It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If something massive (e.g. the moon) were about to hit the earth, would it make a sound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
No this isnt a simple "if the moon hits the earth and we all die, will it make a sound" riddle,

Im actually asking, if something super-massive e.g. the moon or a super-massive asteroid were about to hit the earth e.g. had just broken through our atmosphere, Would we be hearing a massive firey sounding roar, or would it still just sound like normal day?

If i havent explained myself clearly enough, please ask me to ellaborate

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
You would hear something (probably a roar or some such) for about .002 seconds. You gotta remember how fast these things are traveling.

If you were close enough to hear it, by the time you DID hear it, you'd already be vaporized by the heat.

If you were far enough out from the blast zone, you might hear the echo, but probably not.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
im thinking it is like a bullet. if you are killed by a sniper you will never hear the bullet. if you happen to survive, you will hear the gunshot about 1 to 2 seconds later depending on distance

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think it's possible, providing you were within earshot.

The Tunguska event was heard several hundred miles away from the impact area.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth

e.g. had just broken through our atmosphere,

Don't really know about hearing it , thou I suppose yes but if something would go through our atmosphere you would definitely see it as a giant fireball . Well for a moment at least (before the hit)

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
You wouldn't hear it until it entered our atmosphere and if it was that large and moving at incredible speeds (as I imagine it would be) you would only hear something for a split second till it hit and wiped out everything.

You simply wouldn't hear it coming towards Earth because of space's vacuum. Same reason you can't hear anything in space.

Good question though, I never really thought about it unitl you asked.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
If it's coming in at supersonic speed and massive enough to not burn away to nothing at high altitude there will be an incredibly large sonic boom as it penetrates the atmosphere. The flames produced by friction as it burns up would produce a load roar as it approached the ground and people close to the impact area of large meteorites usually are first aware of it coming when they hear that sound.

The Tungunska object is theorised to have exploded before reaching the ground as evidenced by the damage pattern on the ground (the radiating circle of felled trees around ground zero). It was seen, heard and felt over 1000 miles away.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Its possible you would hear something, roar or some other kind of rumbling type noise. If a celestial body of that magnitude were incomming, it would certianly have an effect on the gravity and cause weather changes, winds, storms, you name it as it gets closer.

Celestial mechanics is alot of fun to work with. So unless it is traveling super fast that is like the speed of light, that would be the only time you wouldnt hear a thing, or see anything, or feel anything.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

True if the object incomming were small, but I think the object that the OP suggests is alot larger, moon size. And as I pointed out, an object of moon size comming in at speeds slower than light, there would be gravitic effects on the Earth and that would cause alot of noise in itself!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Providing you were close, you'd die before you heard it. Speed of sound is slow comparatively.

If you were just outside the danger zone, I think you would hear something loud and nasty.

top topics

join