It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 447
<< 444  445  446    448  449  450 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
One last thought regarding Mike's reasearch. I humbly disagree, and believe there is a predictable, regular eruption schedule. But that's been covered pages ago.

Hi Robin,

first of thanks for your comments in your post prior to the one I'm quoting here. There is certainly a lot to muse about and you have a good slant on it.

Regarding your comments quoted above, I'm quite okay with you disagreeing. After all I don't know much and it's not really my research anyway. It's just the general consensus among experts in this particular case, far as I've been able to find out -- from reports a bit more detailed than the stuff we find on the Wiki. Granted, experts aren't always right, though.

As you might know, I'm all in favour of advancing methods of prediction (though my main focus has been earthquakes), but even while there are methods to forecast imminent volcanic eruptions with some accuracy -- and I posted about that way back -- in respect of Yellowstone there doesn't seem to be much to go on to make such a call right now. Besides the lack of volcanic tremor at present, to my mind this is partly because the so-called "super volcano" is such a rare beast and perhaps assumptions being made about how it should/could behave are erroneous or at least somewhat misguided. I suspect even many experts are really not too sure if they can reliably apply common assumptions to this case.

As I said, I'm happy to consider and discuss anything that might bring us closer to understanding this amazing and complex place. I reckon we all are, really. If Yellowstone exhibits a regular eruption schedule, then I'd be most interested in the basis of that regularity. I assume you are basing your belief in this regularity on something beyond the data from the previous three major eruptions. I also understand (I hope!
) that "regular" doesn't have to mean "equal time intervals". Perhaps it refers to "determinable time intervals" in this case? Would that be about right?

As for the good old LKWY webicorder... Yep, it was reassuring in some ways when it went on the fritz again after registering that larger quake three days back.
Something is ailing that poor little sensor-gizmo. But you know, I kind of like those little caterpillar things. In a way it'll be a pity when they finally fix it and they'll be gone.

Maybe they'll just turn into seismobutterflies and fly away in the spring...

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Hi alysha,

good to see you back. Sorry I didn't catch you yesterday.

Yes, they are a bit slow with updating those quakes, but I think this has become pretty much the norm for Yellowstone now. I would think that since the last swarm, the seismologists have been taking their time to make sure they gather as much data as possible and fully analyse everything. They are also well aware that many people are still watching and it doesn't look good to post quakes then take them down again (delete them) after finding out that they weren't quakes after all. Slow and sure seems the best way I guess.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
well not a geologist (altho i am educated) but i do follow things and this may be off topic about yellowstone but there does seem to be swarms of earthquakes in places recently that usually don't get alot.
we had a few here in pa. and we rarely get them.
on another thread it's about australia- theyhave had alot in the past few days compared to normal(and the whales beaching themselves as a precursor)
i know having lived in alaska they have quakes every day- as does yellowstone- and the ring of fire- etc.
my question is it possible that somehow beneath the earth there are workings noone one knows about and somehow these can all be interconnected in some way?

that makes a whole lotta sence to me , since under the surffice of the oceans landmasses ect ect the earth is connected of which holds it all together. .

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

i got some back reading to catch up on , and no time to do it in.

and im currently priceing a few textbooks of which i hope will be informative.
geophysics and advanced math.

its good to be back, and thank you for the welcome back.

[edit on 9/3/09 by alysha.angel]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Over the last 16 million years or so, the hot-spot responsible for Yellowstone has created a chain of calderas. It had been erupting approximately every 2 million years. That's very regular on a geological clock. And that's very frequent. But that was until 2 million years ago when things seem to change. Or it's the usual stuff and there is gaps in the geologic record when it comes to the older calderas. At one point the direction shifted backward and a smaller eruption created a caldera 1.2 mya. I'm not sure what has been different over the last 2 million years. I've been wondering about it for a while now.
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

As for predicting the next one, I was using my Hudson Bay model to find the fault which was rupture.
www.youtube.com...
I thought you may have already watched this, so I only briefly alluded to it because I had posted it a few pages back and wanted wind-down now that the volcano relaxed.

And I think I have an answer to my own questions. I think the lake levels are directly related to earthquakes. One record setting year was 1962. In 1959 there was the Hebgen Earthquake.

en.wikipedia.org...
It created a lake and the Army Engineers had to blast a channel in the landslide that formed a dam. If the water table had major changes, this would account for the excess in 1962. The water table was not draining as quickly because of the shifting mantle. It would have restricted the flow out of the park. The next record year was 1986 and the lake outflow was high in March. If the swarm of November of 1985 changed the channels in the aquifer, this would explain why Yellowstone Lake was overflowing like a forgotten old fashioned bathtub in March'86. I firmly believe today's lake levels are tied to the earthquake swarms.

And yes Shirakawa, I noticed the quakes in the lake. It would appear that they are in the channel toward West Thumb. I don't like the lake quaking.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by Robin Marks]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
heres a recent one (its from today) for LKWY

i got bored

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yea, what's up with that - huge gust of wind? flock of mega-geese taking off? YMR kinda funky as well, perhaps they moved the generator shed a little closer.. :-)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
LKWY looks like she's gettin jiggy wit it.. :-)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by akjen
Yea, what's up with that - huge gust of wind? flock of mega-geese taking off? YMR kinda funky as well, perhaps they moved the generator shed a little closer.. :-)

megageese imao oo thats a good one. no me thinks its none of those things , late winter blizard , avalanch?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't think that was an earthquake.
LKWY has had similar traces other times in the past, they could be man- or animal-made, or simply a system glitch.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
I don't think that was an earthquake.
LKWY has had similar traces other times in the past, they could be man- or animal-made, or simply a system glitch.

thats why i suggested a blizzard or avalanch

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

The last time there was a similiar trace was on February 27th. It followed a reconfiguration pattern. At the time I wondered if it was a test. In recent days LKWY has been offline and this may be a test. Both signals were first thing in the morning. My other thought was geese. And you don't need MegaGeese to cause an earsplitting racket. The signal doesn't appear on any other monitor.

What follows is just my thinking outloud.
I found an interesting article, and although I don't entertain conspiracies by design, it references a possible link with an earthquake and a dam. Imagine a reservoir of water causing an earthquake!? (Anyone who's been following my rants will know instantly this is sarcasm.) I'm not sure if it's the case as speculated in China, but the hypothetical question is being seriously discussed in scientific circles. The premise of the story is about using earthquakes as weapons. Whatever the case, the article makes a good read.

www.alternet.org...'ll_probably_find_out_soon_enough/

I've recently stated that I am comfortable with the wild readings at LKWY. But now my head scratching is reserved for the water monitoring. The lake's flat-lining. Has it had a heart attack? Or an ice jam? But why would an ice jam effect the height gauge? The monitors can't be in the same place, so it's a problem with relaying information. No wonder the geologist's like monitoring for the YVO. There's always something happening in the park. And not just the quakes. There's uplift, weather, mutant geese, forest fires, avalanches, geyers, and technical glitches emitted by their antiquated equipment. I wonder if they've captured any identifiable, and confirmed, animal noises on the webicorder graphs? Like the call of a randy bison, or a itchy grizzly using the siesmo-station as a scratching post.

waterdata.usgs.gov...

I think it's called an addendum. Yellowstone seems to be contented and quiet at the moment, and so is Redoubt. They've changed the colour code. They're now at yellow.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by Robin Marks]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
thank you alysha for the reply.
in the greater theme of things it does kind of make sense to me. sorry i am very analytical and try to figure out other possibilitiies. just some people are to closeminded to even think about it

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

I'm not sure these helicorders will help but I've found them to be useful. Try http:mbmgquake.mtech.edu/earthworm/waveef_disp/welcome.html The Redlodge long period does some strange things once in awhile and you might try your analytical tools on some of that data. The Dillon short period is also useful. I don't believe that any of these seismographs have been detuned like the ones from UofU since the events of Dec/Jan
I enjoy reading all of the posts and hopefully can be of some help to others

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hello everyone. This is interesting.
I guess for some this may sometimes be used
as an indicator or predictor of earth changes.

Yellowstone Alga Found To Detoxify Arsenic

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I am wondering why the quake in this CNN article is not showing up on any of the quake maps????

cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Because it's only a generator shed! Shhhhuu... :-)

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
They like to fire it up once in a while except when LKWY shows activity then they just remove..the activity all together so no one can see what's really happening at Yellowstone :-)..
Ironic hu? Anyhow.. The code of pipes and pipecleaners; gesh and I thought we were talking about a volcano without an active pipe...or.. to hell w/ electromagnetics altogether.. USGS will tell us all we REALY need to know.. edit anyone?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by akjen
They like to fire it up once in a while except when LKWY shows activity then they just remove..the activity all together so no one can see what's really happening at Yellowstone :-)..
Ironic hu? Anyhow.. The code of pipes and pipecleaners; gesh and I thought we were talking about a volcano without an active pipe...or.. to hell w/ electromagnetics altogether.. USGS will tell us all we REALY need to know.. edit anyone?

what is ATS again?

its fine as it is . since when did the US gov really care about people lives anyway? as far as i know not in the last 150 years

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Come on a 6.2 hits near Panama City and nothing is on the maps?! I know they like to quickly clear some off their maps, did anyone see this one though earlier on Thursday before they did?

new topics

top topics

<< 444  445  446    448  449  450 >>

join