It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Need A White History Month, white college, and white scholorship funds Etc...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I cook lunch for our local Baha'i' children's class every Saturday and we have children there from Asia, Africa, South America, Black, White, Oriental, Indian, Iranian and a lot of mixed races.

They are all beautiful and those kids (4 to 14) pay no attention to the race of their classmates.

They are our future... and with each generation the old attitudes of race fade more and more.

The most promising thing I have heard in a long time happened last week when one of the men who beat Rep. John Lewis (D Georgia) senseless in Alabama (leaving lifetime scars on his body) made to pilgrimage to Washington specifically to apologize... and the Rev. Lewis accepted it and forgave the man.

Where there is life and love there is hope.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by spliff4020

Poverty HAS something to do with race chief. Blacks make somewhere around 25% less than their white counterparts. This is less money to do same thing everyone else does so you do the math.

Bull. Plain and simple. If you are looking at overall demographics, there might be a possibilty that on a whole whites earn more than blacks. But on a case to case scenario, you'd better have to facts to back it up.

Im not saying that blacks dont have a harder hill to climb than whites, but we all still have those hills to conquer. The day Obama took the oath is the day that no black man can say he is held back. The only one holding him back is his own ignorance (white or black).

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Nursing has long been a ladder up for minority women, but a new state study shows that in New York City, black nurses get paid less than their white counterparts.

www.crainsnewyork.com.../20080706/FREE/178966375/1008/toc

According to 2002 census figures, black men still earn roughly 25 percent less than their white counterparts who have the same level of education.

abcnews.go.com...

Whether out of hostility, indifference or simple lack of knowledge, large numbers of white Americans incorrectly believe that blacks are as well off as whites in terms of their jobs, incomes, schooling and health care, according to a national survey by The Washington Post, the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation and Harvard University.

www.cir-usa.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020 The day Obama took the oath is the day that no black man can say he is held back. The only one holding him back is his own ignorance (white or black).

Obama being sworn in as President is indeed a great step forward in regards to race... it doesn't change however the overall life experiences of blacks and the discrimination they have and still face...

Obama being president will have no effect on racial profiling... inner city poverty... underfunding of prodominately black schools... the fact that more blacks are convicted and imprisoned than any other group... etc.

In short the Obama presidency will change nothing. It will inspire the young which is good... but for the average black person nothing will change except that the racists might behave more vehemently.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by grover]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Originally posted by spliff4020 The day Obama took the oath is the day that no black man can say he is held back. The only one holding him back is his own ignorance (white or black).

Obama being sworn in as President is indeed a great step forward in regards to race... it doesn't change however the overall life experiences of blacks and the discrimination they have and still face...

Obama being president will have no effect on racial profiling... inner city poverty... underfunding of prodominately black schools... the fact that more blacks are convicted and imprisoned than any other group... etc.

In short the Obama presidency will change nothing. It will inspire the young which is good... but for the average black person nothing will change except that the racists might behave more vehemently.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by grover]

[edit on 11-2-2009 by MegaBears]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Morgan Freeman has addressed this topic and I agree with him.

"Racism" is still an ongoing problem because people are not happy being who they are without getting acknowledged for it.

As long as black people insist in having Black history month, Black entertainment TV station, United Negro funds, NAACP, etc. the people that are not black can't see black people as just people because the blacks won't allow it!

Here is something to ponder...why is there make-up for 'women of color'? Is that saying I am colorless? Is white not a color, is brown not a color?

Racism is here to stay because black people will not let it go away!

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Well, there you go, some numbers. Google is a friend. As for the facts? I can give you at least 3 examples from my mothers job and she works at a university grad school!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I stumbled upon this thread while looking to see if anyone had started a thread about a Native American History month. Why this thread popped up at the top I will never know. I am however appalled by what I have read. A White American history month, White College Fund, etc.
There is a reason for having a Black history month, and no it is not for a race to hide behind accomplishments of others of there race and say, look at how good we are, it is to recognize that this race had people who made contributions to the current day society even while being at a disadvantage. Back when many accomplishments where made, they did not receive anywhere near the same level of schooling as white folk. They made these accomplishments and they should be recognized, and to say if a white man made these same accomplishments, they would go unrecognized is a stupid thing to say, the white man had moor opportunities for learning than the black man and they did not come up with the ideas period, and if they did it would be recognized maybe on a smaller scale because of other accomplishments of white folk overshadowing it but it would be recognized.
To the poster who said that Washington Carver was no Einstein, well, I hate to break it to you but if Carver was given the same education opportunities as Einstein, he could have very well exceeded Einstein, but we will never know.
So there you go there is a need for a Black History month, to celebrate accomplishments by people that not only made this country a better place but also did it even without the same opportunities as whites.
As far as a white history month goes, I have to question what would be celebrated.
A. The slaughtering of another race in order to take their land?
B. The enslavement of another race to do the things that they wouldn’t even have animals do?
C. The hatred of another race so much that they would burn crosses on anyone’s lawn who sympathized with them?
D. The putting up of signs that read no Irish need apply or no Negro’s allowed.
Yes there are good accomplishments too, but if you are going to have a white history month, even though these things might not be celebrated, they will always be in the back of many peoples minds IMHO anyway.

So, for me no there should not be a White History Month.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Equating LDS to Christians is like equating Catholism to Jewish. No correlation. Their particular beliefs branched out a long time ago and changed to different ideologies. Use a better analogy.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
First off if you haven't lived in the deep south you don't understand the deep south. You think of it as a place where white racism still runs wild in the streets thanks to the media which you pick and choose on what to believe.

I'm a born Yankee..blessed by God to live in the south and not have to put up with winters they have up north. I've lived in many states from the central planes to the different coast and even other southern states other than the one I now live in.

Even the blacks that move down here from other parts of the country can't believe what they see. What they see is abundant reverse racism. But you aren't shown that by the media. So before you speak of some place and declare it still under white racism go there..live there then speak when you have knowledge of what to speak about.

Why don't we do away with all named holidays. Make new holidays that do not celebrate any religion, race or person. Why not have so many days a year called National we need a holiday today. Have it mean what ever you want it to mean to you. The calendars can just say national holiday.

I do not agree that we should use double standards on anything. Even down to what I consider a waste of time beauty pagents.

We should take off all of those little government kick backs for hiring a certain color person or people that are on the system first.

Equality has to start somewhere. If you want to be equal then everyone should have the same rights be allowed the same chances. If you are better qualified for the job you should get the job your color or your food stamps shouldn't make you a more desireable canidate to the employer.

As for teaching history in school for different races for a month. Here's the problem with that...the history taught in public schools is never the whole history it is only one sided. The side you that they want people to think.

We should have a month called the total history month where students are to bring in facts that aren't in the history books. So they learn that everything is not quite right in those government approved books they labor over. Even WW2 leaves out lots of important info so no I'm not just talking about civil war history.

The only way for this country to be as one people is for all races to let go of the past, build upon it and try to work and be as one people. You can not hold todays people responsible for actions of their forefathers. You can only hold them responsible for their own actions.

You can not set one culture/race above all others and say they had it worse so they should have all this special treatment. You only breed discontentment. Our forefathers in this country took and killed and abused many different peoples, the Native Americans, the Asians even the Mexicans but they don't go around still demanding they are owed anything they move on and try to make a better life.

We seem to have many people in this country that want us to only look at one side of every story. Just like a divorce there are 3 sides. his, hers and the truth. We need to get rid of the his and hers sides of the stories in our history and focus on the truth and not set anyone above anyone else or give them perks that no other color has.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
People in hell want ice water too but that doesn't mean they're going to get it.

And I am in favor of your idea; might I just suggest you try bringing it back up in either 4 or 8 years.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I wanted to point out that if a white individual goes to a college where they are the minority, they are eligible for the same minority benefits that a black person would receive from a predominantly white college.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join