It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sensationalist threads that trump real research...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Bit of a disclaimer to start with: No, I'm not just having a cry because my threads are being ignored. It is to do with the style of threads they are being ignored for.

So holiday season hits, and I think to myself, why not spend some time compiling a few interesting, factual threads for my ATS friends. Being the ever vigilant UFO reporter that he is, Internos inspired me to try a similar style with the paranormal forum.

So I go digging through all my books on the subject and pick out my first topic. I spent around 3 or 4 hours compiling websites to verify the information in my book is correct, and then go about writing the article.

I make sure to focus on facts as well as the story behind the legend. The story in question, Fisher's ghost, is in my opinion, one of the best documented cases in (at least Australia's) history. There is reports by a priest, judge, witnesses. Hell, for being over 100 years ago, there is even quotes.

I sourced all my information and made sure I didn't miss anything. The post, which took me a good half a day to construct, got 3 replies.

Around the same time, a thread is made that discusses 'invisible beings that aren't really there'... nothing in the way of proof, just a 'help me deal with bla bla bla' story. (No offense to the author, it isn't your fault I'm mad).

It receives 17 replies.

A little disheartened, I posted in my first topic asking for any ideas to make a better thread about a similar topic. No replies.

Regardless, I spent the first half of today undergoing a similar research task and managed to come up with another (in my opinion) informative, factual and interesting thread. This time about what is possibly the world's most haunted house and the reasons behind how it came to be.

0 replies, and threads all around it about dreams, shadow people and higher selves are flourishing.

As I said at the start, I'm not particularly mad that my threads are being ignored, It just astonishes me that ATS can be so focused on unsubstantiated, mostly here-say topics, when there is real, provable paranormal events to discuss and explore.

Maybe I'm a bit past my time. When I joined ATS 3 years ago, it was the research and proof in a topic that made it worth something and attracted an audience. Now it seems that the more wild the claim, the less information it holds, the more popular the topic becomes.

Where have the ATS intellectuals gone?

If you are wondering about the topics I researched that I, personally, think are worth a read, then here they are:
Fisher's Ghost
Monte Cristo

I'll probably keep churning out summaries as the weeks go on. I learn something, and I've got nothing better to do. If you read them, enjoy and please comment!

[edit on 30-12-2008 by fooffstarr]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Brother it happens to all of us all the time.

A lot of well researched threads get very little action because the require time and effort to come up with intelligent and well thought out responses.

It used to get me down until I realized that responses are out of my control. This is not to say by any stretch of the imagination that all of my threads are of this nature, but for the ones that are I have just learned to let it go and to not take it personally. I'll do the work and if it doesn't take it doesn't take. Truth is that people are free to chose and I at least can't judge them for it as there are times that the last thing I need in that moment is serious or academic thought.

But sometimes it does take, and those are the best threads to be a part of.

[edit on 12/30/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I would think that you could get more responses if try to make your titles more provocative.

Instead of "History's Famous Ghosts #2 - The Many Ghosts of Monte Cristo"
I would suggest using the "most haunted building in Australia" somewhere in your title. Ghost / UFO threads rarely attract my attention but I would be more likely to read a thread about "The Most Haunted building in Australia" than I would about the "Many Ghosts of Monte Cristo." Even though they are one in the same, I would be more drawn to the first.

Or you could get cheap and go with the !!!!*****ALL CAPS LOCK AND LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***!!
Which sadly seems to work for a lot of people.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Why not put something like that (your story) into the TinWiki website instead?

TinWiki is there for all internet users, not just ATS members, and over time, you would inform far more people about this event/story.

Or just accept that not everyone is interested or believes enough to shower you with stars, flags and endless comments.

What is important to an individual is not always important to everyone else.

I started a thread once that got "applauded" by the forum moderator but recieved Zero replies! I gave up starting threads for some months but I'm still here....replying to things like this, and back posting new topics too.

Don't worry my friend, it's not a race or a show. And if it ain't fun, don't do it!

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, no caps for me.

I did go out on a limb and change 'monte cristo's many ghosts' to 'Australia's most haunted house'. Thanks for the idea.

Also gave me an excuse to shamelessly plug my first thread as well in the second one

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Hey, Foof. I just checked out your threads. It's obvious they are very well researched and you spent a great deal of time and effort into creating those threads. Excellent work.

Just a suggestion since you mention above you were interested in continuing your research. Have you considered applying to the research forum? It would give you a platform to present all of your paranormal research. The only possible drawback for you (since you seem to appreciate replies to your threads) is that 'the ATS public' is not allowed to reply and even other scholars have to ask for your permission before joining your thread.

If you enjoy receiving replies and feedback it might not be for you but at least you won't be disappointed if they get few replies because you'll know in advance it's impossible for others to reply.

The above is only a humble suggestion. I can certainly understand how the above would be frustrating for you. There are quite a few very well researched threads that approach a topic with civility. Those threads often never make it past the first page. Then you'll see obvious hoaxes, bait threads, and people picking fights in their whole 2 sentence OP and the thread blows up to 20 pages. Then of course the inevitable 'WHA! ATS is going downhill' complaints start because people insist on feeding trolls while ignoring the well put together threads. It can be pretty frustrating.

Your threads definitely deserve some kudos. Very well done and well researched.

top topics

join