It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Again, from the official report: "Swarms of this nature are relatively common in this part of Yellowstone Park."

*slips into his fear-mongering proof vest*

Not going to get to me, sorry. I'm in Denver, I'd imagine it would be grim here, too. But it sounds like this is a rather normal event, nothing to get yourself in a fit about. yet.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
All quiet here in Casper. Not sure if there is anyone else closer to Yellowstone that participates in ATS but if not, well I guess I would be the first to let you all know if the shimmers start shaking things off the walls.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
That many quakes at Yellowstone is not abnormal... calm down guys, it depends on the mag. of these quakes. If there was 14 3.5 quakes and above with at least one being a 6 then I'd start to look, but most of the time quakes let of pressure and help stabalize the area.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

Seismologists say that Lake Yellowstone will drain shortly before the caldera blows. Is the lake level dropping any?

That supervolcano erupts every 600,000 years, give or take.........the last time it erupted was about 620,000 years ago.....so we are definitely due.

I was at Yellowstone a couple of years back. Nice lodge and resort they have there. Hope the have a crapload of insurance...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I just did a google search on this. I didn't find anything different from what has already been posted. What I did find though is how much I appreciate this site. Many of the links were to other sites of similar nature as ATS, with one huge exception. The amount of posts where people were comparing their dreams and "feelings" about this being the end of the world. How grateful I am for this place where things are generally discussed with reason and logic.

I don't see how this can be nothing. Yet even if they knew the top was going to blow off and we are headed to a global disaster, they would not even warn people. Time will tell that is for sure.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Another light one occurred in about the same spot at 8:37 AM:

2.4 2008/12/28 08:37:41 44.523N 110.370W 0.4 60 km (37 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This is not normal but it is also normal in many ways. I had land in Emigrant Valley and while there in the summer of 97 we had quite a few as well. The area of course is very unstable to say the least. It is though from my point of view an area where it is leetiong off pressuer constantly.

A park Ranger said to me once that if Old Faithful starts changing patterns then we should start to be concerned. I havent looked at the webcam of her for awhile but you can bet with all the snowmobilers and winter campers that you would know if she was acting differntley.

There are so many vents in the area that are in constant change and always letting off steam. The one thing from being there for many trips was that you really get the gut wrenching feeling that your on the edge of hell.

Other then that what I see is the caldron is acting up and for you that dont know a large part of it is under Yellowstone lake. I believe they have meters of some sort that also watch for the lake rising.

I will make some calls to friends that live in Gardiner and get the scoop.

reply to post by Shirakawa

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Heres a link to old faithful webcam
www.nps.gov...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is going to sound ridiculous - but here in San Francisco last night it was eerily quiet. Absolutely no wind or fog. The water was so calm you could see all the lights on the Bay which is really unusual. And no animal sounds - I live up on Twin Peaks and we can hear all the sounds of the city usually - it was a Saturday night and when I got out of my car the silence hit me. So much that when I came up stairs I told my family to go outside and see how weird and quiet it was. Extremely little traffic in our view for a Saturday, holiday night too.

It's cold here though - not what we call earth quake weather - and many say that's not a true indicator either.

There are a lot of birds and animals around where we live, crows, flocks of wild abandoned parrots, mockingbirds, not a peep. My cat on the other hand won't shut up.

Anyone else seeing odd animal reactions anywhere?

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hers a good link as well for Yellowstone lake
FYI: I just called friends in gardiner Montana and they said its been a little shaky but they believe its due to the party the other night! No worries there
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If yellowstone erupts i'ts welcome to the sixth extinction,there is NO escape.A few of us may survive but the world will be like hell on earth.Pray i'ts not in our lifetime.This thing really scares me!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
found this information about earthquake clusters in yellowstone:

The migrating earthquake swarm of 1985
The largest earthquake swarm recorded at Yellowstone since 1973 occurred just northwest of the caldera beginning in October 1985. Over the next several months, more than 3,000 earthquakes struck the upper Madison Valley area—more than 100 of them were felt near West Yellowstone, Montana. Previously, only about 100 total earthquake epicenters had been located in this area. During the 1985 swarm, as many as 100 to 200 events per day occurred from October 16 to 20, and the two largest events (magnitudes 4.9 and 4.3) struck on November 9.

it would seem that, while it's not the "usual" it's not unprecedented either. hopefully, it'll be just another unexplained blip on our radar.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Looking at the link below, it appears this swarm may also be linked to several Alaska quakes.

recent national earthquakes

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by whoshotJR

I am pretty sure the NW would cease to exist if Yellowstone popped. I could be wrong though... I hope I am wrong though....

May the thing is being stimulated by the NWO, I mea its about as god as it gets to messing up the owrld and casing mas starvation, panic and social disorder.
On a side note i recollect reading once in the New Scientist, that if you had the correct type of surf board you could ride that magma. Gd luk!
If that thing does dgo off i would to in adavnce send a message to by fellow American ATS members...
See you later, you will be missed, its been emotional ;-)
kx

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yes you could be right. There have been many over the past weeks that are making me watch a little closer. The ones off Vancouver Island have been acting up again......5.9 and have been acting up at least once a year for a few years now and off the Oregon Coast. Also I see that the Mississippi area has been active as well?
reply to post by liveandlearn

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well, glad to see we're all still here.

Things seem to be quieting down for the moment, and let's hope that it was just a bunch of pressure reducing small quakes. There was two more since last night when I went to bed. But the last 3 were all at identical depth levels, and very close to each other, like the others: .4 km

So tallying, that's 14 quakes in 27 to 28 hours, all within a 2 km area, and all within a 2 km depth of each other, right underneath Yellowstone Lake.

If we start hitting 4's and 5's, even 6's consistently, it could be cause for trouble. But even then it might not be anything. Remember that back in 1959 I think it was they had a real big one, like over 7, and the thing's still sitting there. So I wouldn't really start worrying until there is multiple evidence of something really "abnormal" going on. Right now it seems this is normal in the larger overall context.

We start seeing multiple 6's, 7's and 8's though, and I'd be on the road fast, headed east, as far as you can get, and hopefully with some kind of BOB.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Actually Discovery came out with a movie called "Supervolcano" a while back. The acting was terrible but the science was apparently accurate.

yeah i've seen that "movie" and i agree with you on the terrifying acting
but seriously why worry? there are things that kill us right now like the cheap bad fast food, smoking, unprotected sex... or apophis which may hit us soon en.wikipedia.org...

On Friday, April 13, 2029, Apophis will pass Earth within the orbits of geosynchronous communication satellites. It will return for another close Earth approach in 2036.

these yellowstone eruptions are happening every 750K years (2.1mil, 1.3mil, 640K years ago) so technically we still have 100K years or so to live
how can anyone in their right minds say "we're overdone by a few hundred years" or so.
this is like the 700 club preacher (pat robertson?) and other religiously enlighted saints constantly making predictions of the end times using his sadistic imagination of atomic wars, terrible food crop failures, pestilence and death from natural events.

the way we're killing each other i can't see human kind surviving another 1000 years anyway. life is always a risk. take it an hour at a time and enjoy what little time you have left instead of worrying so much!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
READ people.. READ...

If this thread's purpose was really supposed to be about whether this is activity is abnormal in some way then I think we have we have established that it is VERY normal for this sort of think to occur. I submit that it even is a GOOD thing... earthquake swarms have traditionally marked either the uplift or subsidence of the caldera. Seeing that it's been in an uplift for 10 years, it's time for it's subsidence.

If this thread's intent is to get everyone all worked up over nothing, then I have no comment.

Originally posted by questioningall

From 1,000 to 3,000 earthquakes typically occur each year within Yellowstone National Park and its immediate surroundings. Although most are too small to be felt, these quakes reflect the active nature of the Yellowstone region, one of the most seismically active areas in the United States. Each year, several quakes of magnitude 3 to 4 are felt by people in the park.
Although some quakes are caused by rising magma and hot-ground-water movement, many emanate from regional faults related to crustal stretching and mountain building. For example, major faults along the Teton, Madison, and Gallatin Ranges pass through the park and likely existed long before the beginning of volcanism there. Movements along many of these faults are capable of producing significant earthquakes. The most notable earthquake in Yellowstone’s recent history occurred in 1959. Centered near Hebgen Lake, just west of the park, it had a magnitude of 7.5. This quake caused $11 million in damage (equivalent to $70 million in 2005 dollars) and killed 28 people, most of them in a landslide that was triggered by the quake.

Geologists conclude that large earthquakes like the Hebgen Lake event are unlikely within the Yellowstone Caldera itself, because subsurface temperatures there are high, weakening the bedrock and making it less able to rupture. However, quakes within the caldera can be as large as magnitude 6.5. A quake of about this size that occurred in 1975 near Norris Geyser Basin was felt throughout the region.

Even distant earthquakes can affect Yellowstone. In November 2002, the magnitude 7.9 Denali Fault earthquake struck central Alaska, 1,250 miles (2,000 km) northwest of Yellowstone. Because this quake’s energy was focused toward the active Yellowstone volcanic and hydrothermal system, it triggered hundreds of small earthquakes there. The region’s hydrothermal system is highly sensitive to quakes and undergoes significant changes in their wake. Earthquakes may have the potential to cause Yellowstone’s hot-water system to destabilize and produce explosive hydrothermal eruptions.

www.yellowstone.net...

I was looking at the EQ's also, but it seems that it is pretty normal for those to occur there.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The above link gives you some history of quakes there, from the USGS site.

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK (AP) — The University of Utah Seismograph Stations report a swarm of small earthquakes in Yellowstone National Park.

The university says the quakes of magnitude 3.5 and lower have been occurring beneath Yellowstone Lake, five to nine miles south-southeast of Fishing Bridge, a park landmark. The earthquakes that began on Friday and continued on Saturday intensified during the weekend, and there were reports that people in the Yellowstone Lake area felt the quakes.

The University of Utah says they've been in an area of the park where swarms are common.

www.greatfallstribune.com...
the above is from link provided.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
small quakes are GOOD. releases the stress.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Do you know if Florida would be harmed if Yellowstone erupts?
Would people in Florida die if this happens?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join