It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80's cartoons - did they have/leave an impact on YOU??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

They could never do it Justice - do like i did and watched the originals, you can get the full series - worth it.

However if Square Enix (the makers of final fantasy) teamed up to mak it then you got quite a film.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

I will be buying it on DVD soon. (the series)

You can watch some HERE.... good quality but not as the dvd

[edit on 29/12/08 by blupblup]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I was not into the younger slap stick type of cartoon genre.
I liked the slightly more sophisticated ones.

Robotech owned!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
there was a weird cartoon about the human body which i used to like, weird stuff. i can't remember what it was called. there was also the smurfing smurfs. they just replaced every swear word with smurf, funny as smurf.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Robotech was awesome!!!
Well remembered.

Also, the original Voltron!!! "defender of the universe...

so ahead of it's time!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Well being Japanese pretty much says it all.
But what I liked outside some of the action was it's realism where some of the stars would die and not come back.

made one think about consiquences

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I think i know the one you mean. There were people or people like beings that lived inside us, like we were there world - could that be the one?

[edit on 29-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Any one remember Centurions.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5168yjG3Qw

I think the US army are now developing exo suites that allow soldiers to carry more faster..do a search for US army exo suits and see what turns up.
Just something else to think about.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Arhh - the intro lifts me every single time i watch it - Thankyou yet again ;o)

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

yeah, thats right, all the different cells were little people, not an exciting cartoon but really strange.

i was a rather odd child apparently, i never really liked the manga stuff all that much. danger-mouse is about as exciting as i got.

EDIT:found it, boobs in the intro, no wonder i was hooked in

[edit on 29/12/08 by pieman]

[edit on 29/12/08 by pieman]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

ha ha.... thought you may like that!!

It is the 16th century From all over Europe Great ships sail west To conquer the New World, the Americas. The men eager to seek their fortune, To find new adventures in new lands. They long to cross uncharted seas And discover unknown countries. To find secret god on a mountain trail High in the Andes. They dream of following the path That leads to El Dorado, and The mysterious cities of gold!!

Source

Apparently it came out in the UK in june (on boxset) but isn't out in the US til next year sometime!!

[edit on 29/12/08 by blupblup]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironjello
one thing I found odd about cartoons in the 80s since i was born in 1976 is the amount of racism involved in the wb cartoons. just one example is Buggs Bunny using "cotton pickin" all the time. One wb cartoon that I do think about a lot is the cartoon documentaries like under the see where dog fish barked and hammer head sharks pounded nails with their heads.... Oh and then their is G.I. Joe... loved it. What about M.A.S.K anyone remember that cartoon...

Yup I remember MASK...HA... thats old school.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hell yea...i watched cartoons when i was kid even thou i am a 90s baby.

There are a few cartoons that trumped them all. GI JOE, Transformers, Gobots, In-humanoids, Bionic Six, Thunder Cats all that jazz.

But what's really funny are the commericals. Go watch some commericals for old toys for boys..there were violent to say the least and wouldn't be shown today.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

centurions was cool too!!

Another space/weapons based cartoon!!

Ace mcleod... daring air operations expert!!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Once upon a time ....life:

www.procidis.com...

u beat me to the vid,

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
What about Skeletor? Come on people!!! He-Man was just friggin' creepy.

Seriously though... the best show of the 80's was Star Blazers. Yeah, it was Japanese and dubbed... But they actually blew crap up and people actually (implied) died. Not at all like GI Joe, where Cobra Commander or Destro always jumped out of the exploding vehicle at the last second.

www.youtube.com...

You want to talk about cool theme songs?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Thanks for the link to your thread but i'm feeling its starting to get a bit off topic to my OP and would like people to comment on what impact their favourite cartoons had o them. MCOG and Ullysses left me seeking knowledge and believing more in my own thoughts.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It's not my thread.
But whatever.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Sorry, i didn't mean to come across narky, sharing your favourites is great but i ALSO want to know how they affected you and if they were a contribution to who or where you are now? Did you feel looking back, they were trying to tell us something or to look a little deeper.

The most violent cartoon i watched in the 80's (from late 70's) Watership Down which now i feel has propaganda to it (i have a thread in RATS on this for anyone interested and has the subscription). Wonder how many of you watched that one??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join