It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 703
<< 700  701  702    704  705  706 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I just watched am episode on the History Channel of How the Earth was Made on Yellowstone....

They stated that there will be signs to indicate an imminent eruption:

1. Increase in earthquakes (check)
2. Raise in land elevation (check)
3. Water changes (check)
4. Magma level increase (check)

All of things were verified to be happening as of 2009 by seismologists, and have scientists on the 'concerned' side....

Not fear mongering; just stating the facts.

This is quite interesting

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Earthquakes happen there all the time, yes there has been swarms, but there has been quiet times too. (The last year or two has been very quiet in fact). The earth rises and falls in Yellowstone all the time, and has done so since the last eruption. There is no 'concrete' evidence that the magma in yellowstone is rising. We can assume it is, but there's nothing to worry about there. And changes in the watertable are a result of the inside of the caldera rising and falling.

Yes all those things are facts, but they've been that way for 600000 years. Nothing to worry about till we start seeing much bigger earthquakes, violent swarms, and harmonic tremors.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Im not sure if the link to Nasas recent story about the geothermal stuff going on in and around YS has been provided yet. please forgive me if it has .. because im posting it ..

www.nasa.gov...

What this means for real-time monitoring at this stage of the project, says Lawrence, is that the satellite data can tell Park managers when big changes occur in a geothermal area, but not necessarily what is happening, or exactly where. Landsat thermal pixels used in this study are 120 meters on a side, much bigger than many of Yellowstone’s geothermal landmarks, many of which can be as small or smaller than a one meter.

Iv read both stories on this subject and here is what i think is going on ..

as you all know iv been following this thread since the beginning of the xmas 08 quake swarm... and sometimes i do my own research and googleing on it ...
no i am not a pro at this .. with that being said ..
it is highly possible that the magma chamber under YS is in fact growing in width and length .
and is now in fact larger then it was say when the last major eruption happened 640k years ago .
so when she next blows massivly she will be larger in scale to Lake toba .. yes its a scary thought , but due to what iv followed over the past two years it is also possible ...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Small swarm ongoing at YS since Yesterday, small quakes but still quakes.
Can check it on the YMR graphs and probably all located close to Madison River seismo

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

well considering the old hottie has been sooo quiet lately,.
this is good news

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
shes still too quiet even with the recent mag of 2.5

www.seis.utah.edu...

this is not thought as a swarm...

2.5 2012/01/17 01:32:47 44.741N 111.014W 5.0 11 km ( 7 mi) NE of West Yellowstone, MT 1.3 2012/01/16 17:55:05 44.731N 111.017W 3.8 10 km ( 6 mi) NE of West Yellowstone, MT 1.6 2012/01/16 01:39:01 44.324N 110.669W 6.6 51 km (32 mi) SE of West Yellowstone, MT

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I have also followed from the beginning of the thread and continued to check in here and there during this lull. It may not be a big swarm but click on the Madison webi and click on the 16th-today and there is an obvious thumping going on. On the 17th before and after the 2.5 there are at least 8 there that are just guessing between 1.0 and 1.5. Today there were about 6 strikes you can see through all the wind. I don't get why they record the 0.1 hit but not the others on the Recent Quakes page. Any ideas?

Link to the webicorder image for the 17th for Madison. Sorry don't know how to put it directly on the page.
edit on 20-1-2012 by burikun because: to add

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It would be nice if old mama earth always gave warnings before she decided to do something but St. Helens went quiet before the big one.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
A 2.8 in Wyoming. Fifty miles from Old Faithful.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Is something stirring???

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
What would happen if it did erupt? I'm a ways from Yellowstone but how long would we have to gtfo of whatever after effects it's has. Dumb question but I am unedumacated in this field.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wasobservingquietly

A 2.8 in Wyoming. Fifty miles from Old Faithful.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Is something stirring???

i seen that pop up as well.... right after the 2.8 there seems to be some sharp micro spikes around the mooow st..www.seis.utah.edu... well have to see if she finally wakes up!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Is this really 700+ pages.....? I thought it was a glitch

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The only thing happening at Yellowstone this moment is a bunch of bison in front of the Old Faithful Webcam. If you check now they may still be there. I've seen them a few times lately. So, I think they're hanging around for the warmth.

www.yellowstone.co...

Some of them are standing now and grazing. They are posing for the tourist that are taking their picture.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Yellowstone Recent Status Report, Updates, and Information Releases
YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:59 PM MST (Wednesday, February 1, 2012 19:59 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

During January 2012, 26 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park region. The largest was a magnitude 2.5 event on January 18 at 2:32 AM MST, located about 7 miles north northeast of West Yellowstone, MT.

Yellowstone earthquake activity continues at relatively low background levels and no swarms were detected.

Slow subsidence of the caldera, which began in early 2010, continues. Current deformation patterns at Yellowstone are well within historical norms.

Please see: www.uusatrg.utah.edu... for a map of GPS stations in the Yellowstone vicinity. For a graph of daily GPS positions at White Lake, within the Yellowstone caldera, please see: pboweb.unavco.org...

Source

Also, a new research study out that is quiet interesting. PM, I think you will enjoy it.

Tiny Bubbles in the noise

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I have read portions of this thread and the truth be known, it stands my hair on end. The power of that thing is inconceivable. I know that it's been quiet for a while, but I'm reminded of an old saying, It's often quietest before the storm.
The quiet I find unnerving.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Weren't there 2 earthquakes (3.2 and a 3.6 mags) yesterday, over kinda close...to that area......?
edit on 12-2-2012 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Mega volcanoes 'may be predicted'

The eruption of some of the largest volcanoes on the planet could be predicted several decades before the event, according to researchers.

Analysis of rock crystals from the Greek island of Santorini suggests eruptions are preceded by a fast build-up of magma underground, which might be detected using modern instrumentation.

Such volcanoes can produce enough ash and gas to temporarily change the global climate.

bbc.co.uk

I think this may help ...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
My mom just told me that a guy she works with told her that his friend, who's a seismologist, called him needing him to take care of his dog because he had to go out to Yellowstone right away, but couldn't tell him why.
Anyone heard of any similar stories?

This may be nothing, but I figured I'd better post it in the event that it is significant.
I'll let everyone know if I hear anything more.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
My mom just told me that a guy she works with told her that his friend, who's a seismologist, called him needing him to take care of his dog because he had to go out to Yellowstone right away, but couldn't tell him why.
Anyone heard of any similar stories?

This may be nothing, but I figured I'd better post it in the event that it is significant.
I'll let everyone know if I hear anything more.

It's probably nothing more than one of the techs getting called out to service a station. However, that said, I did go and take a deep look into some stations in Yellowstone, saw a couple things, and have an email in. I will report back with any info obtained. Unless I can't. And if I can't then run. Fast.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks for checking that out. I'll be interested to see what the return email says.
I find it strange that they'd send a seismologist from Florida to check out a substation though, but thanks for the response.

new topics

top topics

<< 700  701  702    704  705  706 >>

join