It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Gutted and Skinned my first deer...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

CreeWolf, I tried to be respective, hoping that your hunts were about the meat, and NOT about the 'trophy'.

See, my maternal grandfather hunted....but to him, it was about the trophy, that he could send to the taxidermist, and display on the wall.

Yes, he did eat the venison....and, he lived through the Great Depression, so perhaps there is something there...BUT, when he retired, and had a comfortable life, and a beautiful house in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, he still hunted, just for the sport of it. He didn't NEED the meat, the venison...he could afford just about anything he wanted....he hunted for trophys.

SO, what I am trying to say is....respect for a way of life, until it becomes a tragic waste of life.

If a man needs to eat, and provide for his family, then that's how it is...'survival of the fittest'. BUT, when a man simply uses advanced technology (a rifle) to shoot a defenseless animal for 'sport'...then, it becomes something else.

Anyway, I think the acrid humour of this OP has been lost, so I'd like to re-direct everyone's attention to how wry this is......

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
but wait..

no bean sprouts in my chinese food?

WTF is that all about, Cree? I mean, I think moles are just as cute as the next person, especially when my yard dog would catch one and bring it to me (and we're like .. uh .. what is ... this ... little creature or thing? is it dead? lol)

but no bean sprouts just sends a shreik of terror into my heart. normally it is the part of the dish that you wish were not there, I often times find myself complaining as I eat the rice or noodles, "aw hell, they put bean sprouts in it, this place must be .. *insert SE Asian ethnic group here* food, not Chinese!" because they'd have that rather bitter, grassy taste to them.

but I try to imagine chow mein without them and it just doesn't add up, I mean .. this could've stunted an entire culture of billions of people. no shaolin, no wutang, no tai chi or kung fu, no GENERAL TSO's CHICKEN, all from having no bean sprouts in the diet. look at the U.S. public schools, they make burgers out of soy bean, the bean sprout must be very good for you, why else does it taste like that? lol.

I think eating squirrel and rabbit is NASTY. especially squirrel, it is a RODENT. and rabbits are related to rodents. so now you know what a RAT SAMMICH probably tastes similar to from your childhood memories. When I was a child, my friends were into killing things, but I wasn't. I was not there that day so do not be angry at me, but one time they shot a squirrel with the BB-gun (powerful BB-gun) and it was dying but not quite dead and then they poured fuel on it and char grilled the poor fellar right then and there, and left him as a waste I believe. I was shocked that they were so sadistic. But I must admit I felt a pinch of that sadistic tendency as a child, most children tend to go through a phase or varying sadistic tendency toward animals, particularly males, usually before puberty. Mine was more minor than most.. worst thing I ever did was given into the temptation of throwing a cat a few feet from me (I was like 6 years old it was the hardest I could throw the poor thing) onto the ground in the backyard for no apparent reason. You know, pick it up and throw as hard as you can? he landed a few feet away on his feet and ran off, so DONT HATE ME .. lol, at least I didn't char grill squirrels.

PS: weedwhacker you are hilarious :-)

PPS: I have more than made up for tossing the cat with countless years of pet service. I feed the pets, clean their poop, clean their urine, clean the place they defecate, refill their water, etc, all for free. I let them in an out of the backyard because they are disabled and cannot open the back sliding door by themselves. Basically I am a slave to the cats of my home, all 3 of them, and even protect them from the 3 chiuwawa's that like to run down the steps like a pack of ravaging hyena's, trying to surprise and single out one of the cats for an action packed chase around the kitchen until someone (me) says loudly "hey stop that!" and the dogs run off. Lol .. they're chicken-crap though .. if they're alone with one of the cats they are so scared it is hilarious. but when they outnumber them theyre so tuff!!

[edit on 12/29/2008 by runetang]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Ok Weedwhacker and Runetang, does it help you if I add in also that I eat the meat? I do. In fact, doing most of the processing in my family saves on the cost of meat in the Supermarket. And, nothing else in this world tastes like deer liver!

I got your sarcasm. Personally, I RESPECT this trait in people and can eat what I dish out!

I respect animals. I have a house full of critters too. I would never go out of my way to hurt an animal and when I hunt, I ALWAYS try to make the first shot fatal.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

I get it, Cree!!!

As I said, I think the beginning of this thread was a spoof, anyway...but, it brought out some good thoughts.

IF you eat what you shoot, then...well...that makes sense to me. And especially if there is a cultural imperative to hunt, then that must be acknowledged and respected.

Having said that, I still prefer to go 'hunting' at Whole Foods....might cost more, but sure is easier!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
You do realize that if all the people would start hunting, all the game would be gone within a week.
I say that in case of some "catastrophe", whatever it could be, all the animals will be exterminated very soon. Only in some far away places somewhere in the North where it's very cold you could find a place to be alone and hunt.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

It's obvious you have a lot of respect for the animal and you use it for food and not just sport so due to that I'll say good job!

My husband is an avid hunter who I barely see during hunting season.
We weren't married a week at the time when I walked out the back door on Christmas morning to find him, only to see a dead deer hanging upside down and gutted from a tree in the back yard. I screamed in terror and collapsed to the floor after my legs went limp (but I didn't faint). Typical city girl and country boy clash. I don't hunt but he does. Like you, he respects and uses the animal for meat so I don't put up a fuss. As long as he doesn't enlist me in anything he does out there.

But good job. I'm sure that is a good feeling to know you are capable of hunting and going through with the process if the world ever gets to the point where it is a necessity and not just a luxury.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by Jkd Up

It's obvious you have a lot of respect for the animal and you use it for food and not just sport so due to that I'll say good job!

My husband is an avid hunter who I barely see during hunting season.
We weren't married a week at the time when I walked out the back door on Christmas morning to find him, only to see a dead deer hanging upside down and gutted from a tree in the back yard. I screamed in terror and collapsed to the floor after my legs went limp (but I didn't faint). Typical city girl and country boy clash. I don't hunt but he does. Like you, he respects and uses the animal for meat so I don't put up a fuss. As long as he doesn't enlist me in anything he does out there.

But good job. I'm sure that is a good feeling to know you are capable of hunting and going through with the process if the world ever gets to the point where it is a necessity and not just a luxury.

*bowing* Always a pleasure to have you here M'Lady! I am glad that you are one of the many who can determine the differance between sport and usage. I think of those I know who just do it for the sport and I have told them, just drop the carcass off to me and I'll do the rest, take what you want and I'll get what you don't, and they STILL won't. It's kind of disturbing that with an offer like that (and the fact that most of them are well within the area) that they still let the carcasses rot in the woods. Makes me sick.

As far as the city gal, country boy issuse... If there was going to be a clash of the worlds... It indeed would have been when you first saw a deer strung up.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
OP been a bow hunter for last decade.. Bow hunting is very challenging. Gutted a few but have not skinned one. I have friends that do all that themselves. Around here it doesn't cost much.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

which zoo was this at?

david

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects
OP been a bow hunter for last decade.. Bow hunting is very challenging. Gutted a few but have not skinned one. I have friends that do all that themselves. Around here it doesn't cost much.

I admire bow hunters. That is not easy. you pretty much have one shot. I applaud you and recomend that you give gutting and skinning a chance.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well maybe next year..actually I may hunting this after noon. If I get one maybe I'll also skin it..have a couple buddies that have done it many times. problem I have is I hunt public lands and often have hunts interrupted by inexperienced hunters, hikers, other types of hunters, you name it. I usually practice a lot more but now am in city..20 yd shot in basement is about all preparation I do now. This year has been bad. Only got out twice...weather and other factors -been looking for job.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Congratulations!

I'm glad that you not only learned this skill; but also appreciate it. I have hunted for years, and have gutted, skinned, and processed deer on my own. My father taught me how when I was younger.

There absolutely is a much higher respect factor involved when you 'own' the entire process, as opposed to taking the animal to a processor.

Feel free to U2U me with any good hunting stories (whether true or not..
) and any questions!

Take care and lots of luck!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Bow hunting is tough, you have to remember to get very close to the deer or you will most likely wound it only. My second buck this season had an arrow point stuck inside his back leg from a bow season wound.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Fair play to you, I live in the UK and have shot guns in the US on hols, but I don't think I could do it for sport though, Maybe only for survival, it is a useful skill , but for us here in the UK a bit pointless unless you like squirrel or pigeon....
Besides we're all animal lovers and I know I'd be a bit squeamish , I'd hesitate in pulling the trigger to kill even if it meant me and my families survival. I'd do it though but then I'd have to wait a while to make sure it was dead before sending the family off to get veggies before I started cutting.In case it upsets anyones.
Poor bambi..
Or in our case poor secret squirrel.... saying that its easier to barbeque a squirrel than a deer.
Pigeons are plentiful though. I think I'd have to cook them thoroughly first, bloody flying rats.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I skinned one deer; my first ever. After that I discovered how fast the meatcutter could peel an entire deer and realized my time was better spent cleaning the bed of the truck, the rifle, my boots, etc.....

Now, it's field dress, drag, and load. Let the shop peel that sonofagun like a wet woolen sock.

Don't take that wrong....I very much respect the work that goes into performing the entire process.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Txhunter67

By close you mean 20-30 yds..In woods you are lucky to get a shot that far. I have gotten 6 in the 10 years I have hunted..all died quickly although one arrow broke spine still single lunged- Second arrow ended it- all less than 10 min. Many times they don't know what happened to them as a good shot will pass thru. All mine have been recovered within 50 yds.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
reply to post by spinkyboo

Certainly no dis respect but yes, you are missing some thing. Mainly the fact we are hunters. its in our primal instincts. A person can in fact have respect for the game and thrill in the kill. If that piece of you is missing I do feel sorry for you. Again no dis respect meant and no malice intended.

Were not talking about whole sale slaughter here. Were talking about taking the few to help the many and using what were taking.

I understand that we are hunters.

I understand hunting. I came from a hunting town.
We ate squirrel and rabbit that lived in the forest next to our home.
I understand using what you are taking.
Good for you. Feed the masses when the time comes.
I will likely have to do the same.

I understand being grateful for our food - greens and meat -
especially during time of starvation -
I still do not understand the "game."
What game?
The game of a human with a gun -
against a unsuspecting, running, scared animal?
Nope. Sorry. No thrill in that.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by spinkyboo]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
reply to post by spinkyboo

You'll never understand. You're not Klingon. Go back to Vulcan and meditate.

Is that Hillary Clinton in your avatar? Great!

You are correct. I will likely never understand the thrill of any kill -
For this I am grateful.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by spinkyboo]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Txhunter67
reply to post by Jkd Up

Bow hunting is tough, you have to remember to get very close to the deer or you will most likely wound it only. My second buck this season had an arrow point stuck inside his back leg from a bow season wound.

They only allow shotgun here for deer, I think I'll work on that a bit before moving into bow. Like I said though... Much Respect! It's alot more skill orientted than rifle or shotgun...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join