It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one that dislikes New Years Eve?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
This is probably my least favorite holiday of the year. I don't enjoy the parties. I don't enjoy the neighbors staying up until midnight and being loud. I don't enjoy the fact that another year has passed. I don't enjoy the increased police presence.

Am I alone on this one?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
No you're not alone. The clock made another revolution and now you have to get a new calender. So friggin' what! It is one more made up reason for people to act like the primitive animals so many claim not to be. The holidays are also huge revenue boosters for police departments with all the added misc. traffic busts, fines, court fees, etc.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

When ya put it like that then yea, course you're going to be down.

I avoid all that bs by going out wit my mates to someones farm (with permission of course) and celebrating in front of a bonfire. great fun.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   

I'd have to say that I agree with you Karlhungis. New Years Eve is far from being my favorite holiday either. Frankly, I don't enjoy it very much at all -- holiday or not.

It's not that I don't enjoy parties. I do. The thing is that I simply do not enjoy parties whose focus seem to be that of simply "getting drunk", acting rowdy and to incur increased taxpayer costs due to the increased police activities necessary to foster some semblance of order.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I dont like the new years day at all, on new years eve, I sleep at nine o clock itself, and though my friends had invited me for a party, I never went, to be true, I have never went out with a friend to a party at all. And I am very happy about that, though my friends call me an idiot.

All is based on the way you observe things, remember, the world is big and there are persons like you and more opportunities than you can imagine.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I don't mind it at all. I don't go out and party so I'm not with that crowd. I usually don't even stay up til midnight so I'm not with that crowd either. It's awesome to know I lived another year and to look back on that year and learn from it. This January 1st 2009 will begin another blank canvas and If I will it, I can make it my masterpiece in life. New Years Eve doesn't bother me and if people want to party all night and feel bad the next morning then it's their life not mine. I'll be fresh and ready for the start of a knew year and I really feel for those who didn't make it because of crime, accidental death or whatever the reason. I'm here and I'm gonna make this New Year a challenge like none before.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Can't agree with you on this one.

December 31 is my birthday!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Your not alone, the police are back and forth in call-outs in my area and the fireworks start usually at 8pm and finish at 3 or 4 in the morning. :shk:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Happy birthday, NYK!

I don't necessarily dislike it but there is something eerie about it that I can't put my finger on. Down here in South Texas, the weather on New Year's Eve is almost always humid and muggy, extremely foggy, not really cold but there is an uncomfortable chill in the air, and there is something about being out late at night (to make it to the midnight countdown) in this type of weather that is really melancholy to me. Everything seems 'still' but busy and really dark. It's hard to explain. Definitely not my favorite holiday although I don't remember ever not celebrating it in some way.

Maybe it has something to do with Christmas being over which often has a sad feeling to it. Then thinking about how another year is over. Compounded by the weather. Can't pinpoint it exactly but it just gives me an eerie vibe.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
No, you're not alone. Even when I was little, I never had any affiliation with New Year's Eve. Don't know why, it just leaves me cold.

I usually go to bed before midnight, and am woken up by ruddy fireworks going off in the village. The cat then goes bonkers, so I have to calm her down, and end up getting back to bed about 1.00am. It drives me nuts.

It's another turn in the Earth's cycle. I don't quite get all the excitement about it to be honest. All this 'oh next year's going to be better' thing. It's just another day, isn't it?

I really am with you on this one, but do feel like a miserable so and so around my friends who seem to feel the need to celebrate it with great passion. Obviously, the Scottish part of my ancestry failed to genetically pass on the whole spirit of the occasion. Ah well.

Despite my apathetic feelings, I still wish you all here a very Happy New Year.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My cousin and I were talking about how it is over rated.

Though I had a few good times when I was younger. But it seemed when everyone got hitched, the fun ended.
lol

I was offered a babysitter tonight and I feel obligated to go out. But decided that we would rather sleep instead.

We set off a few fireworks normally and go to bed.

I don't think it should be totally ignored. i like followign the tradition of making pork and sourkraut.
OUr lives are ruled by the calendar, so it should be celebrated when the calender changes in some way.
Like Einstein claimed, space and time are the same. And I think it should be aknowledged somehow. But it doens't have to be a big ol party at 12.

But I think it mainly bothers me that some people can find fun at 12. But I am too tired and weary to do so.

Maybe I am just jealous.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Not alone mate.

I'm so glad I don't have neigbours, so glad I can't hear the parties etc, etc.....

Just another excuse for people to divorce themselves from reality and pretend that anything bad is going to get better and everything good is going to continue.

No wonder people feel the need for New Years Resolutions!

It's just time....tick, tock. Just days, dates and numbers.

So not just happy new year, but happy every year, all year, to everyone.

Humbug to Xmas too. Stupid cash-fest!

Just me and my 3 cats, that's all I need to feel good right now.

Cheers, and let's hope they get it over with soon.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Foggy here among the vinyards of France too. But chilly.

Shame...there were some really good planets to see in the sky tonite.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Yeah, i'm another one who doesn't get the whole New Years celebration thing. I never understood why 31st December evening, everyone loves each other, even strangers kissing each other on the cheeks and all that....then as soon as January 1st comes...it's back to being the same.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is one of the biggest payday/nites for me and the band of the whole year. We love it!

I just wish that you folks that don't like NYeve could we with us so we could buy you a Corona and Rock your brains out.

I've already got a pretty good jump on the festivities and it's only 3:00 and we start at 7:00. I better pace myself.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I always feel kind of sad on NewYears. I dont know why but I usally cry at midnight.

join