It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY Caesarean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
A woman gave birth to a healthy baby boy after performing a Caesarean on herself with a kitchen knife.

It is thought to be the first known case of a self-inflicted Caesarean in which both the mother and baby survived.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It's difficult to know what to say about this except Holy Cow!!!

Remember that story of the guy who cut of his foot or hand because he was trapped.

Could you do something like this ????

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hi John!

Good find: as for your question about whether I could do something like cutting a hand or leg off if I was trapped, I suppose I'll never know unless I'm unfortunate enough to find myself in that situation ie I'd die if I didn't take such drastic action.
Certainly, at the moment, I'd be disinclined to do so!!

I am amazed, though, at the types of things people do to themselves. I think my "favourite" (ie least favourite, squirm-making) procedure is self-trepanning:

"Man dies after drilling head

A man has died after attempting to drill a hole in his head with a power tool.

The 42-year-old was found unconscious in a locked room by police who were called on Sunday to his home in Conway Street, Torquay.

He had a wound to his right temple and a power tool was found next to him."

More

Now, where did I put my Black&Decker....

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Genya]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

Could you do something like this ????

That would be a fat "negatory good buddy".

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
my skin crawled when I first heard the story..I cannot imagine cutting myself open with a kitchen knife and delivering my own kid
that # freaks me out.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I remember watching my ex-wife give birth to our daughter via caesarean....

Yuk ! I can't imagine doing it yourself.

So glad to hear that both are doing okay though !

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It's amazing what some people can endure! I watched a documentary style film a couple of nights ago called touching the void, a true story about a mountaineer who after badly breaking his leg and then falling into a crevass and being left for dead by his fellow climber managed to make his way back down and across a glacier and back to his base camp. It took him 4 days with no water and in excrusiating pain with his bones crunching against each other.
I suppose that there are 2 sorts of people. Those who will sit back and take what life throws at them or those who will take control against any odds. I guess you don't really know which you are until you are in that sort of situation.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Shes a tough woman. How did she know how deep to cut. ---Yeah, I heard on the news about a guy who had a boulder on his arm. The only option he had was to cut off his arm with a knife.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Genya,
Sounds like that person was trying to give himself a lobotomy!
haha, crazy stuff!

I can't say if I'd do something like that, I'm not in the situation. Sometimes you get really desperate....

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Just thinking of that made my eyes water. I complain enough when I cut my finger let alone doing a diy C-Section.
I canit even imagine what that must have been like.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Genya,
Sounds like that person was trying to give himself a lobotomy!
haha, crazy stuff!

Crazy indeed -

"The practice of trepanation is basically the drilling of a whole in the skull for a (any) specific purpose and is thought to date back to over five million years. Skulls have been found with precisely cut wholes that seem to be man made and based on the bone regeneration, it is assumed that these people survived the procedure. Around the turn of the century, over 10,000 skulls were found in Peru, 500 of which had been trepanned, 250 of which showed signs of bone regeneration."

Link herewith pictures (though nothing gory - just skulls with holes in them!!)

Now, where's my mallet and chisel...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Scary stuff for sure. Survival is built into our internal mechanisms which kick in when faced with life threatening avoidable death. I can only say i don't know what i'd do unless i was most unfortunately placed in the same type of predicament.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Sapphiire]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
my god, just thinking about it makes me feel light headed.
She certainly is courageous...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Genya,

Some of those are huge holes!
Thanks for the link, it's very interesting stuff.

I once read a book in which a man was seeking the elusive indigo, and if I recall correctly, in order to do so, trepanning had to be done to those who sought to see it. It was a strange book, I read it several years ago, so I don't remember all the details.

new topics

top topics

join