It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold War humanitarian program had covert side

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Cold War humanitarian program had covert side

news.yahoo.com

BAD AROLSEN, Germany – In the locked attic of a German archive is a dusty file that harks back to a long forgotten chapter of the Cold War — a humanitarian endeavor that, it now emerges, also had a covert side.

Marked "Escapee Program," it contains a list of thousands of names of people who, through cunning, bravery and luck, slipped through the Iron Curtain that divided Europe after World War II and found freedom in the West.

President Harry Truman's administration launched the program in 1952 to rehabilitate and resettle refugees from Eastern Europe, feting them as heroes who defied communist tyranny.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Wow what a good idea they had, turn refugees into spy's . I would have never thought it.But this makes alot of sence from an intel gathering stance, I mean who better to gather intel then the very citizens from wich country you want info from, I wonder if any of these people ever wrote memoirs to pass alog the momories of what they did, How many more of these programs do you think exsisted? or currently exsist for that matter, thoughts, opinions?

"All of a sudden I turned. Behind me was running the German shepherd. Directly at me. I said, 'that's finished.' It was a trained dog. It was going at the face. Lucky I had this little briefcase. I put it in front of my face. He jumped and hit the briefcase. It was a lucky move, believe me. He hit it with full speed."

Wow, here we have avrage civillians becoming almost spys overnight, fiction can't write stuff this good!
news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

join