It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 405
<< 402  403  404    406  407  408 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by akjen

I admit it'd be interesting to see full out pipe cleaners in the Redoubt monitors
I think I can see what you mean though.

I've a web friend who in Alaska somewhere near the coast, he's a school bus driver of all things.
SO with luck he /no one is not gonna get ashed.

Speaking of pipe cleaners lol, they are back at LKWY.

If I was the tech I'd be going mad I think.

M.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by Moshpet]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hi

A little activity right??? www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrathier

Just one very small earthquake (maybe).
The rest is probably wind, it's been snowing hard in Yellowstone during the past hours. You can check both wind and snow on the Old Faithful webcam page.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Big Quakes Trigger Small Quakes

Seismologists Find Large Earthquakes Can Trigger Smaller Ones In Unlikely Locations

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think the 5.8 magnitude earthquake in Alaska from a few minutes ago triggered a very small earthquake in Yellowstone about five minutes later after it showed itself on seismic stations there. Really nothing relevant, but yes, distant strong earthquakes do trigger smaller ones elsewhere!

[edit on 2009/1/26 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
one big mutha.

i'd bet a large percentage of us would smother on mud from the explosion and its spread of debris in the air.
our lungs would fill with dust/mud as you breathed.

could create a dark and chili planet for a while.
damn, sorry for doom and gloom perpetuation. not my intend.

[edit on 12/28/2008 by zooplancton]

I don't think it would be that bad - for everyone, but anything within a 600 miles radius would be toast, and then the ash will fall and stack on houses/building across the United States depending on wind direction. Normal weather patterns will take the cloud East and South. Although ash will be bad for our lungs it is really bad for houses and buidling; when mixed with rain it will become extremely heavy and most houses and building will collapse.

My dates may be off but from what I remember scientists say the Super Volcanoe in Yellowstone has errupted several times in the past, every 600,000 years or so with the last known eruption just over 600,000 years ago.

The ash from the last erruption may have killed hundreds of Dinosaurs in Nebreska. Take a look at a map and notice the distance from Yellowstone to Nebraska, not exactly neighbors.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Interesting, look at this first map, it was from Jan 17th with the two quakes that happened along the borders of Montana to Utah and Colorado.

I will then put in todays map.

Now take a look at this map from today. It does not show the other 2 quakes the map above showed, but take a look at what is happening in Utah!

Once you take a look, do you see how there are lines of quakes that were going up to the 2 quakes that are shown on the map above?

My point and question in pointing these lines out is...... is it possible that magma could be moving? Isn't it unusual for Utah to get this many earthquakes in one weeks time? I have never seen so many on the map before.

So could magma be moving from all the way down there, they are spider lines coming up to Montana.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I looked at the quakes via Google Earth. In Utah part of it seemed like it was following a visible terrain feature so there may be a fault loosening up in that area.

M.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

After looking at the recent earthquake map, almost daily, for several years, I definately see a circular feature, about 600 miles wide, in the Pacific Northwest earthquake patterns. It also shows up as a landscape feature on Google Maps. It covers from Washington, almost to Canada, Idaho, over through Montana, down to Yellowstone Park, down through Wyoming and Utah, part way into Nevada and California, then back to Oregon. Have any of you ever noticed this feature?

If impact craters may have possibly effected the geological formation of mountain ranges, such as the Ural Mountain Range in Russia, could a giant impact crater in the Pacific Northwest also effect the geological formation of the Cascades and the Rockies? Oil companies do look for circular formation patterns in earthquakes, to locate ancient impact craters, to find oil and gas deposites. At the Panther Mountain Impact Site, fractures along the rim of the impact crater are weaknesses in the rock, which allow water to wear away and create circular patterns in the landscape. Could a giant impact crater also cause huge fractures going deep into the earth's crust, allowing magma to rise up through these weak areas, and create the volcanoes in the Cascade mountains to form a curve along the left side of the impact crater rim? Gigantic Lunar Impact Craters do have vast areas of flood basalt. Could this giant impact crater in the Pacific Northwest be the cause of the Columbia River Flood Basalt which covers 63,000 square miles, and is up to 6,000 feet thick in some areas? Could the giant impact crater also be the cause of the Yellowstone hot spot?

This circular pattern of quakes has shown up on the recent earthquakes map. Sometimes as just part of a circle, and other times as a complete circle of quakes. The last time I saw a complete circle of quakes was on December 17, 2007. Watch the map, and you will see it show up.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
More goodies (from NASA this time) about the ginormous hole in the magnetosphere:

science.nasa.gov...

The opening was huge—four times wider than Earth itself," says Wenhui Li, a space physicist at the University of New Hampshire who has been analyzing the data. Li's colleague Jimmy Raeder, also of New Hampshire, says "1027 particles per second were flowing into the magnetosphere—that's a 1 followed by 27 zeros. This kind of influx is an order of magnitude greater than what we thought was possible.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Lots of information out there about magnetic fields relating to earthquakes!

geomag.usgs.gov...
geology.usgs.gov...
www.gemsys.ca...
pangea.stanford.edu...
Veeeeeeeeeery int'resting!
The different instruments used:
earthquake.usgs.gov...
Article discussing some effects on people
www.heartmath.org...

[edit on 27-1-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Definitely a star for that one!

Here are some sites dealing with magnetic reversal:
www.pureenergysystems.com...
www.newscientist.com...
www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk...
www.psc.edu...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.pbs.org...
news.bbc.co.uk...

It certainly looks as if magnetism detection may play a good part in earthquake prediction in the future.

On another topic - seismograms. I have got my program to a stage where I can take readings from VASE and create a WAVE file from them so we can 'hear' the seismogram.

Not being electronically minded myself, can anyone answer me the question 'How do I change the amplitude of the wave?'

The .wav file plays very quietly and I need to boost the sound somehow so what I need is the technical details of how amplitude affects a waveform.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Not being electronically minded myself, can anyone answer me the question 'How do I change the amplitude of the wave?'

The .wav file plays very quietly and I need to boost the sound somehow so what I need is the technical details of how amplitude affects a waveform.

So you finally managed to create an utility to make wavefiles from seismic data?? Very good! I was waiting for this!

Basic volume boost simply multiplies peaks (both positive and negative) by a fixed value, it's nothing complicated really. Clipping may occur with strong waves, though, so you might want instead to normalize the wavefile (= multiplying amplitude by an X value) so that the highest peak has a volume just below the clipping threshold.

[edit on 2009/1/27 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

We have the Wasatch Fault in Utah.
This video will explain it in detail. Needless to say I am more worried about the Wasatch fault than Yellowstone. Either way I am screwed though.

Sorry if the video is a repost.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Reference the pipe cleaners that keep showing up at LKWY station: We can see that they are rhythmical and have come to the conclusion that they are man-made (like an air compressor or such). One concept was monitoring the air because of the snow mobiles in the area and their exhaust. Now, realizing that most of us on this thread while we may have had an interest in YS in passing probably have not looked at the seismographs on a regular basis so maybe these pipe cleaners are an annual fixture in LKWY. So, I just finished viewing each LKWY seismograph for every day (that I could find) for the month of January for the years 2003-2009 and find that these pipe cleaners only exist in the present.

The closest to pipe cleaners I found can be seen at this hyper link

(thanks to whomever is keeping isthisthingon.org going...awesome place to look at historical readings!)

These pipe cleaners appear to be new to this recent swarm at YS.

Also, the /\/\/\/\/\ kinds of readings on the LKWY station weren't visible in any of the January 200-3-2008 historical graphs. (as seen here)

It was definitely interesting to go back through and see the historical readings....oh, also of note -- in all the graphs I looked at from LKWY each verticle division remained at 500 microvolts.

Has anyone checked the water output for Lake Yellowstone lately? Has it reutnred to normal?

P

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysWondering

Nice job checking out all past recorded LKWY webicorder charts!
As for Yellowstone lake water output, it never stopped increasing, maybe due to snow. Check out this page.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Hi, I was just wondering, people have been talking alot about the effects of a big quake in Alaska on Yellowstone, but what would happen if we got another big one in the New Madrid Seismic zone. One would think that the effects of that would be much more profound, and one isn't entirely out of the question as a minimum 6.0 is expected anytime in the next 40 years.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Just wanted to post that I managed to convert an ascii seismic file from VASE into a wav file (thanks to an ASCII to WAVE converter I found on the internet), but since I did the vase file to proper ascii conversion manually with OpenOffice Calc, it's quite time consuming. It works though!

Screenshot of my results: i44.tinypic.com...

ASCII to Wave utility, C source code included (not made by me): www.tdl-tech.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Thanks for the link to the water discharge. I thought I had that bookmarked but couldn't find it this morning.

I don't know if you have read this pdf document or not. It was posted a while ago on this site (yes, I have read all 405 pages just like the rest of you!) but you might want to take a look at it again. Besides showing what's under Yellowstone Lake, there is a chart on page 113 that talks about the lake levels. (I believe this was talked about a few weeks ago here, so sorry if this is a repeat) I still find it interesting that the lake level increases and releases are tied to the spring months when there is snow melt going on, not in December-January. Also in this pdf is a graph/image of the hydrothermal vents and domes on the floor of the lake (see page 107) and this document even talks about the newly discovered features in YS Lake that pose geographical hazards (see page 117)

I think we should be keeping an eye on the outflow of the lake. I would not be surprised to learn that there is/will continue to be a bulging of the lake floor at YS lake. Now, if we can just get the government to post water temperatures at various points along the lake as well as air readings!

Again, I believe I got the link to this pdf file here (I have been all over the internet reading up on all I can, so maybe it was elsewhere,but I do think it came from ATS), maybe there was so much going on that we didn't read through this volumous pdf...but it is certainly worth the time, if you haven't.

P

[edit on 27-1-2009 by AlwaysWondering]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I have wondered if the circular feature in the landscape of the Pacific Northwest is possibly a 600 mile wide impact crater. So far, it has not been scientifically called an impact crater. If it ever is, it would dwarf all other impact craters on earth.

If you look at the Pacific Northwest on Google Maps ( it shows it better than google earth site), look at it in the satellite view, and click off the names of cities, so you can see it better. It sure looks like an impact crater. Also, the landscape to the South and East of it, look similar to "ejecta blanket" features that I have seen in photos of impact craters on Mars and Venus ( on Google Images) . To the south, the mountain ranges in Nevada are all in rows of lines that seem to be "coming from" that giant circular feature, resembling spokes on a wheel. To the east, it resembles the ejecta patterns looking like fat petal shapes, blown out from an impact crater. Try looking at the Pacific Northwest on Google Maps, and compare it "side by side" to the " ejecta blanket" photos shown on Google Images. The resemblance is striking!

Perhaps this is why the earth's crust is extraordinary thin in the Yellowstone region. Something really gigantic blasted it away.

top topics

<< 402  403  404    406  407  408 >>

join