It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 623
<< 620  621  622    624  625  626 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by alexgia

Here's thelink for the live Old Faithful Cam.

The USGS, UofU and YNP have just published - within past few days a new Protocol for Geologic Hazards Response the Park. You will find the Article Here

Here is the full report

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by alexgia

Here's thelink for the live Old Faithful Cam.

The USGS, UofU and YNP have just published - within past few days a new Protocol for Geologic Hazards Response the Park. You will find the Article Here

Here is the full report

Hey did you notice at the bottom of the camera shot in the little box, it talks of weather conditions but the date says " last updated July 29th"
oh and there was just a 4.2

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The webcam is not live. This image is updated already for the hundredth time. It is always the same image

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The live webcam has a message stating it is out of service till the request for a new one is filled.
Bummer

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Aftershock, this time too big to wait on map placement:

3.2 2010/08/05 17:45:20 43.596 -110.550 7.0 22 km ( 14 mi) NE of Jackson, WY

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

For some reason my computer won't allow me to read the (Full Report). Can you give me another avenue to review it, or could you just give me a short rundown on what it exactly means to me and others as far as getting up to date information acurately.
The way I read the short version, I understood it to say they will tell us something when "THEY" think its something we should know.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am so frustrated with the UofU. You can see from their intermountain west earthquake list:
www.seis.utah.edu...

That they will list even very tiny .5 magnitude quakes, but then in the Tetons, it seems nothing below a 3.0 is worthy.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

I am only a 5 pages into the full report. On the short report page on the right hand side is a link to the pdf report to down load and view. So far into the report - it gives alot of info on the organizations in charge - it also give different links to infomation centers. I would definitely suggest reading the report.

It also states here quakewatcher -

A combination of equipment operated and maintained by many groups inside and outside the YVO partnership is used for real-time monitoring of the Yellowstone volcano. The UUSS maintains seismic stations of the Yellowstone Seismographic Network and locates earthquakes with the data generated by that network. The UUSS operates its regional seismic network as part of the Advanced National Seismic System (ANSS). Within the ANSS framework, earthquakes throughout the U.S. larger than about M3.0 are located by the USGS National Earthquake Information Center (NEIC), which operates on a 24/7 basis, providing backup to the UUSS and other ANSS regional seismic networks. The NEIC operates a small, but modern seismic network in the Teton Range, just south of Yellowstone. The Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology (MBMG) seismic network locates earthquakes in Montana.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

So what does that all mean
and why would it be of concern?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Im just confused as to why every single yellowstone camera is frozen on a still image. None of them are actually live right now.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

It is basically stating that 3.0 is automatic on the map - and as we know - it takes time for the smaller quakes to be added - because no one is there to update.

Also - from the report - one for us as requested :

After consultation with the YVO coordinating scientists, the Scientist-in-Charge may declare a formal event response. In doing so, he/she will release an information statement that includes details of the geological or geophysical activity and, if appropriate, a pronouncement that YVO will initiate increased monitoring during the period of unrest. Not all event responses will result in a change in alert level or aviation color code. However, all event responses will trigger release by YVO of daily information statements to keep the public informed until the event response is complete.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I take Yellowstone as a serious concern, but does anything that is below a 3 something to worry about?

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Not in my opinion - if they are here and there. I am also sure (I would think) - that if something were going on people would be called in (um yes it says that in this report about calling people in) and the quakes would most likely be put in the list first and then on the map - when she has her swarms, it would be pretty hard to keep up with all the data and then you might as well color the park in red. It would be really hard to differentiate all of them on the map - don't you think?

Upon raising the volcano alert level beyond Normal/Green, the YVO Branch Chief will assign a duty scientist and a deputy scientist. The duty scientist assignment will be filled 24/7 and will be rotated among the coordinating scientists, group supervisors, and team leaders, so that someone is always responsible for evaluating the latest monitoring data. The deputy scientist would be a USGS employee who would assist the YVO Branch Chief on a variety of responsibilities, including communications and calldowns (see Section 4d). During an event response when the volcano alert level remains at Normal/Green, the assignment of staff to both the duty scientist and the deputy scientist positions is at the discretion of the YVO Branch Chief

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

OK,. Well I don't need them, cause I have you guys as my source of information.

Keep up the good work

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'm sure everyone is aware that the earthquake hazard in the Teton–Yellowstone region is the highest in the U.S. Inter-mountain region. It is not only influenced by lithospheric extension associated with Basin-Range tectonism that extends 700 km west to the Sierra Nevada Mountains, California, but it has the superposition of the effects of Yellowstone volcanic sources that can perturb stresses up to 50 km from the Yellowstone hot spot track.

Looking at those quakes outside Jackson and it looks like they are located north of the Cache Creek Thrust Fault, closer to the Gros Ventre Range. Question is, would they affect Yellowstone?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
www.isthisthingon.org...

Magnitude 3.3 WYOMING
Date-Time Friday, August 06, 2010 at 15:34:18 UTC
Friday, August 06, 2010 at 09:34:18 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.624°N, 110.510°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region WYOMING
Distances 25 km (15 miles) NE of Jackson, Wyoming
70 km (45 miles) W of Dubois, Wyoming
95 km (60 miles) SSE of Old Faithful, Wyoming
545 km (340 miles) WNW of CHEYENNE, Wyoming

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.1 km (3.8 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 43, Nph= 43, Dmin=7.6 km, Rmss=1.18 sec, Gp= 50°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010zqb2

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Are this aftershocks now .. or foreshocks!?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Aside from that 3.3 a little while ago, the local seismograph has been looking a lot calmer today than it has since the action started.

This may just be your garden variety tectonic quake and aftershock sequence, starting to wind down.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher
Definitely rocking with aftershocks right now.

quake.utah.edu...

4:16 4:20 4:22 UTC

UofU seems to like to do this thing where they don't put anything on the map until it's over a day old, therefore you never see anything but yellow squares and you don't notice activity as much.

Don't wish to be a spoil sport but those are probably bison flatulence. That instrument is set at 100 mV and will show everything, including tree roots rocking and bison copulating etc.

Make sure you look at the instrument sensitivity before jumping to conclusions about aftershocks. As I said, they are most likely tiny and possibly not quakes.

Here is MOOW for 6th Aug on the BHZ channel MOOW.IW..BHZ.2010.218

reply to post by Austria

Now those were pathetic!
If you want to see that 3.3 really show up on the traces try this one!

TPAW.IW..BHZ.2010.219

[edit on 7/8/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I don't know if it has gone unnoticed here, but there have been a number of "smaller" quakes in the same area as the M 7.9, Denali earthquake in November 03, 2002 that started Yellowstone National Park's energetic swarm of triggered earthquakes.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I hope I also could give my opinion?

I do worry even for "smaller" quakes because of the different kinds of damage any given quake in Yellowstone would do. The damage a M3 would do depends not only on the strength of the quake, but also the distance, depth and type of underlying rock or soil.

Then we have to take in to consideration that the direction of rupture also influence the size of the impact and also factors such as topography and rock type can focus seismic energy in different ways. Seismic energy gets focused in the same direction as the direction of rupture – a kind of Doppler shift. So if you are unlucky enough to be in the line of fire, then even a magnitude 3.0 earthquake may hit you with the force of a much bigger quake.

And finally, the way they measure the strength of a quake.
The Modified Mercalli Intensity Scale (MMI) — a 12-point scale that represents the intensity of ground-shaking, or destructiveness of an earthquake and then we have the Richter scale, a logarithmic scale; an increase of one in magnitude corresponds to a ten-fold increase in the amplitude of shaking.

top topics

<< 620  621  622    624  625  626 >>

join