It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who use religion as an excuse for their problems.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I can't understand why there are people who use religion as an excuse for their problems, or, as an explanation for their problems. People cause problems and stuff happens. All of their problems aren't necessarily their fault but they are the fault of people... not necessarily angels or demons.

I stopped being religious long ago when I realized that it is silly to keep believing in doctrines that would only get me disappointed. I have no doubt there are higher-spirits or that there is a God but to blame all of your problems on unseen forces is just a silly idea or thought. To blame all of your woes on unseen circumstances. So you've had a lot of bad luck that means that you've had a demon watching over you and that you're possessed? I can't understand some people.

I don't really honestly know why people don't think for themselves. Most of the problems in my life that I've dealt with I've dealt with myself. I've been able to overcome my hardships without looking up to historical religious figures and seeing what they've done. Sure, I've been inspired at times at what some historical religious figures have done but I've never blamed a Demon or an Angel on my problems.

Some people want to blame their problems on external factors because they think that people are inherently good and that they would do nothing wrong unless they were possessed. I can't understand this line of thinking.

I think that people who think that their problems are caused by external factors may be right about some things but I think they need to get a grip on reality. It seems like this has become a disease and it has kept them from seeing the truth because they would like to believe that whenever someone has a psychological condition or whenever someone has some issues it's because of an angel or a demon.

I just think that these religious people need to come to terms with themselves and ask themselves what they really believe in. What about God do they believe in? Do they really think that angels or demons are the cause of all of their joys/upbringings and if so they need to ask themselves why they really believe that. I never use religion as an excuse for my problems. I usually manage to solve them. I think that that's what these people should be doing.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
...I don't really honestly know why people don't think for themselves. ...

Yes, because no other anti-religious person ever said THAT before!

Do you see the unspoken assumption that is in your sentence, as it applies to "religious" people? No? Then apparently, you have done too little "thinking for yourself".

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Well a lot of people who aren't religious will find anything to blame for their problems. A lot of people waste their energy feeling sorry for themselves, regardless of what form they do it in.

The truth is that a lot of things in life can feel out of your control at times, and it's easy to whine about it.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I don't know where you get your information from, but i find that people come to God to ask him to help them with their problems. They don't BLAME God for them...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I mean no offense but the majority of people I see blaming religion or 'the God concept' for their problems (and the world's problems, for that matter) are atheists or people who have left the religion of their childhood.

Most religious people I know find their religion to be a source of solace during times of trouble- not the cause. From my perspective, it's usually the non religious who think religion is the one causing all the problems.

[edit on 12/29/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That's true but then you have all of the religious people blaming God and wondering why they aren't getting their next promotion/raise. It goes both ways. But I think most people who are religious blame religion for most of their problems and their position in life.

reply to post by Reddupo

That's true but that's not my point. At least non-religious people don't blame outside forces for their problems.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think it is because some people feel better if they can blame someone/something else. I mean you would feel better if you think its not your fault for something. I dont think its just religious people who do it anyone who believes in anything can do it.

new topics

top topics

join