It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sunspots and the galactic allignment??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i was wondering,does anyone think that the lack of sunspts has any connectionwith the galactic alignment.
according to wikipedia,galactic alignment refers to an alignment between the december solstice sun with the equater of our galixy,the milky way.The galactic equator is a reference that discribes 0 degrees longitude and 0 degrees latitude,and acts as a divisional line between the northen and southern hemisphers of the observed milky way. The alignment occurs as a result of the precession of the equnoxes. Precession is caused by the earth wobbling very slowly on its axis and shifts the position of the equinoxes and solstices one degree every 71.5 years.Because the sun is one and a half degree wide.It will take the december solstice sun36 years to process through the galactic equator.
the precise alignment of the solstice point (the precise center point of the body of the sun as viewed from the earth) with the galactic equator was calculated to occure in 1998 .
A sunspot is a region of the suns serface (photosphere) that is marked by intense magnatic activity which inhibits conversion forming areas of reduced surface tempritures.they can be visible from earth without the use of a telescope....
A minimum in the eleven year sunspot cycle happened during 2008, while the reverse polarity sunspot observed on 4th Jan..2008 may represent the start of cycle 24 the definition of a new sunspot cycle is when theaverage number of sunspots of the new magnetic polarity outnumbers that of the old cycles polarity.
Forcasts in 2006 predicted 24 to start between late 2007 and early 2008,but new estimates suggests a delay until 2009(as we seem to be getting a few more sunspots it seems hopefully it will be 2009)
It isnt just the lack of sunspots, it seems the solar winds are at an all time low,also the heliospere is shrinking and weakening then there is the breach in the earths magnic field ten times larger then previously thaught to exist.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Maybe one side of the sun has more sunspots then the other side and we're just on the other side..

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I pretty much stopped reading after you claimed sunspots were colder areas.

At least get the science straight

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

Based on what you have written, you do not quite realize how solar wind, sunspots, the heliosphere, and Earths magnetic field work and are connected. But that is fine, most people don't.

Short answer is no, they have nothing to do with each other at all. Those all all caused by a natural cycle the Sun goes through that just is not a precise "clock work" cycle, that's all. That is why they are scientific predictions. We took a guess, we got it wrong. Sun is showing activity it should be. Also means the "famous" 2012 prediction for solar maximum will need to be pushed back too...

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Thanks for your answer, as you observed i AM a complete novice on Sun Spots so i really appreciate your reply,i was getting a bit worried there thought we were heading for a mini ice age or worse....

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by illece

whether we are heading into an ice age or not I wouldn't get your self worked up over it. With all the doom and gloom out there your just going to stress yourself out more then you need to. Ice ages are part of the earth's natural cycle. When it is our time to go it doesn't matter how strong the solar winds are, how many sunspots the sun has, or how much the the polar caps are melting it will just be our time. Remember we are all born to die. Its part of a natural cycle that we all belong to no matter how much we wish to think we don't.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hILB3rT

very true,i have been following the Yellowstone earth quakes..not sure whether to run for the hills or not,but as you say we are all going to die sometime it is part of a natural cycle.But Hoping for a few more years yet!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I pretty much stopped reading after you claimed sunspots were colder areas.

At least get the science straight

what science are you referring to?

Sunspots are dark, planet-sized regions that appear on the "surface" of the Sun. Sunspots are "dark" because they are colder than the areas around them. A large sunspot might have a temperature of about 4,000 K (about 3,700° C or 6,700° F). This is much lower than the 5,800 K (about 5,500° C or 10,000° F) temperature of the bright photosphere that surrounds the sunspots.

link

[edit on 31-12-2008 by donhuangenaro]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
ah the Yellowstone thread. Its a good one but a little late. Scientist have know for years that she is gonna blow soon(and by soon I mean that in planetary time) . Actually if I remember right she is a few hundred years over due. If she explodes she will take out everything in between the two mountain ranges, and then the after math will take care of the rest of the US and most of Canada and Mexico. Not to mention what all that ash in the air is going to do to the rest of the world. I kind of hope that when she blows it happens fast enough that I wont realize what happened.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hILB3rT

doesn't sound to promising round that vicinity!hopefully quick with little time to worry to much.But doesn't sound all that thrilling for most of the world either.If it did happen is there supposed to be something similar to a nuclear winter?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I am by no means an expert in the subject, but from what I have researched I think that is exactly what will happen. That is if all the theories on the eruption and its magnitude are true.

I had some friends a few years back that were on there way back from Kuwait. They had to stop in Italy and the volcano their erupted. They said the sky was as dark as night during the middle of the day. There was so much ash on the ground that they had to help sweep the runway to get the planes moving. They also had to wear masks cause they couldn't breath through all the ash in the air. So going off what they told me of there experience I can only imagine what would happen if Yellowstone blew.

edit: I think were getting a little sidetracked from your OP =)

[edit on 31-12-2008 by hILB3rT]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow_Lord
reply to post by illece

Based on what you have written, you do not quite realize how solar wind, sunspots, the heliosphere, and Earths magnetic field work and are connected. But that is fine, most people don't.

Ok there is no need to be a boob about it. The above comment was insulting to the OP. Most of us do not know the ligistics behind the science but it is worth the question asked. I personally agree that is it just that a "scientific" guess but I also think that it is the calm before the storm as we should be reviving up for some goodies soon.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The two Big sunspots on 19,47 degrees, north and south side, are laying exactly in the opposite way of each other. Like a giant tunnel through the sun. It appears the 'matter" is sucked into it.

Cheers

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow_Lord

never got round to thanking you for your information i really do appreciate your answer,i genuinely did wonder if there was a connection and if there was anything to worry about in 2012.

new topics

top topics

join