(and there is the sarcasm)

Did you ever think that in her belief , it was poinless to be with you. Its doesn't matter if you believe in God, she does , so why would she devot her life to someone who she thinks will not be with her in the afterlife, its a lot bigger than you, did you ever think "Hey maybe I will try this"? Did you put any effort towards understanding ehr views, if you were anything like you are on this site to her, that can you really blame her, you are a christian bashing person , that is one of her deepest views.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Seapeople: A girlfriend walking away from you because you have different religious beliefs is really tough. I can understand. I have also dated girls who I really liked but we shared different religious beliefs and because of that alone the relationships ended.

It is hard to understand and it might not even been fair for her to leave so quickly without trying to help you find your path with God, but if you two are on different levels that will never meet then it is probably for the best.

It is very hard for a Christian person to live a Christian life when their spouse has questions about God and faith and possibly does not believe the same core religious values. I can tell you that Christian girls want to find strong Christian men because that�s what they need in their life to help build a foundation of faith for their family. The father figure in the home should be the priest of the home.

I obviously do not know the situational details, but this girl might have realized that it was going to be impossible to change your opinions or saw your questions as a bad sign. If she wasn�t going to be happy then moving on was all that she could do. But I don�t think you should give up on a relationship with God or the opposite sex. Both can be ridiculously confusing at times but I do believe that we need both in our lives to be happy.

[Edited on 14-4-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I know that these are the reasons, and I don't hold them against her. I fully understand that God needs to come #1 in your life over everything else. That is at least if you are a true Christian.

I guess this is not the time or the place to explain this, but I will anyway. I met her while debating religion with her mother. The family is very religious. I was discussing my views with someone who referred me to her mother. Which is how I met her. We both knew going in about these problems. There was something about her that I can't explain. I have dated more attractive women and women that I had more in common with. I had never felt the way I did about her. The fact that she could walk away from me over religion makes me fully understand two things. She truly believes in God (or she just lied to me about her feelings), and that religion divided two very otherwise compatable people. Much like it divides people all over the world. War.....where does it come from? Religion.

I see many problems with the bible. Many contradictions and things of that nature that can't be explained away without interpretation. Without taking words out of literal context. yet because I do not believe that there was really an adam or an eve...or that noah built an ark, I am wrong for not taking it literally. It makes me mad that people can't see what I mean. In other words. When something agrees with their religious views, then it can be taken literal. When it doesnt...thats because God meant for them to interpret. Im glad Christians know what God is thinking.....I sure don't.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
*Edit*

Originally posted by Tamahu
I'm pretty sure that Kabbalists wrote most of the Bible; so studying Kabbalah will help in understanding many of the interpretations.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
At the age of 7 I was called 'Spawn of the devil' for asking a question to which there was no answer (other than 'its a question of faith'). When I was told that the only answer I would get was 'because the Pope says so', I asked why he said it. Not a wise thing to do in a 1960's Catholic School. Its amazing I wasn't excommunicated !

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
At the age of 7 I was called 'Spawn of the devil' for asking a question to which there was no answer (other than 'its a question of faith'). When I was told that the only answer I would get was 'because the Pope says so', I asked why he said it. Not a wise thing to do in a 1960's Catholic School. Its amazing I wasn't excommunicated !

Dude no offense , but how many times are you going to say that same lame ass line. Come on thats got to be like the 4th time i have read that in the last 3 weeks. Seriously get over it, it was not the end of the world nor do they represent all of us.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by infovacume

Originally posted by Pisky

Dude no offense , but how many times are you going to say that same lame ass line. Come on thats got to be like the 4th time i have read that in the last 3 weeks. Seriously get over it, it was not the end of the world nor do they represent all of us.

I have a question Info, if pisky doesn't believe in God, will he go to hell?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
In my religion, if he does not believe Jesus, than yes. What is Hell I don't know, but it is without God and, tht is what is so painfull about it. Was I supposed to be scared to tell him. Are you scared to say hell doesn't exist. Secondly I don't know his situation I only know his syance he seems to take on many issues.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by infovacume
In my religion, if he does not believe Jesus, than yes. What is Hell I don't know, but it is without God and, tht is what is so painfull about it. Was I supposed to be scared to tell him. Are you scared to say hell doesn't exist. Secondly I don't know his situation I only know his syance he seems to take on many issues.

I thought that didnt refer to all of you?

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
What? I don't quite understand your question , than again it late for me, so please explain.

new topics

top topics

join