It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 242
<< 239  240  241    243  244  245 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Indy

You are correct...

Just a little p*ssed off with this thread derailing a little bit. I liked when the people who have been on here since page 100 are really constuctive and all of a sudden all kinds of people start repeating the things that have already been spoken about or start posting one liner like: you people need to get outside a little more....
I really have much respect for all the steady (you know who you are!!) posters on here with there unique observational skills. And a joke in between quakes is fine but people who are just on this thread to do only that please shut up and just read. This is a big thead and everybody who hasn't got anything constructive to say, please don't!!

On the subject of false info from the USGS. Who cares...believe me they are not gonna let us know anything if there is something going on.(untill it to late ofcourse) I think the sensors put the info straight on the website be it one or two servers (again who cares) and after it is reviewed by scientists.

Why do some earthquakes disappear?
The earthquake data shown here is automatically generated and despite our best efforts some glitches will create bogus earthquakes. When we find a bogus event, usually by studying the seismograms, we delete it and careful observers may notice that an earthquake has disappeared. This often happens after a large earthquake when our systems don't realize that all of the seismograms were created by a single event. In this case, one earthquake will turn into multiple "events" on the maps. In other cases problems in our telemetry systems that bring the data from our seismometers to our computers create glitches that also can create bogus events. For these reasons it is very important to remember that this data is preliminary and when events disappear they weren't real to begin with.

Ofcourse they would say this....

Shutting up again 'couse i've got no intelligent input but still love to read it!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageturkey
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Only if I had my head in the sand would I think that. Not with all of the evidence we have. But if I did that, you'd have to call me sageostrich!

LOL, what is a sageostrich... i guess an an ostrich that puts its head in the sand.

Well what evidence do you have exactly (other than there were a bunch of 3.someting earthquakes that lasted for a few days)? This happens a lot around the earth with nothing coming of it.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VX-7RThe signals we're seeing on the various seismographs might well be the signals from such shaker trucks being used.

Interesting. This is why USGS needs to come out with an explanation or public comment (even if just here at ATS). I feel quite certain that they either know of have a strong theory about what is causing those repeating signals.

I can only think of three reasons why they won't comment: 1) They are hiding something. 2) They are too busy making personal escape plans. 3) They are two busy laughing.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ponyboy_86

It is more like a catch 22 or chicken and the egg thing. which came first.
You can literally chase your self around the world finding what pushed what to back where you started.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Mushussu]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
reply to post by RFBurns

major snip.....

There is no need to redirect or deflect data. It is simply not a logical solution to the puzzle.

As someone who has designed and programmed SCADA, process control, and lab instrument data acquisition systems for the last 30 years, I have to agree.

At the least, there should be a mechanism to automatically bring the public servers up to date (fill in the holes) if they lose "real time" connection to the server for a while as a way to clear up some kind of bottleneck while the officials directly access things.

That's what I've always given my customers.

But then this is all kind of a "college student project" from the looks of it. Perhaps the way things are set up really is fairly low-tech.

I can't say what IS going on. All I can say is that such a system doesn't *need* to be designed that way.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Would those shaker trucks mentioned work 24h non-stop for days?
We've had these signals for days since the last relevant quake stroke the area and they have never stopped. It seems unlikely to me that such trucks would be used for all this time, also because of running costs, noise, pollution (remember that we're talking about an important national park).

The main clue for signals of human nature is mainly activity occurring only during working hours, by the way.

[edit on 2009/1/6 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

I don't even know where to start. The fact that I type like a 2-year old doesn't help either. I guess the best way to catch how each of us feels and why is to right-click on "post" and read each users posts.
I can't debate using a keyboard and wish I had a bit more time to discuss with you how I feel and what's lead me to this point.
But, I think the biggest thing (as my earthquake alert goes off as I type) is that things are going up all over. Take a look at the big picture.
Gotta run for now but thanks for your contribution! I hope to be able to chat more soon but I've got survival gear to pack. Oh wait, that was last week

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageturkey
reply to post by VX-7R

I actually met a couple "juggies" as they call themselves on a camping trip to Steamboat Springs, CO.

They carried jugs of explosives to set off for that kind of work. Man, can they party!!!

Edit:SP

[edit on 6-1-2009 by sageturkey]

I thought the geophones were affectionately called "jugs" and the folks who had to schlep them around (along with all of the wire) were the "juggies"

The guys I knew had a few very amusing stories - speaking of partying - including an incident (ironically, in Montana) where they were thrown out of a bar one night. Let's just say that a pair of shaker trucks, one on each side of a building, can fairly well simulate a large earthquake. And there's a LOT of "breakable" inventory in a bar ;-)

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Like I said , I would have to see some evidence of them up there.
Useful tools but not 24-7

Unless with generators... it does not take too much energy, they were doing a time plot map for movement..

don't know....interesting thought tho...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
yvo did do an update as of a few hours ago

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
We've had these signals for days since the last relevant quake stroke the area and they have never stopped. It seems unlikely to me that these trucks would be used for all this time.

The main clue for signals of human nature is activity mainly during working hours only.

TThat's a very good point and consider also that here may be many private researchers from all over the world there right now (because it's obvious there's unusual stuff going on). Whether it portends of something catastrophic or not, who knows. You know they're interested. Being that that everything is so privatized in the parks and forests (including fire management) now I wonder who would be allocating time or monitoring access to the various sites for such research? There could be low tech and high tech research activity going on there 24 hours a day at this point.
Thanks everyone.

Crikey

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here's a snippet from the Fox News story on the web. It just appeared. Part of the article "5 Ways the World Could End".
www.foxnews.com...

And the Yellowstone supervolcano — that's right, Yellowstone National Park sits atop a massive magma chamber — will probably take out most of the people living between the Rockies and the Appalachians next time it erupts, which could literally be tomorrow.

That is only a paragraph of a very long article. Oh, just wait till everyone reads that!

[edit on 1/6/09 by opal13]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yeah, avalanche danger would preclude using them in this environment, I would think. People are skiing all over the place, it would probably be a bad idea.

Now back to my regularly scheduled totally baseless speculation:

I wonder if we'll see less uniform signals from Lakeway again now that we're seeing big spikes.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Quoted from the report:

At this time, no one has noted any anomalous changes in surface discharges (hot springs, gas output, etc.).

So officially there's nothing unusual at the moment beneath the lake? What are those strange geyser-like readings of increasing frequency over time on LKWY then? Or is this report outdated even though it's from today?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
reply to post by Ponyboy_86

I've been reading this thread since the beginning and I've waited to see something like you just posted about the plates in the Pacific. You have the San Francisco area marked.

This may be a little off topic but I have to say it.
About 3 weeks ago I dreamed that a huge Tsunami hit this area. In my dream this was huge!
I keep a journal and I wrote about this dream in it.
I've had quite a few dreams come true in my life, like the space shuttle Challenger.
I'm hoping so much this doesn't happen but I have a feeling it will.

since you got on the subject of dreams in the last two weeks since the quake swarm began i dreamt that i was in yellowstone and that she blew her top but in the dream i couldnt get away. i had that dream more then once in the past 6 months and yes a few of my dreams have come true too.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
We've had these signals for days since the last relevant quake stroke the area and they have never stopped. It seems unlikely to me that such trucks would be used for all this time, also because of running costs, noise, pollution (remember that we're talking about an important national park).

The main clue for signals of human nature is mainly activity occurring only during working hours, by the way.

Well, it wouldn't need to be the old, huge shaker trucks from 20-30 years ago. I suspect that they could get by with much smaller devices now because the geophones could be more sensitive and the amplifiers and data processing could be more able to filter out noise, etc. Thus, a smaller amount of shaking might be practical.

And yes, they could run them 24-7 if they wanted to do so. If they were really concerned about this, they'd just man them as needed. Or they could be automatically operated remotely, etc.

But this is purely a wild speculation about a possible source for the very "controlled" signals we seem to be seeing.

It could be totally off base. It's just something that pops into my mind as being more likely than a secret geyser. The very even amplitude of the signals in question makes them look "man made".

They could even be some kind of interference to which the seismograph detectors happen to be sensitive.

I have ZERO evidence that this is from some kind of shaker device or devices being used to map things. It's just a thought.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by opal13
Here's a snippet from the Fox News story on the web. It just appeared. Part of the article "5 Ways the World Could End".
www.foxnews.com...

And the Yellowstone supervolcano — that's right, Yellowstone National Park sits atop a massive magma chamber — will probably take out most of the people living between the Rockies and the Appalachians next time it erupts, which could literally be tomorrow.

That is only a paragraph of a very long article. Oh, just wait till everyone reads that!

[edit on 1/6/09 by opal13]

And we are worried about scaremongering here, on this thead?
MAN!!

link   
I was thinking of this volcano which eruotion is predicted for next days:

vladivostoktimes.ru...

and in this case the warning went out some time ago (the airport is closed for already few days for example). and there were only 400 small eqs which made the scientists sure that the eruption will happen soon.

I know it that Y is the different type of volcano and there is no smoke visible yet but at least some more information should be given and updated to stop the unneccessary panic (if there is really not big probability the eruption to occure).

the lack of the official announcements is starnge. I know that there were few newspaper articles but still is not enough to explain the people the situation. if it would be we wouldn't have this thread ongoing for long enough already.

cheers everybody

link   
GEE's Lakeway data is going nuts. Either there's missing data in spots or its spiked off the charts a couple of times.

link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Originally posted by littleflower

It's not making any sense to me either - it seems to me there could be multiple servers that it goes to simultaneously. The private server would not be accessed by the public and so would not be compromised.

The key word here is "preventative measure", meaning to guarantee that this data is put where it needs to be when it is most important to have that data where it needs to be...in the hands of the extremely qualified geologists and volcanologists who can quickly analyze the data and see if there is any threat.

No one can tell me that they dont understand how a website or a server can be overloaded with tons of hits and data bandwidth clogging and bog down to a next to nothing crawl..that is the last thing the geologists and volcanologists need when trying to get readings from their sensors detecting this siesmic data.

These siesmic sensors that spit out data, are not mega fast 100Ghz speed, 500Gb per second units. And when hundreds of thousands of people start pulling real time data from them through "front door servers", those servers must pull that data even more heavily from the sensors as well, that will cause potential cloggs of the data flow that the scientists need. So the system has a system to prevent that from happening.

We are talking about real time data flow, not stored and segmented stream bits like an audio server or video server. If anyone has watched youtube videos...and I cant imagine who has not...sometimes those videos will pause and buffer and start again. That is the exact thing the scientists do not need to happen to their data flow from the sensors, so the system has a way to prevent that from happening.

Cheers!!!

Sure a server can get bogged down, no one is disputing that.

What is not making sense is that the data stream to the servers isn't bogged down, it is accessing it that gets bogged down.

Why can't the data stream to their private server and the public server at the same time? What would bog down the data stream TO the servers? Nothing .. . .

The origin, POINT A, streams data to private server, POINT B, and public server, POINT C. It doesn't need to go through POINT B to get to POINT C, POINT C can get its data directly from POINT A without affecting POINT B's ability to get its data from POINT A.

So, it's not making sense to me at all.

top topics

<< 239  240  241    243  244  245 >>

join