It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the word "God" mean to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
After watching an interview with Philip Corso Jr. speaking about his late father, he begins the interview by asking a question to his father. “What is the “image of God” and his dad’s response was “intellect.” I thought that was fascinating.

Since then, I have been asking myself this question. I don’t know why but I have always tried to answer this question. In reality, I know that it is a question that cannot be answered but it is still nice to think about. I personally believe that God is not a person and that it is found everywhere because that’s how life is made and works. I feel that God is the moment at which things become. For example, when an egg becomes a living organism after it has been fertilized or a seed that begins to sprout.

Please tell me what you think God means to you?

[edit on 30-12-2008 by Event Horizon]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
To me god means everything that is loving. To me God resides within everyone and everything. To me, my spirit is my connection to God. Just as everyone's spirit is their own connection to God or the Holy spirit. That's what God means to me. I guess in a way we both have the same view. Which in my opinion is the correct view. Anything physical be it a book or a symbol isn't a path to God because God is within each of us.

Take care and love each other.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Pure consciousness. The sum of all consciousness. The final/only observer of creation(s).

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well in the classical sense, God is the creator of the Universe, all knowing, and omnipresent, and all powerfull.

Knowledge is power and infinite knowledge would be infinite power. There are some who believe that the human race is the most advanced race of creatures in the Universe. I don't beleive that.

That having been said, there are two inventions that would make any race of creatures seem like gods.

The first one is immortality. What if you had an infinite lifespan? We are within a few decades of expanding the human lifespan to hundreds of years. Once that happens, our outlook on the Universe will change considerably.

Who knows? Once we perfect nanotech, we may be able to expand the human lifespan to thousands of years. Once we get to hundreds of thousands or millions of years, then the lifespan is virtually infinite.

The second invention that would make any race omnipresent, is time travel. We are not sure if it is possible to build a time machine...yet. Math and physics tells us though that it is theoretically possible to travel forward and backward in time.

These two things are all that separate the human race, or any other race, from becoming like God. It's only a matter of time before we achieve this. How much time? Well that is the question.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I have a real problem with the word "God" as most people seem to equate that word with a personal, physical being who created and rules over the entire universe....a supernatural entity to whom we are accountable, answerable and suboordinate yada yada...I do not for one minute believe in such a being. It is such a limited view !

I prefer to believe in "cosmic consciousness"...a natural, impersonal "force" for want of a better word, that permeates the entire universe . That energy that binds everything together...call it the life force, the creative force, whatever. We are part of that force, it runs through everything in the entire cosmos. We are it and it is us, there is no separation or division, all is connected. It is nature itself if you like and we are an extension of it, not something separate from it.

That, to me is "God", but I never use the word "God" normally, I prefer the term "cosmic consciousness" as mentioned previously.

I tend to describe myself as a "spiritual atheist".

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
God is not something or someone. God is more of an energy, an energy that is within all living things. We humans, living creatures, are also retainers. There're a lot, so many things in this world that try to make us blind to this, and this barrier is so ingrained in our super advanced culture and society (end sarcasm), that God cannot be perceived far beyond this understanding.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Gaia concept...the universe is all to me...so when the word God (big g) comes out I think of the collective

god (small g) is a male deity

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

join