It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

let me show you the mad scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
frank zappa. for those that don't know, frank zappa was self tought and when he solo'd he hung his balls out there. he has more than 60 albums that he released in his lifetime and he self produced and edited them all. i will show you a couple videos now..

first, my favorite solo over....he kicks a groove in this hardcore. he is in the dorian scale. the best scale imo to solo in.

i can't imbed this for some reason but please watch it. he goes off. he has georg dude behind him on the eoectric piano. this groove is funky man.

www.youtube.com...
that is my favorite solo of all time. you see him doing dive bombs in 1974.

now this one i may have posted before but it is steve vai and frank zappa dueling it out. the song is called stevies spanking. you can see the difference how they work the fretboard, steve vai is up high in the neck working the same scale and frank is all over the fretboard.
check it out. it's a good duel

that vid owns..

this is watermelon in easter hay. it might take a sec to get used to it cause the time signature is 9/8. in my opinion it is probably the most beautiful guitar solo ever written. frank had cancer real bad when he played ths in 88 and was one of the last times he picked up the guitar.

i'm gonna post one or two of buckethead now. this one is called jordan. he wrote it for guitar hero and there is extensive use of the kill switch...the hammer ons and pull offs are sweet too

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm not into Frank Zappa. But I do like Buckethead. I love his work with Bernie Worrell, and Bootsy. His Halloween and Willa Wonka themes are great too.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
buckethead plays the halloween theme in this one too

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If I just pay attention to the music I can like some of Frank Zappa's music. Of course he's excellent at guitar. I'm just not into his lyrics.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
his lyrics are an aquired taste. see frank liked instrumentals and always said if people want to hear the human voice attached to music then he was going to sing about what he wanted to sing about and he did. he has some pretty comtroversial lyrics. he is unmatched as a composer though. definately the motzart of the 20th century

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Wasn't Zappa really into Edgard Varese?

Check it out here: Edgard Varese

Here's some stuff I just found: Zappa's Idol

He was one of the very first to use electronics in music. I think he composed some music at the Bell Labs using their equipment.

My classical guitar teacher told me to listen to Zappa years ago, I could admire what he did but never really listened to too much.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Electro38]

top topics

join