It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstate Fences?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

That is a matter of public information. You can find out at your local CourtHouse.
2nd line.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

All of the bickering aside, the simple fact of the matter is that it IS ILLEGAL to walk along an Interstate. They cannot block the road itself, so yeah, you COULD just walk down the on-ramp, but they will do the best they can to deter people from walking along it.
That is, of course, depending on local-specific ordinances. Thankfully, here in the Ozark Mountains, I don't live in a ghetto and we have laws against eye-polluting sights such as constantina wire along roadways or billboards promoting businesses.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Since we're stating the obvious, everyone knows there is a right-of-way down major highways and interstates and, as far back as I can remember, there has always been a fence - of some sort - along the interstate in various places, if not all of it.

The point is there's no going through, over or around this fence easily. It has been upgraded over the past few years from your average rural pasture fence to a pretty secure and sturdy one. My family has a farm, so I know about deer proof fencing. From my observations, particularly at the exits, this fence is not for deer - it's for people.

I'm sorry, but there just aren't that many yahoos walking down the interstate that would warrant such a fence. And again, during normal circumstances, a person could just go around the fence at the exit or entrance ramp so that renders the fence useless for keeping out your average vagrant, hitch-hiker or criminal. However, if there is a police or military barricade, no average citizen would be getting on or off the interstate without heavy duty wire cutters.

[edit on 29/12/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

And I'm sure that is probably a part of the equation.
However, the point I tried to make earlier would be that you would be better served looking for information on the contract at your local court house, rather than fear-mongering on the net.

If you turn up nothing at the court house, get back to me.
I've seen coyote farms around here that have similar fencing. Check and see who owns the land. If you can't find out who owns all of it, check into government contracts along the corridor in question. We'll go from there.

To answer another of your questions, YES, I probably CAN help you find out what it is for, as it is my business.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
One thing to keep in mind, though. During the case of a man-hunt near the interstate, the Police are going to do the obvious thing to cordon off the exits to said interstate. This means that nobody is going to walk down the on-ramp. The fence would be better built in these areas to keep the perp from slipping past the cops and onto the on-ramp...

Eh, if you see a conspiracy in this, then I guess I'm done here. Simple fact is, the interstates aren't used as processing units. They are transportation units. Too large an area to create any sort of funnel. The fences are to keep people and animals off of the highway, not people on it.
Think about it this way, if SHTF, the shear amount of people "herded" onto the interstate would simply tear the fences apart or overrun the police on the ramps.
Too much area for the cops to cover in force. If people saw one ramp with five cops, they would just move to the next one, and so on and so on.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Really, it could be anything from the governor's cousin who is a fencing contractor getting some pork to some Homeland Security paranoia. The funny part is, it takes a $15 pair of bolt cutters and a few minutes to make a hole the size of a car in a chain link fence.

Highways are always being "upgraded" with all sorts of features. Whole roads are built for the sole benefit of highway contractors who make fat campaign contributions.

Anyway, I like it that when we all drive 80 on the Interstate at night with our low beams on because of all the traffic, there are very few stray critters on the road. Ever hit a deer? Makes a hell of a mess.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Think about it this way, if SHTF, the shear amount of people "herded" onto the interstate would simply tear the fences apart or overrun the police on the ramps.

That's an excellent point.

However, during hurricane contra-flow, often it's the National Guard in control not just the police. If there was an evacuation, let's say due to pandemic flu, I would presume they would be in charge as well only then they would be limiting people's ability to leave an area. So people might not necessarily be kept on the interstate but off of it.

Oops! I'm sorry. I'm fear-mongering again. Sometimes I forget, especially in Skunk Works.

[edit on 29/12/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   

"But then why are the exits so reinforced? People concern themselves with exits, not animals"

I think we all know the answers to your questions...

One day those fences will have signs on them;

"Warning: Electrified Fence, 120 000 volts"

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I notice this as well and wondered only briefly about it, but it did catch my attention when I saw it.
I jumped on I-85 going North from Sugarloaf Pkwy exit, and noticed it once I veered onto I-985. I think it was only about 4 feet high, the wire was certainly heavy duty, and looked like it could stop a car going 100mph easily

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It makes me think of the Gulf Hurricanes, how the roadways were so jammed and the only way to get out was to blaze trail. However, with all the conspiracy sites advocating side routes, they just wised up prior to what ever they already know ids going to happen. So be sure to carry heavy gloves and sturdy wire cutters in your bug out bag...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just Google Earthed all of the Interstates you mentioned, but I didn't see any fence. I know that Google Earth is not aways up to date though. I am going to FL on Sunday. I will be literally 10 minutes from I75, so I will try to get some pics if the fence. Was it more toward that Fl GA border that you seen it, or all along 75?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

The fence is uniform throughout the Southeast but it varies in height occasionally as well as distance off the road.

Obviously a right-of-way fence is understandable and a deer-proof fence is as well, but the reinforced exit/entrance fencing is strange. This type of fencing was primarily on the Interstate 75 corridor ( GA and FL) and the Interstate 85 corridor (GA).

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Okay, I will see what kind of pictures I can get. It might be a week or two before I can get them up, but I will try to get them posted ASAP. I'm curious to see what these fences look like. Thanks for the info!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Muundoggie

President George W. Bush came to Jacksonville, Florida about a year ago. Visited Blount Island which had just expanded military operations. I got to see the motorcade. LOCAL cops shut down the interstate. (I-95) from JIA to 9A to Blount Island. What impressed me was the fact that they could shut down the entire interstate system so quickly. And these were just local cops barring entrances/exits. Imagine what the military could do.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
there are also cases in which walls are being erected for the alledged purpose of noise reduction.

these easily block the view, whcih means you wouldn't know what's going on there. neither would cattle be able to peek out - or easily escape from armed guards.

barbed wire is obvious, many alledged architectural fetures are not, even though they're probably just as effective.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Here in Indy, they have been putting up *walls* not fences around 465. This is the interstate that circles the circle city. This divides the city from the 'burbs. It's always given me the creeps, for my 40 years in this city there wasn't even so much as a fence in these areas and now a wall? It's on each side of the interstate, inner and outer.

I haven't noticed this happening on I-65 or I-70.

Now, if I can just figure out if they are trying to keep me in or trying to keep those stuck on interstates out of the cities. Hopefully, I'll be long gone out to the country to have find out the answer to that.

If this was just a matter of getting transportation funds, why not improve the roads? They are seriously fraked up and need some attention.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
or the rumor of negating exits to smaller towns. just an expressway going right by with no way on or off. have to travel to the next major city to get an on ramp

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Are there houses backing onto this road where the walls are being built?

if so, the walls are for deflecting the traffic noises away from the houses.

You could imagine how noisy it would get with a busy highway at your back door.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Hate to say it but we went down 85 to Montgomery last month, and there were NO fences being put up, no razor wire or anything. The ONLY fences that were there were the old rusty animal fences. We didn't see any evidence of any new fences except around West Point where the new Kia plant went up.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

In some instances you have to look a bit deeper into the woods. Also sometimes you can see the old fence as well as the new fence. I'm heading south in a month or so and I will take what pictures I can to post.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join