It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
i am curious,

please be as honest as possible

What is the very foundations the US was born on
and what do those foundations stand for in your Views?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
freedom. plain and simple.
we have been trying it on in every way we can think of.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I'm going to have to say freedom too.

To me, freedom allows a person to do whatever they want as long as it does no harm to anyone else. We screw up our own freedoms quite a bit, but I still think it is the foundation that allowed this nation to grow.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Well, freedom is correct. More specifically though, one of the main concerns was freedom of religion.

Whether or not we still stand for freedoms is debatable, but the fact we were founded on them is not.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

NYK beat me to it. What is pretty apparent is the effort to get away from the state mandated religious establishments and the sovereign arm of European monarchies. The American forefathers sought to establish the freedom of religion as a matter of private liberty instead of a matter regulated by the state as well as a government and judicial system comprised of citizens instead of monarchies and elitist rulers. Ultimately they sought freedom in religious and government systems. You have to understand the situation going on in Europe before and during the early years of building and forming the United States to fully grasp why those issues were so important.

The above is the cliff notes version, of course.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
What is the very foundations the US was born on
and what do those foundations stand for in your Views?

Let me add this video to add what I have to say..

the foundations that the US was born on is murder, stealing and lies!
While I am happy to live here.. There is much history about the USA we are not taught!! So much is hidden from us, that I can not make any easy answer..
Washington worked for the queen of england, and all this is going to plan.
I belive the USA stands for a new form of slavery!!

Being an American, I am truely lucky.. theres places far worse than here.. But overall we are lied to and told things that are simply not true.

Are we really free here? Hmmmm

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Money.

The Boston Tea Party is a commonly misunderstood period in our countries evolution. The British wanted their tea products to be competable in the colonies. Since it was cheaper for the Colonists to grow tea and sell it here, even with taxes, then British tea, the British eliminated the taxes on their tea while keeping the taxes on American teas (taxes which went to the British nation and didn't necessarily get fed back into the Colonial society).

So while freedom is essentially the answer, I have to go with money and the freedoms alloted with the colonies making more money and being able to sustain/grow their own society rather than support an essentially non participating national entity from across the world.

It's always about money.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I always believed that the ideal of the United States was freedom. But not simply constitutional freedoms guaranteed. Rather the freedom to live a life as one sees fit, openly and honestly and without fear. That can be about money, religion, speech, sexual orientation, or whatever one wants.

The important question to me is what has been lost of that ideal. I believe that to be the sense of responsibility to support the freedoms of others even if only by leaving them be as they wish. Which is to say, let them live their life as long as they don't impinge on yours. And by impinging I don't mean the supposed impingement of observing in a passive fashion what they believe, how they live, or what they do. That's an issue that has always plagued society, no matter the political system. No, it's about realizing that while it may at times be uncomfortable or conflicting with what we believe, that we should at least bear them when they aren't directly conflicting with our rights and freedoms.

new topics

top topics

join