It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Gutted and Skinned my first deer...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Alright... Just spend a good bit of time with someone more talented than I to learn something new.

This weeks lesson was gutting and skinning a deer.

Now, everyone knows that killing the deer is the fun part, the rest is work. But I didn't even fall this one. The 100 pound doe was plopped on my porch while I was at work and was there to greet me when I got home. The schooling was set up by a friend who knew my desire to learn how to clean one and he had an extra.

This is a skill that I think anyone who wants to think they can survive off the land should know.

I have skinned, gutted and filleted plent of animals, but since I just took up hunting recently, this was my first opprotunity.

It is an amazing feeling to do and I think anyone who eats meat should do it at least once (even if they aren't a survivalist) just so they can appreciate how the meat is taken from an animal as well as identify where cuts come from.

I gotta thank W.S. for helping me out.

Hope everyone's having a great New Years!

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Jkd Up]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
congradulations..........make some nice Jerky from the meat and you will really enjoy it.

It is much more personal and you tend to have much more respect for the animal when you are the one taking it and butchering it.

Its the ones that buy the nice sanitary package and eat it that never really appreciate what they are eating.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apache Kid
congradulations..........make some nice Jerky from the meat and you will really enjoy it.

It is much more personal and you tend to have much more respect for the animal when you are the one taking it and butchering it.

Its the ones that buy the nice sanitary package and eat it that never really appreciate what they are eating.

Very true! I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about it.

I'm very interested in making some Jerky of some of it. Got any good recapies?

I had the Loin last night, rub it down with Olive Oil and sprinkle heavy with Basil and Thyme... Searved over wild rice and a cold basil pasta salad on the side... Good eats!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It’s too bad really it isn’t a prerequisite to eat meat - to take the animal from *falling - to freezer*.
I often wondered how people who went to all the trouble to hunt a deer then turned it over to a butcher.
Eeek!
It’s a wonderful feeling of satisfaction - and respect to the animal - to be a part of the complete process.
I’ve *been there done that * for most of the meat I’ve eaten until recently when moving to an area where I can’t grow my own animals.
Grats to you - you’re blooded!

EDIT:
Oh recipes for deer!
Best served outdoor in the snow cooked over a maple wood fire with just salt!
Eating the meat just hot and still dripping blood with your fingers.
Grrrrrrrr!
hehehe
And I’m a chick.

*P*E*A*C*E*

[edit on 28-12-2008 by silo13]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
It’s too bad really it isn’t a prerequisite to eat meat - to take the animal from *falling - to freezer*.
I often wondered how people who went to all the trouble to hunt a deer then turned it over to a butcher.
Eeek!
It’s a wonderful feeling of satisfaction - and respect to the animal - to be a part of the complete process.
I’ve *been there done that * for most of the meat I’ve eaten until recently when moving to an area where I can’t grow my own animals.

*P*E*A*C*E*

Thank you! I'd like to mention also that all of it was used as well... Skin is being tanned right now for a friend who is a Native American. He gave me an actual peace pipe awhile ago, so i thought he'd get a kick of having the skin.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
How messy was it skinning and butchering an animal that big? always something ive wanted to do,atleast once to see how its done and the meat is prepared from certain sections..always afraid i will look like something from a horror movie though after,terrible hand to eye coordination

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
How messy was it skinning and butchering an animal that big? always something ive wanted to do,atleast once to see how its done and the meat is prepared from certain sections..always afraid i will look like something from a horror movie though after,terrible hand to eye coordination

Fear nothing on your quest of knowledge...

It's not messy at all. Horror movies sell blood, but little blood is in the process. It's quite a sight.

I've had an opprotunity to see an autopsy live and in person... THAT was an experiance. I was so amazed at how wrong horror movies had it... The human body is an amazing machine.

Anyhow, I digress... It's not that bad at all. Just don't puncture the gut
Get a friend to let you watch the next time they do it. Or show intrest twords it and most will let you help. It's an experiance you won't forget (in a good way)

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Eeek!

EDIT:
Oh recipes for deer!
Best served outdoor in the snow cooked over a maple wood fire with just salt!
Eating the meat just hot and still dripping blood with your fingers.
Grrrrrrrr!
hehehe
And I’m a chick.

*P*E*A*C*E*

[edit on 28-12-2008 by silo13]

there's no way agirl like you is single??? (lol).

I like my deer in jerky or butterfly steaks. Pepperoni too. Geez I have to admit I haven't hunted in 5 yrs or more..me and the old man used to go out, but he's no longer able (just gettin' old, ya know?). I've moved to the city here, where no on e knows anyting about hunting. I told some guys at work I'd hunted a deer and they asked hwo big the horns were.........

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
congrats on the learning experience. i couldnt do it.

i think i'll just make my veggie garden larger..

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Congrats on your first gutting. Its a personal thing to get inside the deer. (No pun intended) Its some thing you will always remember. weather fondly or with horror it will be a piece of your memory and experience. Now when you have your first kill of the bigger game that goes beyond memory and changes you.

The change isn't always for the better and not always for the worse. some times its barely noticeable but there is always a change.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Congratulations! I helped my father do it many years ago and have recently studied on-line instructions (and printed them out for future use). I agree with you that people should know the skill.

I have also printed out instructions for dressing rabbit and quail as they are plentiful here. Also instructions for meat curing techniques.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Can you edit your title? The type-o, as it stands now, makes it appear that you murdered someone close to you.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
reply to post by Jkd Up

Congrats on your first gutting. Its a personal thing to get inside the deer. (No pun intended) Its some thing you will always remember. weather fondly or with horror it will be a piece of your memory and experience. Now when you have your first kill of the bigger game that goes beyond memory and changes you.

The change isn't always for the better and not always for the worse. some times its barely noticeable but there is always a change.

Too true dear friend! There indeed is a change. The next time though... I'm gonna try to be the onle to fall it as well. Feel kinda robbed of the tracking experiance.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It's not quite the same experience if you didn't shoot it yourself. It's much more personal if you have. As far as mess goes, it's only messy if you don't know what your doing, or if you hit the aorta like i did on a doe about seven years ago. All the blood was sucked in to the chest cavity and made quite the puddle when i made the belly cut.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by Jkd Up

Can you edit your title? The type-o, as it stands now, makes it appear that you murdered someone close to you.

Thanks... But the Deer was dear to me...

This is not a one liner. A one liner might go: A duck walked into a bar... OUCH!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Congratulations! I helped my father do it many years ago and have recently studied on-line instructions (and printed them out for future use). I agree with you that people should know the skill.

I have also printed out instructions for dressing rabbit and quail as they are plentiful here. Also instructions for meat curing techniques.

All that is very good infomation to have on hand indeed! Thank you!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Congrats! I have cleaned and processed many deer, and as a woman I can say I am proud of it. The meat has gotten my family and many friends through some hard times. As for being messy, its not that bad as long as you don't bust the gut, not to be gross but the stench will kill you!

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Greenize]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

As I have stated, I feel a bit cheated by that... But I'll get it! Great to see you again friend! It's been awhile!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Thank you! Yes, it is kind of hard to turn down the better part of 70 pounds of free meat.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
Congrats! I have cleaned and processed many deer, and as I woman I can say I am proud of it. The meat has gotten my family and many friends through some hard times. As for being messy, its not that bad as long as you don't bust the gut, not to be gross but the stench will kill you!

If you think that stinks, try gutting a black bear.
Deer and elk smell like roses compared to bear.
But they taste goooood!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join