It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS – GDC Gym and Diet Club

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Congrats on the move towards self improvement.

Xmas is done and there's probably a few tempting treats left lying around,I'm guessing.

Step one.Package them up and give them away.

Those tins of quality street,mince pies and cheesy biscuits have been responsible for regaining a lb or two here.

Fortunately part two of my routine started today after a couple of weeks out.
Gym closed over xmas(after a two week refit) blummin inconsiderate blighters.:bash:

But fret ye not,a couple of dumbells left lying around at home can be your salvation.

Keep up with the aerobic workouts for 'fitness' but tailor it around a weight training routine for body reshaping.

You HAVE to adapt to a consistent meal regime for fast results.

Try a 40% protein plan for each meal.It will leave you fuller for longer too.
Eat every 3 hrs,you will never snack in between..coz there isn't any 'in between' meals.

eg 2000 cals

8.am 400 cals small cereal,fruit,egg whites,water
11am 400 cals Wholemeal chicken salad sandwich,water
2pm 400 cals Oily fish,veggies,plain yoghurt,water
5pm 400 cals steak,veggies,fruit,water
8pm 400 cals chicken,pitta bread,water

Spot the pattern?
NO BIG MEALS!!!! The most important bit.

I SERIOUSLY recommend a protein supplement..WHY?

Because to get in the right amount of protein for your lean muscle mass will leave you struggling to eat ENOUGH.
Believe me. I just did it and I was hitting my head off the floor at the thought of the last serving of the day.
:bnghd:

Revised eg,

8am Cereal,fruit,eggwhite omelette,water
11am protein shake.
2pm Salmon,nuts,salad fruit.
5pm protein shake
8pm Chicken,veggies,water

DEFINITELY more manageable.
Portion size of protein about the size of your palm.

You can only take in so many calories at a sitting before it get sent to the storage containers tactically placed around the noticeable bits around your person.

Don't drop more than 15-20% from your daily intake.It will just slow your metabolism to adjust to lower energy intake,leaving you lethargic and reduce fat-burning further.

CONSISTENCY is the key word here.
You have to retrain the body to convince it that there is a constant supply of energy,so there is no need to store fat for 'later'.

A few light sessions on your dumbells will kickstart your metabolism.

As Karl mentioned... SQUATS!!!

I always hated these.why? because they're hard,but they're perfect because they exercise the largest muscles in your body..Your arse.

Try starting with your back against a wall and go down as far as you feel comfortable at first.Your target is to get your thighs parallel with the floor.

Just do 20 every time you get up to do something,prepare your meal,go to the lav.etc

I avoided them coz I thought they'd make my bum look big
TOTALLY the opposite.

I just threw away the last of my jeans bought after my 'mishap' and now I'm even back into pants I haven't worn for over 5 years.

Target is that pair of 32" surf shorts I pinned to the fridge 15 years ago to encourage the last serious health drive.

I can get into them,they just look like an overstuffed haggis though.

Best of luck to anyone else on a push too.

Let's make it a team effort.

[edit on 1-1-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well, good news and a temporary setback. On the 1st (last night) I attended a once a year feed that a couple of my friends throw. One good thing though is that I didn't go hog wild. Just one plate.

In other news the Treadmill is operational. Just took a new power cord and removal of a prong from the old one out from the socket. I also managed to with a little lithium grease got an exercise bicycle operational.

I figure on taking it easy at first and basically doing several minutes on the treadmill walking and some on the Bike to see how things go. One thing that we don't have here (and won't for a couple of days) is a weigh scale. I'll see about picking one up asap.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
----------------------THE UNION SUPPORTS THIS GYM -------------------------------

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

welcome agent_t

there is no chocolate left in my house, so far
i am happy about that!

since i was too lazy to go down to the gym - the son.s plans had been chancled by his dad, i did a long long walk
i walked for over an hour through a nearby forest, which was quiet lovely, since we got some snow last night!

for the food:
i hadn.t had breakfast this morning

no real time and no appetit.
therefore i stared eating right after my walk
a bowl of maccaroni with tomatoesauce, a sprinkle of cheese and 3 veggie meatballs.

agent_t i am a bit puzzled by the meat and fish!
they got a certain amount of calories too, and i don.t want them in my diet!
so what do you recomend instead?

nice plan for the omnivores!

thanks for the advice with the protein shake.
did you try it by yourself? and did it really work?

i would love us all to work together!
to report about the progress or about the stuff that prevent you and me to make progress!

reply to post by Deson

i guess one time or the other it is ok to be on a party or dinner
i am invited on the 11th for my still SIL 50ths birthday. noway i will count some calories at that dinner

it is hard enough to get vegetarian food with her, and than counting
nope

good to hear about the Treadmill.

for the weight scale: i am not so sure about it

i got one -unfortunately
usually i am watching my jeans. when they start to seem to shrink means don.t fit comfortable anymore it is time to start losing weight
i wouldn.t need a scale since the gym got one!

as far as i know muscles are much heavier than fat!
so you could get much more slender and gaining a little bit of weight

reply to post by q_ball

thanks q_ball!
great to know!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

Don't skip breakfast. Your body needs that meal more than any other meal throughout the day. You have been essentially fasting for the last 8 hours or so, so skipping it can tell your body that it needs to slow down the metabolism because it isn't sure when it will get more food.

Again.... Don't skip breakfast.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

i know karl!
usually i don.t do that!
i am not a friend of skipping any meal, and i love my breakfast!
today … don.t know why … it just happend!

and than there was the point i wasn.t even hungry anymore
very strange!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Yeah I'm on a protein supplement routine for two of the five portions a day.

I don't know the extent of your vegetarianism 'diet-wise' but you can replace anything with soya protein anyway.

I use a bend of whey and soya proteins,as well as meat based from meals.

The plan is

1(ish) gram of protein for every lb of LEAN MUSCLE MASS.

You can pretty much guess this if you don't want to be super-scientific or get a Body Fat test done.

Guess 15- 20%body fat for your goal, add 5% for every dress size you are over.

Deduct your total guesstimate % from your actual weight to give a lean mass reading.

EG

'Girl X' is 160lbs and reckons shes 2 dress sizes too much. add 10% to her 20% goal = 30% bodyfat.She wants to lose 16lbs.

160lb - 30% = 112 lbs of 'lean mass' ...
SO... eat 112grams of protein a day.

This is your main target and will ensure that you don't lose muscle.
Muscle is good because it burns calories just to keep it there.

If her normal intake is 2000 cals a day,reducing by no more than 15%( as any more will just stall her metabolism)

Doing it like this will GUARANTEE weight loss. honest.
She will achieve it in 192 days just by this method alone.

You will lose 1lb of FAT every 11-12 days. (1lb = 3500 calories)
Yes there's ways to lose more weight.. but NOT more fat by DIET ALONE,and that's what you want to target.

Protein and fibre will keep you fuller for longer,you are eating every 3 hrs so you won't get hungry anyway, probably the opposite actually.

But PLEASE make sure it's 'good food' however you do it.

McTucky King's 'healthy'
.. options are anything but.
Soaked in preservatives to give a longer shelf life and will poison your system.

Forgetting the extra weight even, I've NEVER felt better than when I quit processed food.

Brain and metabolic functions are better,I don't get sick,I annoy people because I've got loads more energy.

BTW the 20% target is a reasonable one.Giving you enough body fat to look feminine and slimmer,but still giving you energy reserves to have an active day.

Any less than that is a personal choice and the realms of Hollywood Sex symbols. (12% for guys).

It's not realistically maintainable year round unless you have loads of free time or intend to enter fitness competitions.

Yeah Ryan Reynolds looked great in 'Blade Trinity' Sly was Ripped in Rocky 3. but the extremes they had to go to was impressive to say the least.

At 3-5% Body fat levels,they just didn't have enough energy reserves for a 'real' days work.

Stories abound of Stallone not even being able to keep his head up in between takes.
All those fitness mags are photoshopped,nipped and tucked, and a pre photoshoot 'cutting period' was usually undertaken.6 weeks extreme regimes.

Ie carb depletion/dehydration etc.

(That's why Frank Bruno always got his ass kicked in the later rounds when 'chunkier' guys had loads more energy left.)

Or it could be just my own excuse not to do it lol woohoo!!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Being as I'm slim, always have been and can eat like a horse....

can I just watch...

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yep, I fit the bill, ate everything I was not supposed to for the last 3 weeks Lactose/glucose/wheat germ arena. Gained about 4 sizes.

My advice to anyone. Go for that stupid walk around the block. I know. It is SO hard.

Body doesn't know what else to do when the blood is not practiced flowing.

--that sounds so Firefly.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
How's everyone's progress going?

Totally killed off the extra 2lb's gained from xmas sweeties.

I guess the ones you put on fast can be lost fast too because normally 2lb's would take much longer than a few days.

Maybe I just didn't give them time to grab on to something solid

EDIT
www.bmi-calculator.net...
Thought I'd add this for anyone wanting to guesstimate body fat %

It just gave me a pretty blummin accurate result and for no cash either.

Next time I won't blow £25 on one.:bash:

[edit on 4-1-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
i had to cope with a little gastritis
but not it is gone!

progress:
so far no real progress - :bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

what did i do:
healing gastritis

started to increase protein and fruit
i mash 125 g of strawberries (half a package of the frozen ones i buy) or 2 bananas, – will try other fruites
add 2 table spoons of curd
and add 250ml millk
mix it all and drink it in the morning

love it

i feel really good about it

tomorrow i will get some of the healthy whole wheat flakes and will have them as second breakfast

for lunch (my dinenr) at about 3pm veggies with rice or pasta or potatoes

and for evening (supper) a sandwhich at about 7pm
will try beanspreads for the proteins

today i called my gym again, and i have an appointment for wendesday, so that the coach will explain all the exercises again!

plan:
every second day i will do the weight training
and the other day the fat burning training

@agent: i am still impressed by your picture - i really can.t beleve you are as old as you claim you are
i also want to look like 25

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

You're such a flatterer

The biggest 'looking youthful' tip. water..lots of it.

People here have known me long enough to known I haven't exactly led a 'Saintly' life lol.
Weakness for Smirnoff blue,late night Chicken takeaways and no sleep.(least said about that the better).

When I was immobile I looked like boiled crap.

_javascript:icon('')
Anyway,I just learned a good tip in the gym today from a very experienced bodybuilder.
I never did the 'chest thing' too much as it just wasn't required for any activities I enjoyed,but have to admit to the fact that a toned chest does look aesthetically pleasing,sooooo..

Trying to tone it up a tad had resulted in 'too much tricep and no pec'.
After quizzing this guy I learned my error and it makes so much more sense.

Bench set to about 25 degrees incline..
Using a Barbell on the free weights,employ as wide a grip as the bar will allow...and here's the killer tip..
Your range of movement is from touching your chest on the lowest part of the exercise..to only 2/3rds towards straightening arms,this keeps the weight on the pectoral for the entire range of movement..
...and it totally kills!!!

The weight is transferred from tricep to chest,so no more inflated arms too knackered to lift before feeling a chest burn.
Less weight too with a wider grip,so no 'Arnie boobs'

Target 3 sets of 12 with as much as you can lift for the three reps.
It tones the upper part of the chest which will give more lift to the boobies and a more rounded appearance .
Don't overtrain though,just do this once every 5 days ish,giving the muscles a chance to repair after.

My boobies are hurting just typing this..

I'll get more 'insider' tips as I observe them.

(Oh yeah.. I did my 20kg loss target,and have now decided it was too lame so have decided to go another 5kg.
Taking me to 'college weight')

Keep up da work,you really feel great for it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Here is a tip for you.
Have youself a set of triplets....and for good measure throw in another one when they are nearly 2.
I found that without trying I lost nearly 30 KG (66lb) in just over a year.
In the past month or so I dropped nearly 10kg...Dropping faster as they are getting bigger!

Seriously...a few small things makes a big difference.
It wasnt a concious thing to lose weight, but looking back I realised why I did. I have stopped drinking beer (Well...slowed down alot). I have stopped eating half a packet of biscuits per night with milk, and I eat smaller serves of food. mostly coz the kids will leave enough for me to graze on the left overs...waste not want not I always say.....

The best way however is to simply get off your butt and move. Doesnt have to be strenuous. just constant.

posted on Feb, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Here is a tip for you.
Have youself a set of triplets....and for good measure throw in another one when they are nearly 2.

I think I'd stick to the extra few pounds

I know a few girls who lost weight after births.
IE Less than they were before pregnancy.
My guess is that the pregnancy affected their metabolism 'favourably'.

Green tea,caffeine,iodine can help raise metabolism,speed up hypothyroidism a little,burning extra wobbly bits without the need for daycare or new shoes every 3 months.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

The pregnancy didnt help me at all...except for all the running around taking care of Mum.
"Im sore...Im tired...I have three babies in me...."
Soft I tell ya!
Tell her I said that and I will deny it.....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join