It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 700
<< 697  698  699    701  702  703 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Wow

700 pages

This has to be the biggest and most greatest resource about the Yellowstone caldera on the net

Hope that uplift chart was wrong

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Time to get an updated avatar Puterman. Yours is 334 pages old!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nidwin

If you are meaning the big mass of wobbly jelly on the one below that is the Mag 6.8 in the Banda Sea going through on a broadband or a long period instrument such as the LISS recorders. This is also the red line on the short period instruments.

LKWY.US.00.BHZ.2011.242

Interestingly it is not actually on all of them. Mm.

edit on 30/8/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Here it is on an LH channel LKWY.US.00.LHZ.2011.242

I do believe that the second part of the wobbles is it coming round again! I can't see anything else that would do that unless it is the ........... no not big enough.

reply to post by zenius

Nice to see you are still around. I have not seen you posting lately.

You had me going there - I thought we had got to page 1000 and I had not noticed!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Oh, you have changed it already. I'm still around, just got too busy to enjoy any ats leisure time for a while. Hope I haven't missed too much tectonic activity!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Here is her monthly report for August.

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:20 PM MDT (Thursday, September 1, 2011 21:20 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

During the month of August 2011, 25 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park region. The largest was a magnitude 2.0 event on August 10 at 10:46 AM MDT, located about 18 miles northeast of Fishing Bridge, WY. No swarms were recorded in August.

Earthquake activity continues at relatively low background levels.

Ground Deformation Summary: A strong seasonal signal, probably related to last winter's extraordinary (~200% of normal) snowfall, is apparent on many of the GPS records in and well outside Yellowstone. This signal complicates interpretation of the GPS data, but detailed analysis indicates that caldera subsidence, which began about 1.5 years ago, likely persists. YVO scientists are working to understand the nature of the unusual signal, and will continue to monitor it carefully.

Source - USGS - Yellowstone Recent Status Report

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Anyone want too guess,, whats going on in the Check/German border??
looking for anyone who might be familiar with patterns,,,

boy thats some pattern???

edit on 5-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Okay, anyone know exactly what this means...

"Ground Deformation Summary: A strong seasonal signal, probably related to last winter's extraordinary (~200% of normal) snowfall, is apparent on many of the GPS records in and well outside Yellowstone. This signal complicates interpretation of the GPS data, but detailed analysis indicates that caldera subsidence, which began about 1.5 years ago, likely persists. YVO scientists are working to understand the nature of the unusual signal, and will continue to monitor it carefully."

I did a quick search and figure it's "crustal displacement due to water loading".
If I'm off base please correct me.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

GPS records in and well outside Yellowstone. This signal complicates interpretation of the GPS data,

GPS global position,,

depth ??? i always assumed surface depth.

depends how far the GPS DATA SIGNAL
penetrates.
i always assumed. surface.

singal = location markers moved.

crustal?
mantle?
mountain ranges?
the hole at yellowstone?

not enough info on the DATA

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
But she is soooo quiet,.
a few, but tiny,..
shhhhhhhhh

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

A strong seasonal signal, probably related to last winter's extraordinary (~200% of normal) snowfall, is apparent on many of the GPS records in and well outside Yellowstone.

Hi Robin, yes ice on the GPS antenna gives false readings - a seasonal signal. This happens on Grimsvotn in Iceland as well. Probably in other but that is the only one I know about.

On Grims it makes it look as if there is inflation when there is not.

edit on 20/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Not that quiet. There have been several quakes, but marked as Western Montana and not Yellowstone.

The lates I could find was at Hebgen Lake:
M 1.5, western Montana
Date: Monday, September 26, 2011 05:53:54 UTC
Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:53:54 PM at epicenter
Depth: 6.30 km (3.91 mi)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
looks like 700 pages was enough for yellowstone.... the grant lady went into an deep sleep?? :-)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
And without further ado from our sleepy Momma? the latest anticipated update :-)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Monday, October 3, 2011 10:54 AM MDT (Monday, October 3, 2011 16:54 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

During the month of September 2011, 45 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park region. The largest was a magnitude 2.5 event on September 5 at 12:59 PM MDT, located about 8 miles west northwest of West Yellowstone, MT. No swarms were recorded in September.

Earthquake activity continues at relatively low background levels.
Ground Deformation Summary: A strong seasonal signal, probably related to last winter's extraordinary (~200% of normal) snowfall, is apparent on many of the GPS records in and well outside Yellowstone. This signal complicates interpretation of the GPS data, but detailed analysis indicates that caldera subsidence, which began about 1.5 years ago, likely persists. YVO scientists are working to understand the nature of the unusual signal, and will continue to monitor it carefully.

Please see: www.uusatrg.utah.edu... for a map of GPS stations in the Yellowstone vicinity. For a graph of daily GPS positions at White Lake, within the Yellowstone caldera, please see:
pboweb.unavco.org...×eries=raw

Source

I appears to me that I am not the only one perplexed by the Ground Uplift- Folks - Jake - I am sorry, while yes, the record snowfall/water levels of last year "could have" moved the instruments - - - by summers end, they would have dropped back to subsidence levels - This has NOT happened - try again :-)

edit on 3-10-2011 by Anmarie96 because: uplift you fool

edit on 3-10-2011 by Anmarie96 because: Once again this evening - forgot the dreaded source - terms and condition ya know

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Nor am I able to check on the temperature data recently. Such as Steamboat. volcanoes.usgs.gov...
I can find no data available at any of the monitoring stations. Curious

I will start checking more frequently.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theriteway

Nor am I able to check on the temperature data recently. Such as Steamboat. volcanoes.usgs.gov...
I can find no data available at any of the monitoring stations. Curious

I will start checking more frequently.

Temps are partially back online . Nothing major to report. GrayLakes had an interesting bump up in temperature on the monthly graph. volcanoes.usgs.gov...
edit on 10/5/2011 by Theriteway because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Forgive I havent followed this thread all the way here is a nice article relating to possible causes of super-volcano eruptions

Researcher Patricia Gregg explains the process: "You can compare it to cracks forming on the top of baking bread as it expands. As the magma chamber pressurizes at depth, cracks form at the surface to accommodate the doming and expansion. Eventually, the cracks grow in size and propagate downward toward the magma chamber. In the case of very large volcanoes, when the cracks penetrate deep enough, they can rupture the magma chamber wall and trigger roof collapse and eruption."

source

nice read check it out

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I also found a brief article on Supervolcanic eruptions i thought i would share, although this thread is much more informative lol...

Read it here.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have been searching for a map that shows the current position of the magma plume/chamber in relationship to the Yellowstone caldera. The crust is moving over the hot spot and I am curious how far 'off center' (can't think of the term I want) it is. At some point in the future the crust will move far enough and a new volcano/caldera will be created. Anyone ever hazard a guess when and where it will be?

Between the sensationalism and incorrect information on the net I haven't found this kind of information.

Thanks in advance for any useful information, and have a great day.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by underdogradio

Here you go - follow the path

Source

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Thank you for the map. But I've seen it before and other forms of it. I am looking for a map or something that shows the actual position of the magma plume and chamber in relationship to the Yellowstone caldera. I cannot find the one saw a months ago (it may have been on TV) but it shows the plume is no longer under Yellowstone magma chamber but shifted to the northeast which follows the map you posted.

I can find images of what the plume and magma chamber look like but nothing that has a map of Yellowstone on top of it. To show how far the chamber has drifted away from the plume.

new topics

top topics

<< 697  698  699    701  702  703 >>

join