It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
If yellowstone erupted the entire world would feel it. The US would be devastated by nationwide storms of ashparticles. These particles would get caught in your lungs if you breathed in openly during what almost looks like a snowfall. As they mixed with the mucous in your lungs, they would solidify into a cement-like substance, which would indoubtably kill you.

Not trying to scare anyone, but knowledge is power.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Im not used to friends being in an EQ while on AIM with me. In the last 48 hrs thats what Ive been getting. PA the other night.

That happened right where I live. It was weird, at first I thought a car like crashed into my house or something, 5 minutes later I check out the government earthquake site and it says a 3.3 was in PA. I was like "oh snap!"

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Did we ever come up with a theory from the Alternate Methods of EQ Prediction thread as to why the animals in the mid west-ish and surrounding areas were evacuating? I realize we weren't talking about the Yellowstone area, but could there be any correlation?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Found this article from Dec 25th, 2008.

www.allheadlinenews.com...

December 25, 2008 6:03 a.m. EST
Linda Young - AHN Editor

Manilla, Philippines (AHN) - A 6.1 magnitude earthquake offshore shook southern Philippines on Thursday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said.

U.S. Geological Survey detected the quake as a slightly stronger 6.2 magnitude event.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage and no tsunami warning was issued for the quake.

The offshore quake was at a depth of 115 miles and was centered about 53 miles southeast of General Santos in the island of Mindanao or 640 miles south-southeast of Manila.

Earthquakes, are common along the Philippines archipelago, which is located on something called the "Ring of Fire." It is an an arc of volcanoes and fault lines that encircle the Pacific Basin and is prone to frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. The same arc extends inland from the Pacific Ocean under the U.S. and the geysers and hot springs at Yellowstone National Park are fed by it.

Sounds like these earthquakes are connected.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
Would scientists know if this erruption was going to happen in the near future?

Yeah, a harmonic tremor is a dead ringer for impending eruption.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bl0rg
yellowstone? damn doesn't it sit on a 70km caldera?

55km in the narrow direction, 72km the longer direction.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
This is the most activity of this region that I have seen in the past 2 years of watching the EQ seismic charts.

Yellowstone is talking....

The question is, what exactly is it saying?

Maybe it is saying I blow up about every 640,000 years and it
has been 640,000 years.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
Found this article from Dec 25th, 2008.

www.allheadlinenews.com...

December 25, 2008 6:03 a.m. EST
Linda Young - AHN Editor

Manilla, Philippines (AHN) - A 6.1 magnitude earthquake offshore shook southern Philippines on Thursday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said.

U.S. Geological Survey detected the quake as a slightly stronger 6.2 magnitude event.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage and no tsunami warning was issued for the quake.

The offshore quake was at a depth of 115 miles and was centered about 53 miles southeast of General Santos in the island of Mindanao or 640 miles south-southeast of Manila.

Earthquakes, are common along the Philippines archipelago, which is located on something called the "Ring of Fire." It is an an arc of volcanoes and fault lines that encircle the Pacific Basin and is prone to frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. The same arc extends inland from the Pacific Ocean under the U.S. and the geysers and hot springs at Yellowstone National Park are fed by it.

Sounds like these earthquakes are connected.

Wow, great find. I agree about it all being connected... now does this mean that these little earthquakes that are appearing are just a small aftermath of the ones in the Philippines... or does it mean another big one will hit Yellowstone just like the ones in the philippines??

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

I just emailed a close relative of mine that is located at Old Faithful, in Yellowstone, to ask her if she's overheard any chatter about the seismic activity. She is a volunteer at the visitor center there for the winter. I will post if she emails me back with any additional info.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by asmall89

Your correct, it would be a nationwide event, if not a worldwide one.

If Pandora's box was a real physical entity.. the yellowstone caldera would be its resting place.

It would end up Worldwide as the Toba disaster did.

The Toba disaster wiped 90% of all life on the planet.

They found a genetic bottleneck at the time right after it blew its
top because it caused the equivalent of a nuclear winter.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Hmm, very curious... I found this live webcam at old faithful, been watching and have seen the camera shake several times. And keep in mind that old faithful is a pretty good ways west of yellowstone lake.

There's also people out near the geysers?

This is a live streaming webcam, with what appears to be an overdubbed, looping audio stream presentation, because I have heard the same thing repeated now. Check it out:

www.nps.gov...

from

www.nps.gov...

you may need to install the Windows media player 11 plugin for firefox, so follow instructions to install.

So I ask why's the cam shaking periodically? Is that normal prior to old faithful's eruptions or something....? Hope so...

edit: might be the wind...

[edit on 28-12-2008 by TrueAmerican]

I'm looking at it. According to the recent earthquakes page www.seis.utah.edu... there was a tremor about 8 minutes ago!

I think the shaking that you see is from wind gusts. I noticed that all the steam is blowing horizontally, so it's not still out there or the steam would just be gently rising.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Has anyone checked to see if there is any correlation in the timing between Old Faithful' eruptions and the quakes beneath the lake?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mushussu

no, but I am trying to roughly calculate the time between when I see the shaking on the live webcam and what the webicorder displays happened. As of yet have reached no conclusion. The shaking on the webcam appears consistent with earthquakes to me. Nice thing about it is the camera appears to be at shooting at least 15 frames per second. Decent stream for a webcam.

The shaking could be wind. Still not sure. But considering how close old faithful is to yellowstone lake, it is not unreasonable to assume that the tremors would be felt quite nicely right there where that webcam is.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

weatherchannle.com

states that Yellowstone has winds from WSW @11 mph with gusts up to 21 mph.
I do not know how protected the cam is there.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Another little one a few minutes ago, still in the same spot. The last two have a more deep hypocenter than the other ones:

2.2 2008/12/28 16:57:57 44.509N 110.372W 0.9 61 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Apparantly these EQ swarms are common at this location

The University of Utah says they've been in an area of the park where swarms are common.

source

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I work out in Yellowstone seasonally and back in 2002 (I believe 2002) a geologist went to Yellowstone scaring people away, saying that the caldera would erupt soon. I'm almost afraid to go back there, but I know that being at the base of the eruption would be far better than being further away and suffering.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

I guess I would then have to ask .. during what time frame.
Clusters have been happening mostly in the NW part of the park for some time. If you look at the wording the area of Yellowstone is rather large, and there are clusters of EQ's often , in Yellowstone. But not there at that spot under the lake.
I have been watching USGS for years now. During that time, I have not seen anything like this. Or this many, this large in that spot.
It is the wording. Even if THEY knew what was going on, IF it were to go now, How could they get people out responsibly, without panic.
It is the wording that they choose that bothers me.
'Frequent in the area'.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mushussu

Yeah, a little bit like lying by omission. To a degree I agree with the marble vs. bowling ball analogy. Many of the same factors present prior to St. Helens would probably be present if yellowstone were to go, but on a larger scale. And this is what is troubling to me: this appears to be a larger scale with more frequency in the same tiny concentrated area. Just hoping it blows over and stops.

Unfortunately though, the webicorder is indicating large spikes even closer together now, jeez. I dunno man.

www.quake.utah.edu...

[edit on 28-12-2008 by TrueAmerican]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join