It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 510
<< 507  508  509    511  512  513 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Looking at YPK, it looks there have been several medium distance earthquake over January 24 (UTC time), probably from around 400 Km (difference between P and S wave = around 50 seconds). The only problem is that I can't see any corresponding earthquake in the USGS lists.

There's also the possibility they're reflected waves from earthquakes occurred earlier, but I don't have any idea of how things work there.

From 21:02-21:18 UTC on January 24 at YPK there have been five of those earthquakes, all from the same distance. On YPK webicorder you can see clearly the first one, other ones are very hard to see. It's easier from a spectrometer.

I have no idea from where these signals could come from. They seem to be more clear on webicorders on the northeast area of the park though, so that might be a hint. The "400 Km" distance is another recurring thing, but again I'm really not sure here. They might be reflections or I may be calculating the distance wrongly.

[edit on 2010-1-24 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Also, you say you have a hunch something bigger is about to happen, and I keep thinking back to this thread I did in August 2009 about concern for increasing and intensifying Caribbean Plate activity, as possibly a precursor to something bigger. And four/five months later, we get Haiti. Close to the activity, but not right on it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So here we have all this activity at MR, and yet out of the blue it seems a 3.6 strikes in Teton. Close to the activity, but not right on it. The big 1959 quake struck not too far from the current activity at Yellowstone. But it seems nothing really big has happened over on the other side of the park in a very long time- so my hunch is that either far north east (YPK) or south (Teton area) is probably due. Just saying....

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Shirakawa - do your calculations with the data from back door entrances. USGS is I am sure as always "quieting things down" - I find it very offensive that we use to get information directly from UofU/YVO then posted on USGS - with this latest ongoing swarm - all infomation is first posted on USGS then on the original source (after revision from the USGS)

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

I have to say... I've been skimming other blogs and forums and the level of hysteria, ignorance, disinformation and pure hype is so out there that I don't blame those responsible for collecting the data for analyzing it first... I was on one site and some clown had everyone in a frenzy because he was claiming and posting the existence of harmonic tremors... As I could easily point out from last year's events, it was simple wind noise... And yet he had several dozen people convinced...

The power of speculation and disinformation is powerful in this Twitterverse we have today... Sad that many confuse hype and fact and aren't responsible enough to be measured and restrained with information, but such is the world we live in. I don't think there is a vast conspiracy to control or hide information... I simply think that rational scientists want to see it first so they can mitigate any runaway panics that result from someone wrongly interpreting data they haven't looked at.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
TrueAmerican, is what's going on right now on GEE the kind of strange activity that you're referring to? Sure looks odd to me...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

By the way, with VASE I've been able to find out that the source of those signals is indeed about 400 Km east from Yellowstone, and it's between TA.I23A and TA.J23A stations. They don't really look (or sound) like earthquakes when analyzed with a spectrometer, probably they're mine blasts (I know sometimes nuclear devices are used).

So, nothing related to the volcano.
About the "hunch" I had, that was about something like around M3.0 as a consequence of all those very small earthquakes, but probably I got it wrong.

As for Pantagele, the earthquake source, as YVO says, should be tectonic.

[edit on 2010-1-24 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

No, not at all- when you see everything big and thick like that, it's actually quiet. That's what we WANT to see, lol. What I saw today in GEE was very close to HT signature, spread out across multiple stations- long, steady, consistent type of amplitude.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Oh no, not those people again.

Yeah, now that's possible- a mine blast signature over that distance can read very much like a solo shot HT... Aight, thanks.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Probably not coincidentally, there are some very large coal mines near Gilette, WY. and they're approximately 400km from Yellowstone. As far as I know they use ANFO for blasting and do it during the day. Could be wrong about that though.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by sageturkey]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Ahhh Thanks TA!

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

That would actually explain these signals perfectly!
Case closed

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Oh no, you are very right about that my friend, and I forgot cause it's been a while, but I had my run in before with that very issue and those very people in Gillette. Man oh man. As soon as Shirakawa said anything about TA. I23A, it all came back. It's a long story, but suffice it say that yes, certain mine blasts from Gillette will absolutely affect seismographs at Yellowstone- adding even more confusion to the mess. Mental note: day watching beware. Nice thing is, they quit around 5 or 6 pm.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Do you work for the USGS? - Hype - We are just discussing / Evaluating what we see is happening with our earth
Has nothing do with scaring people. Sorry if we did that to you :-( - Just always remember - always good to be informed so that we may make informed desicions

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

I just found a good source of information regarding industrial explosions as seismic sources. I was looking for more info on the mines near Gillette. I saw a special on the History Channel about them, they said that when they blast, it sets off seismographs in Russia even.

www.geology.smu.edu...

[edit on 24-1-2010 by sageturkey]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Aha; another big one... and right on time. This one should be almost 3.0...... the quieter it gets, the more I worry.

3.1, it says. And B207 just went dead again... hmm...

[edit on 1/25/2010 by Thought Provoker]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Another double... I'll guess 2.5 on the second one...

Just for the record, at PB.B207, that 3.1 showed up as about 27 microns/sec.

Awe bummer, It came in at exactly 2.5 and then they revised it up to a 2.9, lol... oh well, in the ballpark you could say.
BUT I didn't have the benefit of PB.B207 station to compare it to though, cause it froze after the first one- so cut me some slack!

[edit on Mon Jan 25th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Another one around a 3.0 is my guess.

Anyone have a theory on the clockwork like earthquake occurrences?

Is there any chance it is hydro-thermally caused? Maybe a big deep geyser has awoken?

OK, skip that once I typed it I realised how stupid it was.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Observation: I noted yesterday that the "big" 3.0+, the majority, where happening in the evening. Once again it seemed like it was going to quiet down and pow. No speculation yet, it's just unnerving. I stayed up late tonight cause I figured it would happen again and did. What's happening at Yellowstone?
The squeal...

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Well... it was roughly when the moon was overhead, today at least; haven't checked other days.

edit: oh, I'm so wrong. I was looking at UTC and thinking it was Mountain time. The moon was nowhere near overhead...

[edit on 1/25/2010 by Thought Provoker]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
ok now wait a sec here, this can't be right...They have the first one now at 3.0 and the second at 3.1. But here's the problem: I just looked at the epicenters, and they are literally within 200 ft of each other, that close.

First one registers 27 microns/sec at PB.B207, and around 12 microns/sec at H17A. Second one registers only 17 microns/sec at PB.B207, and around just 8 at H17A. Now would someone please explain how the second one could be more intense than the first? Nuh uh, unless- could be something to do with the ground motion on the horizontal channels- I'm only monitoring verticals. Weird.

top topics

<< 507  508  509    511  512  513 >>

join